recommend a bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

hi! I am looking to buy my first sport bike in the next few months. However I am only 5' tall with limited upper body strength(but I'm working on that) and I am having trouble finding a bike a feel comfortable on. Can anyone suggests some bikes I might want to try out? Thanks to anyone who can give me some advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:19 PM
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Robert
Being 5' tall really limits your choices (like you didn't know that already ,sorry...)

You might want to check out a Ninja 250 and Ninja 500

P.S. Welcome to Sportbike World!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder
(Who needs sleep?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:26 PM
Dad

Have you tried the Ninja 250? I think that is about as small as you're going to find. The only other thing is to talk to the mechanics and have them help you lower whatever you get. This can be done but you sacrifice some of the handling/corner clearance in the process. If you're a newbie though, chances are it will be a while until that becomes an issue. Tell us more, there's probably help to be had.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
After trying some bikes out
the ninja250 was definitely the best fit.
But I wasn't ready to settle on that yet.
I was hoping I'd have some more options
but thanks again.
Lindsey
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:38 PM

I have to agree with Robert. Our height works against us girls.

I'm 5'3" and I have an EX500. Anything bigger than that was a little too tall (especially to start out on). But don't let your height stop you - it's definitely possible!

Good luck bike shopping!

Stephanie
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:35 AM
Umbrella girl chaser

Don't get hung up about having both feet on the ground at a stop. If you can balance the bike leaned over on just your left foot without struggling, you should be ok. The worst part will be backing out of parking places. Park on a gentle incline when possible. Also, look into a Corbin saddle. They are said to be more comfortable than stock and can be formed to give you an extra inch or so in the seat height. I would try and avoid adjusting the ride height as far as the suspension is concerned as much as possible though. Good luck.

Clark

"I like the water gun idea..."~Will "the mad man" Darton
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:26 PM

ZX6

My wife stands 4' 10" tall she tried out the ninja 250 and 500 but found the ninja zx6 to be the most comfy of them all, she also found that she felt more control with the 600 rather than the 250 or 500. the best advice for you is to not be intimidated by the size of any bike.... try sitting on all of them before you buy one based on the thoughts of others. Ride well
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:30 PM

What bike?

I agree with jafarleyusa.... check out all kinds of different bikes and different size bikes and buy the one that screams "buy me!!" You will know which one that is when you see/sit on it. The important thing is to buy the one YOU like, not the one someone talks you into. After all you are the one who has to live with that purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: gif car1[1].gif (46.8 KB, 682 views)
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Smile

hey once again i'd like to thank you all for your tips. everyone is this forum is great. THANKS! Lindsey
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:04 PM
sportcycles

Youv'e gotta try a Suzuki SV650. I had a 2000 model (pre upper fairing and clip-ons). This bike is sweet, it has a fairly low seat height, is easy to ride and more fun than the 250 and 500 Ninjas! The 2001 SV650S models have and upper fairing and clip-on handlebars as well as higher mounted footpegs. Im not sure what the seating position is like on these. But the 99-00 models have a standard one piece handlebar with a comfortable grip level, and lower footpegs which make for a very comfortable seat position. Also, you won't "outgrow" the SV 650 like you probably would with either of the Kaws. Even experienced riders are pleased with this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode