Scared to tears.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Scared to tears....

I am new to this forum and this is my first post, but I need some serious help.

I have been on bikes since I was 3, and Ive been riding alone since I was 14, I am now 22. My first "real" bike was a naked '96 GS500. It broke down and I was unable to fix it, thus it has been between 3 or 4 years since I have been on a bike. I always said that when I got my next bike that I wouldnt get anything too heavy that I couldnt pick up alone.

My BF and I were out "looking" at bikes the other day and somehow we ended up buying a brand spankin new bike for each of us. He got an '06 CBR1000, and I got an '06 CBR600. Now keep in mind that I hadridden bikes quite a lot untill I had to stop against my will. The bike was beautiful in the showroom and I was so excited when I got it home....and then it hit me.

I am 5'6" and on the balls of my feet on my CBR600. I cant push it, I cant pull it, I cant sit on it and be stable. I turned it on the first time, didnt even move it off the kick stand and it scared me to death. It has sat in my driveway for 2 days now and I wont touch it. I am so terrified of the bike because of its weight and height that I cant bring myself to move it. Ive had my share of spills and crashes and I'm not looking forward to doing anything on this bike. As soon as I sit on it my nerves are shot and I just become a nervous wreck, I cant even think straight. Just thinking of that bike makes me start to shake.

So today, day 2, we were at a cycle shop looking at gear and the guy working there had a '06 ZX6 Ninja and when I sat on it my feet were a little closer to the ground (but only by about a half inch) and I just felt so much more comfortable on it, it felt totaly light...way lighter than my CBR600 and I wasnt scared at all. After going online and looking up the curb weight on it, it looked about the same as my CBR...

So whats going on? Am I just playing mind games, is there really a difference in the weight or maybe where the weight is placed? Ive been reading about women riders, and they say the CBR600 is a great bike for women...but to me that just sounds like insanity....can anyone help put my mind at ease? Should I just suck it up and keep my new CBR or do I take it back and get something else? I'm very open at the moment....someone please give me honest input from a weight and height standpoint. I'm not very strong so weight is very important to me

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 07:18 PM

Any time you feel unsafe on a bike you should take heed of your feelings. You can't concentrate properly if you're too busy thinking about your fears or other things. I won't get on mine unless my head is TOTALLY in the zone.

There are ways and means of lowering your bike or your seat to get your feet flatter on the ground. Other members of this board have been through the same thing. I'm sure help is on the way!

BTW, welcome to SBW!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:29 AM

welcome to sbw it is the best site on the internet, there are ways to lower the bike and make it more comfortable for you but like cookke said and i agree if you are not in the rite mind dont ride.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:57 AM

Try getting some boots with a thicker sole and taller heal, long as it doesn't mess with shifting/braking. As stated above a thinner seat and a lowering kit will also help.

Take off all the plastics and go to a parking lot. Just ride around until you start feeling more comfortable. If you don't start feeling more comfortable you might have to take the hit and get another bike. Don't hit the roads until you are more confident!

Sportbikes are more top heavy and "twitchy" than most other bikes. You might think about getting less of a race type bike.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
In all honesty, I'm surprised that you are having trouble touching the ground if you come in at 5'6". Unless you have an exceptionally short inseam, I suspect a lot of it is mental. I have a friend who is 5'1" and she can almost tiptoe on a 600RR, thus giving me more suspicion of mental fear rather than anything else.

I remember back in the day, my dad had a BMW F650GS Dakar and despite my 34" inseam, I felt that I could only touch one foot at a time (even though my brother who is about the same stature could touch both feet). I am nearly certain that it came down to the fact that I had dropped the bike and feared it, and he hadn't.

Despite all this, mental fears can be MUCH harder to overcome than physical difficulties. If you fear the bike to the point you describe, perhaps it's best to bite the bullet and find something you feel more comfortable on/around/near/etc.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:51 AM

You might try this for starters:

lowering links

corbin seat

The links are adjustable and can lower the bike either 1" or 3". I don't know if the seat will help much over the stock seat, but they usually do. You should contact Corbin and ask.

I'd recommend that you remove the fairings, mirrors and turn signals, put on frame sliders, and take it to a parking lot to get used to riding it again. The CBR weighs about the same as your old GS500, as do all of the new 600's At this point it's all "mind over matter," but like others have said, if it really scares you, it's a bad idea.

Is there a possibility of picking up a smaller used bke so you can get used to riding again? What about the MSF course? Have you taken it? If not, it would be a great confidence builder on someone else's bike.

Good luck!

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 AM

Ditto to what everyone else said. The problem is mostly mental, but that doesnt mean you cant throw money at it to make it go away

Lowering links, seat, boots etc. When moving the bike around, its best not to be in the saddle, just walk beside it, even if you can touch the ground just fine. Its just easier.

Slap some sliders on it and go get some practice. Remember even if you do drop it, its not the end of the world. Its just plastic.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your help. I have spent more time "making friends" with my new bike and I am starting to become a little more comfortable on it, however not nearly confident enough. I got lowering links which will be put on this weekend and a pair of riding boots with thick soles and a large heal...I am hoping this will help do the trick.

Yesterday I actualy took my bike to a nearby parkinglot and rode around in first gear a few times. It started to feel a little better but very twitchy. We tried taking it out today but it had been raining all day and when I got to the parking lot I just didnt like the idea of practicing on wet pavement, so I didnt ride today.

I think with a little time and taking it slow and just practicing more in the parking lot I'll be fine....its just geting over my fear of the bike and dropping it.

Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted after we lower it
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 06:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Make sure the throttle play is taken out. Helps with the twitchyness. You might also want to consider a Power Commander for the fuel injection. It will smooth out the throttle response too and can be done without boosting the horsepower.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:47 AM

Also check and see what the rear suspension is set at.

Living the Dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode