does anyone else have this problem? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Question

I'm just a newbie, but I had to ask this question -

I've only had my bike a few weeks, but already, I've noticed that I never seem to get waited on when I go to buy something. I went in one day fully expecting to buy a helmet, but no one would wait on me. And of course, the small helmets were on the top shelf, so I couldn't even get it to bring it to the counter. I finally just walked out. This happened to me at two separate places.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or am I just invisible to these particular salespeople?

If you have, I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on making myself a little more noticable.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 08:40 PM
Dad

Don't assume that because you're a girl this is happening, although some may not recognize you as a customer right away. Most guys actually enjoy seeing women riders!

Some places the service just sucks. If you go to the counter and ask, and they still don't help you, then you did the only thing you can do. Ask other riders in your area who's good to deal with and try them. You'll eventually find a good shop.

By the way, welcome to the biking community, good luck!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 09:47 PM

Wink This works

Yep as dad said i dont think it`s cause your female.I never get served in bike shops either,i just thought thats how they all were so just make ya self at home try on that flash $1000 dollar helmet/boots.I found out that works when i brought my new bike i went in and sat on a brand new rsv mille played around a bit and they were there in a flash with " can i help u sir?"My reply "yep how much u got on that second hand yzf?"
Cya

Buy treaded knee sliders,they give better grip in the wet.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 06:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Definitely has nothing to do with your gender. Some of the East Tenn. dealers are that way too.

It has happened to me specifically AT POWERSPORTS OF KNOXVILLE. They are a bunch of losers.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 07:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Xsentrick Send a message via Yahoo to Xsentrick
Stephani,

I agree with what the others have said. In fact I bought my bike in Houston, and then I went to some of the dealers there and dealt with the same thing. They know there stuff, but most of them just aren't service oriented.

I live in Dallas and the dealers here are pretty much the same way, with the exception of one or two that I ahve been to.

"Victims, aren't we all?"

http://rewardhits.com/index.php?hit=5860
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:31 AM

Actually, I have had the opposite happen to me. I can just be looking and drooling, and about ten (slight exageration ) pounce all over me. Sometimes, I wonder if being female causes salesmen to think in big dollar signs.

Strangers have the best candy!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 10:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1fastchick
Either I don't get waited on or I have 10 guys asking me If I need help. And it usually happens when I am just looking/waiting on a friend......

Just speak up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A place or the women riders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
They tend to treat my wife like she is some dumbass when she goes into a dealership. She lets them go for a little an then starts showing them how little they actually know.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:30 AM
Umbrella girl chaser

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
They tend to treat my wife like she is some dumbass when she goes into a dealership
You know what they say; you're always judged by the company you keep. J/K John

Clark

"I like the water gun idea..."~Will "the mad man" Darton
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tgal
I find that my gender DOES have an ill effect on the attitude towards me in dealerships. At least around here. And "Powersports" was the worst! I go in there alone and have to basically demand attention if I need help. I go into the same dealership with my husband and they swarm all over him. I love the look on thier faces when he says "Yes, my wife here needs some help" and then he walks away. They always look dumbfounded. It is a shame, but a fact, that *sometimes* your gender makes a difference in how seriously you are treated.
The day I bought my current bike I went into the dealership alone, with my bike to be traded. I went to look at a used F3 they had advertised. I must have been there for 1 hour sitting on the F3 and a new
ZX-6E. There were plenty of salespeople there and only a few customers. I made eye contact at least a dozen times and they would just smile at me and walk the other way! UGH!!!!! I made sure a salesperson was close by and called my hubby on the cell phone. I said "Hunny, I found 2 bikes I like here can you meet me up here so I can get some service? I am being ignored" WOW! Talk about change of attitude!! If I had more options I would have left and found another dealership. But there was only one other locally (within 50 miles of my house, if that is local!!) and they would only give me $1500 on trade in. This dealership gave me $2500....worth the lack of service to begin with. Anyway I got off the phone and hubby was on the way and low and behold...I HAD SERVICE!!!!! The guy even admitted that girls dont usually shop there except for clothes. I could have slapped him! I ended up buying a '01 ZX6R, wish I could have given the sale to some other dealership....but what can ya do? Even now when I go in there I have to remind the same salesperson what he sold me, otherwise I get disregarded.
Damn, sorry so long winded.....thats my story and I am sticking to it!!

Tgal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode