Too much bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Too much bike?

My wife is currently taking a local class (after hours of learning from me!) and is going to start riding on her own next year. We currently have an '07 Ninja ZX6R and she is afraid it is too much bike (too fast) for her. I have noticed a lot of the female riders on this board have 600's and even a few larger bikes; Does anyone see it being a problem for her to learn on a quicker bike as opposed to getting her something she will get tired of in a year? She is about 5'4" and 115lbs. She is strong and can touch on the ZX6R. Any suggestions or words of encouragement? Plus, if she can handle the 600, I get to upgrade for myself. (selfish) Thanks ladies!

KR Tuned Exhaust/ BMC Race Filter/ PCIII/ DB Windscreen/ +2 Vortex rear/ Red EK Chain/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 AM

Hate to burst your bubble, but that is too much bike for a newbie.

The fact that your spouse already feels intimidated by the bike is also a red flag.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 501RYDA
I don't think that it's too much bike for her to learn on but due to the simple and most important fact that she does is reason to get her a smaller bike to learn on.

Everybody seems to think that bikes are immature and careless and uncontrollable but bikes only do what they are told to do.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 501RYDA
...Everybody seems to think that bikes are immature and careless and uncontrollable but bikes only do what they are told to do.
Which is why it's best to start on a beginner-friendly bike, like the Kawi 500cc.

Marginally incorrect inputs from the rider, a common thing among newb's, are multiplied on a race rep. It's not just about the power; The brakes and steering geometry are a lot tamer on the 500's.

Do your wife, your family and your friends a favour and buy her a beginner's bike. There's plenty of years ahead of you to upgrade to bigger and (not necessarilly) better things.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Why did I ask?

Damn it! You all make such sense, that you are making me feel dumb for considering the idea of putting her on that bike! I thank you all very much for your input and know that I would feel horrible if she were to crash due to the difference between that bike and a beginner bike. Thank You

KR Tuned Exhaust/ BMC Race Filter/ PCIII/ DB Windscreen/ +2 Vortex rear/ Red EK Chain/
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:36 PM

Re: Why did I ask?

Quote:
Originally posted by ninjabully
Damn it! You all make such sense, that you are making me feel dumb for considering the idea of putting her on that bike! I thank you all very much for your input and know that I would feel horrible if she were to crash due to the difference between that bike and a beginner bike. Thank You
Glad we could help.

FTR, my wife rides a 250. We both learned to ride on it, then it became hers when I bought the 1100. I've tried to talk to her about upgrading to a 600 (the old ZZR-600's are exactly the same as the 250, except for engine and a couple of other things), but she's more than happy to ride the 250. It's got enough get-up and go for her (I've had it out to 170km/h - 110mph) and it's nice and light, so she feels comfortable on it.

That's all that matters, mate, 'cause when my wife's happy, I'm happy.

Don't forget to post up some pic's of her new ride when you get it.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 04:33 PM

My bike is the one I learned on and I would not change it for anything in the world!! I learned on a Ninja 1000R. Thats a HUGE bike for a chick to learn on, it took lots of patience and time. Only your wife will know if it's too much for her or not. My family was wanting me to start on omething smaller, but I would have been sick of it within a few weeks and want something bigger any ways.

Does this bike make my butt look fast??
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:00 AM

2 much bike? - depends

Ok first of all, I'm a female and just 5' 6" and 125 I started on a 600 - and it was just fine, but it was a HawkGT.

I rode the New Kawasaki's you speak of at the Keith Code Calif Superbike school this summer and I don't think it's too much bike. It is light and nimble. If it is still stock jetting and you haven't messed with it tried to turn it into a rocket then as long as she isn't going to get carelessly aggressive with the throttle she'll be good. Just don't scare her with it. The bike is a good one and she doesn't need to run it at high rpm. Guys do more to scare women off bikes just by acting like dumbasses! Show her by riding the bike in a quiet controlled style. no fast starts. etc. If you are wild with the clutch and throttle the bike seems uncontrollable to the new female rider. It's a great bike. But as my buddy told me when i got my 996 (also said to be "too much for a woman") it's just a bike - ride it. She can email me if she would like and I will be happy to talk to her about any of it !

mary louise

viva italia!
ah . . .the elegance of a single-sided swingarm!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Re: 2 much bike? - depends

Quote:
Originally posted by DucGrrl
Ok first of all, I'm a female and just 5' 6" and 125 I started on a 600 - and it was just fine, but it was a HawkGT.

I rode the New Kawasaki's you speak of at the Keith Code Calif Superbike school this summer and I don't think it's too much bike. It is light and nimble. If it is still stock jetting and you haven't messed with it tried to turn it into a rocket then as long as she isn't going to get carelessly aggressive with the throttle she'll be good. Just don't scare her with it. The bike is a good one and she doesn't need to run it at high rpm. Guys do more to scare women off bikes just by acting like dumbasses! Show her by riding the bike in a quiet controlled style. no fast starts. etc. If you are wild with the clutch and throttle the bike seems uncontrollable to the new female rider. It's a great bike. But as my buddy told me when i got my 996 (also said to be "too much for a woman") it's just a bike - ride it. She can email me if she would like and I will be happy to talk to her about any of it !

mary louise
Not anything to do at all with the bike being too much for a woman. It's too much bike for a new rider, male or female.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to CHILLY69~
heres what i tell alot of girls who are just starting to ride anyone who is starting to ride doesnt matter male or female it dont make a difference a 6 is perfect for starting because something like a 250 or a 500 you out grow fast and when you do that you get cocky take it from me thats the worst thing you can do on a bike with a 600 she would learn the most important thing about riding and that would be respect for the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode