Too much bike? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 PM

Thank you - finally

what you said is SO true. A 600 is a great platform for learning - I loved mine, I would have been bored on a 250 in 10 minutes. I do so recommend the MSF course - what i learned there - about reading traffic and controlled evasive tactics has saved my bacon any number of times. (the pipes will really come off the back of the pick-up truck and drivers will smile, wave and turn right into U - we've all seen it.) Best of all you get your license without having to suffer the arrogance of your local state trooper - which for a female - is a total bonus! Best to learn on MSF rubber! I still love my 600 and was going to get the 600RR before i met the love of my life - the 996. Respect the bike and it will teach U volumes. After taking the keith code school I realized that the only thing in a rider's way is arrogance and inattention. These machines are impeccably engineered - all of them. Most of us will never push their limits.
I'm still learning - I've got about 10k miles and a dozen track days so I still feel like a beginner myself. But what held me back(for years) in the beginning was a well meaning boyfriend who talked me into being scared of the bike. Any new rider needs to respect it but also realize that you just need to go at your own pace and learn the ropes and the rewards far outweigh the obvious risks. Ride it and learn it - it is an inherently good thing.( I have had many women tell me the same thing - they got scared of the bike because someone was riding wildly and they felt that it was the bike that was out of control.) They are machines - they respond to our input - guys - if you want your women to ride don't scare the *&%$ out of them - wheelies with passenger = bad =-) EEEW I sound preachy - not my style - It just bugs me when people scare U to death then tell U something that is quite doable is too much for U - in the end though - any new rider should only ride what he or she is comfortable with. 'sides - we all want more sportbikes out there right?!

ml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Strength and Honor

Re: 2 much bike? - depends

Quote:
Originally posted by DucGrrl
Ok first of all, I'm a female and just 5' 6" and 125 I started on a 600 - and it was just fine, but it was a HawkGT.

I rode the New Kawasaki's you speak of at the Keith Code Calif Superbike school this summer and I don't think it's too much bike. It is light and nimble. If it is still stock jetting and you haven't messed with it tried to turn it into a rocket then as long as she isn't going to get carelessly aggressive with the throttle she'll be good. Just don't scare her with it. The bike is a good one and she doesn't need to run it at high rpm. Guys do more to scare women off bikes just by acting like dumbasses! Show her by riding the bike in a quiet controlled style. no fast starts. etc. If you are wild with the clutch and throttle the bike seems uncontrollable to the new female rider. It's a great bike. But as my buddy told me when i got my 996 (also said to be "too much for a woman") it's just a bike - ride it. She can email me if she would like and I will be happy to talk to her about any of it !

mary louise
There is a chasm of difference between riding a bike at the track under close supervision by coaches who can obliterate many advanced riders and riding on the street. Riding the track is very enviable and an excellent way to advance your skills rapidly. Riding the street requires a great deal more caution since there are countless more things that can go wrong as compared to the very controlled track setting. Ignore these factors at your own peril

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 AM

I'm 5'7" and 125 lbs. All my "guys" (dad, brother, bfs) have always told me that it's no big deal to learn on a bigger bike and I can certainly handle it. For me, nothing is more important than learning on something that I'm comfortable with and confident on. The last thing I want is to be afraid of the bike while learning how to ride it. I'd get her a used 250 and sell it in a couple months once she's ready to try the 600. The 250s hold their value really well since there aren't many options for newbies. Just don't make her feel bad for speaking up if she's not ready for the 600.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM

Please do not put your beloved wife on a 600cc supersport as a first bike. And listen to the voices of reason here that tell you the same. The others are mostly kids who don't know any better.

One of the best analogies I've heard for this is the car one - would you teach a brand-new driver to go out and buy a Ferrari? Or something with the power and response of an Indy car? Then why would you put a new rider on anything similar?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 AM

Women can be good drivers , if they drive carefully . Stats show that women involve in less accidents then men . But at the same time drive carefully .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sikander; 04-20-2011 at 07:28 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 PM

I learned on a Kawasaki ZX 10r...I guess it was a trial by fire? I was told I COULD learn to ride on it not that it was recommended for a noob, I took it and gave it the respect it deserved and took it slow getting the feel of it. I dunno guess I did it all backwards, but these day's I wouldn't have anything below a 1000cc. But I do see the point, if shes not comfortable with it I wouldn't bother and get a diff bike if thats what she wants. Things can get out of hand in a hurry if some one can't handle it.

I for one love extremes weather it be speed or HP I HOPE I have both lol. My old bike before I had to sell it was a Kawasaki ZX 10r, I had a lot of mods done to it, a lot of Yoshimura engine and exhaust mods by the time I was done with it it nearly pushed as much as any Busa out there with a top speed of 220mph.

To my friends I'm a certifiable nutcase, Speed Queen and voted most likely to die on my bike. On the other side of the spectrum I love my bikes and want to keep them looking show floor new, so I am careful of how I ride...I just have my moments where I want to see the line blur ya know?

I think the best thing to do is take your time and get to know your machine, my saying is this...You have TWO bags...One filled with luck, the other empty for use to gather experience...work on filling the one bag and make sure you don't run out of the other ROFL!

女性は東京から *Official hater of HD's and 4 Wheel trans!*

Last edited by Asagiri1; 05-30-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Modified the text
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 AM

Great book to read for first bike

Here is a great read for gals..a direct, comprehensive guide to buying your first motorcycle.

Have a look at this book on Amazon:

Happy and safe riding!

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 AM

As a woman rider. im 5'10'' and i started on a ninja 250. i also had no idea how to work a bike clutch. i had no prior experience, no dirt bike no 4 wheeler. i am very thankful that i did get the 250. BUT! i only had it one season. i needed something bigger the next year. Thats gonna be the problem. I feel that if shes iffy on riding and afraid of her bike then its not even worth trying her on the 600. If shes no comfortable and confident on the 600 please please please get a 250. if shes afraid is wont be comfortable and i think, thats the number one turn off to girls riding bikes. i see it all the time, girls buying 600s and they are just to scared of it and give up after a the first season. If shes afraid she wont enjoy it like she should. ALso i can say that i am not just a good rider, im an excellent rider. my bike is part of me. 1000s are left in the dust all day in turns, and i honestly believe that its due to starting on the 250. This is my advise and i would offer this to anyone...man or woman....
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 PM

It is decent thing, that we catch so many bikes on the road and even at the home of some peoples. Nowadays on every single track of city, you'll find bikes or scooters.

www.sportbikeworld.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode