buying a bike and i need some help! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: what size or what kind
ninja 250 2 22.22%
r6 0 0%
ninja 500 6 66.67%
something else?? 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

buying a bike and i need some help!

I've been thinking about getting a bike for a few years now and i need some help picking one... i am 5 foot ten and not very strong... i was thinking a 250 but someone told me because of how tall i am i should get a bigger bike... any ideas??? please help!!!

thanks!!

Jess♥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 06:50 AM

First off, you should take the MSF course. You can get your liscence, you learn a few things, and you get to see what is important to you in a bike... and you get to do it all on their bike.

At 5'10" you shouldnt have much of a problem reaching. I'd look into the EX250/500 SV650 or the ninja650. All are good bikes, I would think the 250 might be a touch slow (Tops out around 90-100mph). Definetly stay away from race replicas for your first bike. Those are bikes like the R1/R6, ZX6/ZX10, GSXR600/1000, CBR600/1000. Those bikes are all no compromize race bikes. They are made to be very responsive, which means they will respond to your mistake faster than you might be able to correct it.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
First off, you should take the MSF course. You can get your liscence, you learn a few things, and you get to see what is important to you in a bike... and you get to do it all on their bike.

i do plan on doing that when it stops snowing... if that will ever happen lol..

my sister who is 5 2 if she's lucky has a 250 ninja.. and i have been on it several times.. and i like how it feels.. but it does feel a little small for me.. would a bigger size have a bigger frame?

Jess

*~Jess~*

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by o3kbgirl
i do plan on doing that when it stops snowing... if that will ever happen lol..

my sister who is 5 2 if she's lucky has a 250 ninja.. and i have been on it several times.. and i like how it feels.. but it does feel a little small for me.. would a bigger size have a bigger frame?

Jess
I believe the 500 has the same frame as a 250, but I dont know for sure. The 650's both have larger frames.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
gs500f

a lady friend of mine bought a gs500f for her first bike and it was great to learn on and also still has it. shes very short and touches no problem on it. definately take a course though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
TMP

I agree with Vash, stay off the race bikes until you become more experienced. Also I would recommend going to a dealer and sitting on a lot of different bikes so you can get a feel for what fits you. You are blessed being 5'10", you will never be one of those riders that have to use their tippy toes to reach the ground.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much... i am going to go look at some next week... and dont worry i know how to ride, but i still plan on taking the course... and i dont want anything too big for my first bike.. i wont be doing any racing... trust me lol

*~Jess~*
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to slick1537
sv650s and ninja650r are two of the more attractive 650 twins.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to zepolveda
I would buy a cheap learner bike first

Because if it's your very first bike, you're gonna drop it, and it'll suck to scratch your gorgeous new fairings, break your clutch lever, and who knows what else.

What I did a year ago was have fun sitting in showrooms, found the models that fit, and bought a much older used model from a private owner.

I'm pretty limited, since I'm only 5'3", but you could get something really cool like a used BMW.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Quote:
Originally posted by o3kbgirl
Thanks so much... i am going to go look at some next week... and dont worry i know how to ride, but i still plan on taking the course... and i dont want anything too big for my first bike.. i wont be doing any racing... trust me lol
Hey, I am also in Pittsburgh, PA... so if you wanna meet up and talk bikes sometime, PM me.

I, too, am 5'10" and I can say that the Ninja 250 feels cramped. My godson's mom has a 250, and it was a TON of fun to ride, but I couldn't sit on it for a long period of time. I started on a Suzuki GS500, and it was not too big, but not too small. It was a comfy bike for a starter, especially since I could actually bend my knees when I was seated on the bike. I was never afraid to park on a slope because I knew I could use my legs to push it wherever I needed it to go. I am really wimpy (no upper arm strength... it sucks to be a girl) so the only way I can move a bike around is by sitting on it and pushing it with my legs. I haven't put any real seat time in on an SV650, so I can't say if it would be comfortable or not... and I haven't even seen a Kaw Ninja 650 in person, so I can't begin to say what it might be like.

I know it didn't help much, but I haven't been in the market for a bike for years now. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode