Help - Trying to be a new Rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Help - Trying to be a new Rider

Ok, here's the thing.. Divorced 2 years ago - Met an amazing man last year.. I have always loved and have been facinated over CrotchRockets/SportBikes - I have 6brothers and have always been a bit tougher than most chics.

So my new love has been riding for years - Probably the reason I chose him! He soon realized my love for riding would soon go past being his passenger.
I want to ride! and Not behind him...

We were riding a 96 Ninja GX750 - A beautiful Custom bike that runs better than most new ones (the reason we still have it) and decided to buy new - Now we have a Suzuki GSXR1000 - I want to ride the Ninja GX750 - Is this impossible? I am 5'6 and 150lbs. The bike is Huge and Very Heavy.

He started teaching me in a parking lot and the first 2x I aced his lessons - couldnt believe it. 3rd lesson - I dropped her! on an angle street uphill on the right.. came to a stop and dropped her on the left. I have been so fearful of getting back on her - How do I over come this? I Dont know if I was so fearful of dropping her or his dissapointment of me dropping her..

HELP! - I want to Be A RIDER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Phoenix Area

I forgot to mention I am in the Phoenix Area and am looking to hook up w/ Sportbike clubs/groups. We've been riding a while - and still have not met up w/ any. Any help is appreciated!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:21 AM

I'm guessing that the bike you refer to, GX-750, is a ZX-750 (aka ZX-7) If so, you're right, its a big and heavy sportbike. Additionally, it has a lot of power for a beginner to manage. Big, heavy, and powerful- not a good combination for a newbie.

If you guys want to hold onto it, maybe you could consider buying a cheap, more user friendly beginner bike- like a Ninja 500R for about $2000. Ride it for a season or two, sell it for what you bought it for, and then try the ZX-7.

Either that, or sell the ZX-7 and use the money towards something like a Suzuki SV-650 or Kawasaki Ninja 650R. (another pair of more beginner friendly bike choices)

Last edited by zxrider; 04-30-2007 at 09:23 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

ZX-750

Yes - thank you for correcting me - I was mixed up w/ the New GSXR1000. Thank you for the advice.. I will look into the 2 bikes mentioned..
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:50 AM

Zxrider said it all.

I love the ZX-7, too. I refer to them as "whale sharks" due to the look of the front end. However, at almost 450lbs and with 120bhp on tap, they're certainly not a beginner's ride.

Edt: I've said it before and I'll say it countless times again, I'm sure; Starting on a smaller bike will make you a better rider. You can concentrate on technique, instead of just trying to keep up with a bike that is too much for your skill level.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

Last edited by cookeetree; 04-30-2007 at 10:55 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I Love the ZX-750

It is a beautiful bike - Runs great - Sounds amazing..
My BF is hell bent on me learning on that bike - But after all - it's my life, my safety and I just won't commit to impress anyone at the expense of my life and the lives of those around me. He keeps saying - If I learn on this bike - I could ride ANY bike - Very true, But at what expense..

Thanks again for all the advice.. I am currently looking for an older more 'newrider' friendly bike..
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Re: I Love the ZX-750

Quote:
Originally posted by thefastblack
...My BF is hell bent on me learning on that bike - But after all - it's my life, my safety and I just won't commit to impress anyone at the expense of my life and the lives of those around me. He keeps saying - If I learn on this bike - I could ride ANY bike - Very true, But at what expense...
His theory is flawed for the reasons I explained in my edit.

If he respects and cares for you, he would not be putting you in a position of pushing you beyond your abilities.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:54 PM

after cringing reading the term "crotchrocket"(that actually hurt to type).I read the other posts and agree completely, starting with a more beginner friendly bike will increase your ability to focus on learning.making the entire experience more enjoyable, without the fear of learning on a machine your intimidated by.

p.s. I don't think the learning experience should include plaster but thats just my

Danny
2006 yamaha FZ6
always remember when in doubt gas it!!!
Tyler Durden says "use soap"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Danny

For correcting me on the term that was painful for you to write!
I'll make sure to delete that from my vocab, sure didn't know it wasn't a term well taken..

Yes my decision has been made and I am now heavily looking for a 'newbie' bike that I can handle.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Re: Thanks Danny

Quote:
Originally posted by thefastblack
For correcting me on the term that was painful for you to write!
I'll make sure to delete that from my vocab, sure didn't know it wasn't a term well taken..

Yes my decision has been made and I am now heavily looking for a 'newbie' bike that I can handle.
Glad to hear I think you will be glad with your decision.

wishing you many years of fun & enjoyment!!!!

Danny
2006 yamaha FZ6
always remember when in doubt gas it!!!
Tyler Durden says "use soap"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode