Have I made a mistake? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

After alot of research, thought, and the opinion or others, I purchased a Ninja ZX6 used. I took the MSC and newly licensed. I'm 5ft tall, 135lbs, and the balls of my feet touch the ground in flats. I loved riding it until I dropped it.... twice on the first two days of ownership. Don't laugh. First time I stopped and had both feet on the ground inching up to the intersection to get a better view of traffic. All of a sudden the bike leaned to the right then it was down. Second time stopped at a stop sign, was going to make a right turn, the bike leaned to the right and boom, down again. Thank God I wasn't hurt either time and dared to get back on after someone else picked it up.
My reasoning for getting the ZX6; feet touched the ground, wouldn't outgrow, and they all are heavy. What am I doing wrong? This dropping [email protected]#T is getting old.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:33 AM
Pete

It's pretty difficult to explain what you might be doing incorrectly without actually seeing you ride. In both these instances, were you walking the bike forward with your feet? I ask because walking it can definitely upset the balance of the bike more than easing forward under power. Either way, it sounds like you should find a big, deserted parking lot, and do some slow-speed maneuvering practice. Finding an experienced rider friend to come along would be a bonus.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:48 AM

Have you looked at lowering the bike a little? Just a tad so you can stand flat footed completely. It may just be a balance thing. My roomate even stands flat footed on his bike and he had it tip over twice in 5 minutes. Definately think you need you use the throttle to ooch forward as well.
Practice also, it isn't normal to have to sit and balance the weight.

www.ftb-racing.com

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:00 PM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by funksouljon
Have you looked at lowering the bike a little?
What I would recommend is an attempt at lowering the ride height first, as opposed to suspension adjustments that lower the entire bike. This can usually be accomplished by going with an aftermarket seat, such as Sargent, where the seat is dished out a bit. You can call Sargent and discuss your intentions with them directly.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to zlicius Send a message via Yahoo to zlicius
wow hun, that sucks.

that's why i got my 250... but i think i'm ready for a bigger one now

are you comfortable on such a big bike? i'm only 5'4" and i'm totally not comfortable on anything bigger than my bike... i can touch with flat feet and bend in the knees...

~*~*~*~*~
Deidra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 Ninja 250r
Good girls don't... but *I* do!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to gmax6
First, gald you are okay.
Second, just my opinion but it sounds like the bike is too large for you. I don't mean to offend you but I'm 5'4 and have a cbr600f4. It's my first bike and i'm doing okay with it but i have the tippy toe thing going too. Sometimes i think if i had it to do over again, I'd have gotten a greymarket 400 or 250 or something. Don't get me wrong, i love my bike but low speed maneuvering is tricky sometimes.

There is no shame in trading down to a smaller displacement bike. The displacement doesn't seem to be the problem for you, the size is. If you were told that you would "outgrow" a smaller bike, maybe you should re-think your decision.

Ask yourself this:
1. Can I safely operate the bike at all times?
2. Am I confident on a bike that weighs over 400 lbs?

The point is this:
You will have just as much fun on a bike with a smaller displacement. It will go plenty fast and if anything, you will be a better rider in less time b/c you are more confident on the smaller bike. It all boils down to your safety.

Hope this helps...

--ger
'99 CBR600 F4
-------------
I have to find a way to make more money and work less.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 03:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Maxi,

Welcome to the forums. Congrats on the new bike and I'm glad you're alright.

It sounds like to me that the bike is leaning just a little bit on you and then it's too much to hold up at a dead stop. Don't sweat it, it happens - especially when you are just starting out on a heavy bike like the six. What year is it?

I had a 93 ZX6D for sometime. I had several years of riding under my belt by the time I bought it. I dropped mine too and at a near stand still. It's a heavy bike and you really have to concentrate on keeping it upright when stopping. Right now your mind is very busy with the controls of the bike when you are riding. You are concentrating less on keeping it upright and more say on getting it in the right gear or traffic around you.

This happens alot in the first couple of rides with some new owners... don't feel bad it's not uncommon. One of my past girlfriends used to drop my Ninja 250 (When I had it) everytime she came to a stop. Everytime. A little patience and persaverance (SP??) and she was fine.

I think what Pete said is a good idea, take your bike to a parking lot and get used to it's weight when coming to a stop. Go up a couple gears, then go down and stop. If you do it a few times, it will sit in the back of your mind when you have to worry about other things.

Don't get discouraged, you just need to get a little time under your belt. Accept that it may happen again and don't fear that possibility and you probably won't drop it again. I think every newbie I've spoken to has somehow dropped their bike in the first week or two. I don't think you need to change bikes. Just practice a little and try not to worry too much.

Plus, I live close to ya and I do fairing repair

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 04:45 PM

Pete, that is what I meant, but I guess I didn't say exactly that. Thanks for clarifying. Another option or combonation would be a aftermarket seat that is a little lower in the cushion. Since you touch the ground you only need to be little bit lower to be planted.

www.ftb-racing.com

Last edited by funksouljon; 05-14-2001 at 04:47 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone. I take no offense and hear each of you loud and clear. I learned on a suzuki 250 & a buell blast (yuk) 500cc, 372 lbs and never dropped it. ZX6e is a '95 and it said buy me. This bike has a smaller front spocket (I think that's right). I'm considering adjusting the suspension and buying REAL riding boats with a heel. I have an experienced rider who is going to help me out. I'll be doing some strength training at the gym. Parking lot here I come. This forum is great. This has been a great help and confidence healer. West Chester Pa, good to know you can help with appearances. God Bless You All!!!
P.S. Yes, I was walking with both feet on the ground when I dropped it the first time. Second time came to a stop, believe I had both tippy toes on the ground. Felt it lean to the right, tried to keep it up, but my new friend said NOT.

Max
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Glad to hear it! Keep us posted of how things are going. Happy riding.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode