not a girl but.....?????? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Talking

im a male with a question... im trying to teach my girl how to ride.... she seems to be doing fine, i think shes doing great, but what do you ladies recommend that i should or that she should do to relax more or to learn better????? shes learning on a gsxr 750, so its got a lot of power for her at this time...... what do you guys recommend or how did you learn......????? /:-}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by srad
im a male with a question... im trying to teach my girl how to ride.... she seems to be doing fine, i think shes doing great, but what do you ladies recommend that i should or that she should do to relax more or to learn better????? shes learning on a gsxr 750, so its got a lot of power for her at this time...... what do you guys recommend or how did you learn......????? /:-}

That, my friend, is a totally LOADED post!

I ain't touchin' it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser

I ain't touchin' it.
I won't go near it John were you at
Pete you got an answer

Chris
Eric Bostrom Rules(say it with me RCJohn) Eric Bostrom Rules!!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 04:16 PM

Cool

How about you and your lady doing a motorcycle safety course. It's free and offered by the Dept of Transportion. They supply the bikes and helmets. She'll be able to learn on something a little less intimadating. She'll learn proper technique, life saving skills, and gain confidence. She'll go for her license at the site at the end of the course. I did it and loved it. Got the best score in the class against 2 previously licensed riders, 7 experienced riders, and 3 first time riders including myself. I rode several different bikes. Now I know the type of bike I like and can handle.

Max
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 06:32 PM

I agree with Maxi. I also took the MSF course and really enjoyed it, but mine wasn't free. The MSF course gave me more confidence on the road. I just took the advanced riders course a month or so ago. It was helpful to brush up on skills if you weren't able to get much riding in over the winter.

best regards,
Mindy
EX500
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to NinjaChick
I took the MSF course also. It helped using a bike that wasn't mine, so if I dropped it at least I wouldn't be teary eyed that I messed it up. I'd be more like "cool, thank gawd it wasn't mine"!! Oh, and by the way, I didn't drop it and haven't dropped mine...yet <knock on wood>. So bearing that in mind, I felt I was able to try the course with a lot less worry and more confidence. I loved the course.

I get more confidence the more I ride. I have a set pace and go past it some more each time.....though the last time I went out with my hubby Wayne, Stacia, and her hubby T.J., I went past it a bit too much....so the three of them have their "banshee" runs while I'm at work. It took me a few months before I did my first "road trip". Which wasn't really that far, it was to Biketoberfest. I had a blast. So, get her out there and let her set her own pace. The more she rides, the more confidence she'll get.

Karlyn

Yeah.....my bike's purple....and??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 07:26 PM

Smile

The first thing I started to learn was how to stop the bike and learn how to use the brakes. My husband made me start learning on hills going down with no motor running. Just in neutral and stopping at the bottom of the hill. He would drive the bike back up with me and I would go down again and again until I learned just how much brake pressure to apply and where. Then he got me going straight and then on turning. That was the hardest part because I always did better turning left than right. I was on the bike for a couple of months before I ever went on the road. That built my confidence up more than anything. Not having to mess with traffic really helped. I was doing all this in a new development that was going up and only 2 houses were built there. We have the HJC intercoms too so he was and still is always coaching me. I can't count how many times I had dumped the clutch and how much patience he had with me. I learned on a CB1100F. That was one heavy bike, but now I feel I could handle pretty much any bike that weight. And we didn't pay a lot for the bike so I didn't feel so bad when I dumped it. Usually I headed for the grass when I felt I was losing control. LOL. I took the MSF course too and that taught me a lot about cornering and looking and leaning into turns. I didn't regret taking it and it was free. After being on the CB1100 though the bikes they had felt like mopeds. I learn something new everytime I go out there, I'm sure everybody does and I don't regret ever getting one of my own. She'll enjoy every minute of it once she gets enough confidence to know she can really do it. Best wishes and all the fun ahead.

Tammey
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Wink

thanks for all the info, i will put it to good use and hope that she can learn so she can go riding with me.......
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 01:26 PM
Just a girl

First off, don't take this as a flame, it isn't meant to be at all, but get her off that GSXR 750!! Between the radical riding position and amount of power, that has to be intimidating as hell for a brand new rider and if it isn't, it should be. Plus, she's probably very nervous that she might damage your bike. One bad experience with something like that and you'll probably never get her back on any motorcycle again.

Second, do like everyone has suggested. Get her into an MSF course. They are not free everywhere but it's well worth the money and will give her immense amounts of self confidence and also get her the motorcycle endorsement on her license without too much hassle.

She'll be cruising along right with you in no time and then you'll come here to complain about how every time you want something for your bike, she'll have to have something too. Gets expensive having two riders in the family, but it sure is fun!!

Stacia
'00 CBR F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

i feel what you guys are saying, she will dafenetly will be going to the class, the thing is that here it cost $200, and it takes a while to get into the class..... all your info helps, i think it will be fun having her along side of me, insteat of in the back.................../;-]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode