CBR1000RR '06 - great for the street? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

CBR1000RR '06 - great for the street?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums just today! I'm so excited that there are other women riders out and hopefully I can get some guidance re: my next purchase.

I have been really looking at getting a sportbike lately within the past month. I have had my license since 01 after taking the MSF course, got my first bike (Honda Rebel 250) in 03 and rode that for 2 yrs until I felt comfortable to move up.

Well then I started working at the dealership where I bought my Rebel and I told my coworkers that I wanted to move up to a bigger bike. I was looking at the 600 shadow but someone pointed out the Shadow Spirit 750 and said that would be the bike for me. I'm 5'7" , 180 lbs., and I thought 'oh god i can't handle a 750'.
Well I bought it early '05 and have been riding it since with 0 problems. I love the Hondas and that bike has been super. Now I'm super bored with it. It has great power but it's just not enough! It vibrates at higher highway speeds (70mph) and i'm not crazy about that. I want more.

I switched jobs and am now working at a Kawasaki dealership and realize I should probably get a kawi (lol) and will be killed if I showed up on another Honda. But I'm not sure what I want to get. I would consider myself a good rider, I don't want to race on the track, nor do any wheelies or other stunts. I know my limits and never push them. I want to know what is good on the street.

It's time to move up to a sportbike and I want one soon while i'm still young. (im 25) I found a great deal locally for an 06 CBR1000RR in the color i wanted so bad. I also got a quote for $400 /yr for full coverage on my insurance which is a sweet deal.

I've read numerous articles on the 1000 and most people say it is confidence-inspiring and a comfortable ride as well as manageable power. Anyone girls out there ride one? This bike would be the ultimate dream machine but I'm wondering if it will be too prone to wheelie-ing or something and be too much for me. I test rode a Buell XB9SX CityX and an XB12S , which I had no problems riding at all.. i just found that the 1200 Buell tended to want to go faster than I wanted to take it.. maybe that's because I'm new to sport riding?

Any input is appreciated.. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 02:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
I strongly caution you on the 1000RR for first sportbike. There is no comparison between it and the Buells when it comes to accelleration. Nor is it even anywhere near the ball part of the other bikes you've ridden. My suggestion would be to go for a 600RR or the ZX-6R. They both are quite a bit better than the Buells.

I went from an RC-51 to the 06CBR1000RR and I scare myself on occasion. When they say confidence inspiring they aren't referring to someone moving up to one.

You would be amazed at how capable the 600s are. Even though you have alot of experience it isn't with sportbikes so I would stick to one of the "smaller" bikes.

As for the insurance, not sure how you pulled that one off but here in TN I'm paying $1800 per year for full coverage and I'm 39 with a clean record. Wish I could get $400 per year.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the input.

I was kind of thinking that the 1000 might be too much for me and I wouldn't really enjoy myself - I'd probably scare myself and end up selling it in a few months.

Maybe when I've had more experience with the sportbikes then that can be a machine to move up to. For now I'll stick with a smaller bike.

Now to choose between the CBR600RR, F4i, ZX-6R, and GSXR-600.. The only ones I've sat on were the ZX-6R anad the gsxr600.. and I felt more confortable (height wise) on the gsxr.

What are your recommendations (coming from a non-sportbike rider) as a new ride? I want manageable horsepower not unnecessary wheelies... I don't care which bike has more horsepower really , I'm more concerned with agility , comfort, and reliability.

Thanks so much again for all your help.. I'm checking out the other recommendation forums as I type..

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and as far as insurance goes, I got a quote from State Farm. I currently have an auto and motorcycle policy with Progressive - I priced out the Ninja ZX-10 a week ago and they said 2,042 a year increase on top of what I was paying now! YIKES!

State Farm told me $400 for ZX-10 and like $290 /yr for a 600 class. They also run a credit inquiry so I guess I lucked out!

Sarah
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 04:29 PM

coming from a more upright riding stance I'd say get the F4i, it's probably the least aggressive in lean and that will help the transition into a sportbike. Also you wouldn't wanna be leaned over constantly especially as it sounds like you'd used this more as a commuter bike. Of course, that's just my opinion and you may actually like that aggressive stance, just sit on more bikes and get a feel for what's comfy.

why are guys giving advice on the women's forums? where are all the sexay ladies of SBW at?

work hard and play hard... hell, if I'm killin' myself with work, I may as well kill myself havin' fun!!!
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psusarah
Oh yeah, and as far as insurance goes, I got a quote from State Farm. I currently have an auto and motorcycle policy with Progressive - I priced out the Ninja ZX-10 a week ago and they said 2,042 a year increase on top of what I was paying now! YIKES!

State Farm told me $400 for ZX-10 and like $290 /yr for a 600 class. They also run a credit inquiry so I guess I lucked out!

Sarah
I may give State Farm a call. They insure my house. It sucks paying so much for insurance.

Back on the 1000, I really like mine but probably wouldn't get it if I had it to do over again. I would most likely get another RC-51.

You will probably enjoy a 600. Even though sportbikes can get you into more trouble at least they can get you out of that trouble alot easier.

John

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psusarah
Thanks so much for the input.

I was kind of thinking that the 1000 might be too much for me and I wouldn't really enjoy myself - I'd probably scare myself and end up selling it in a few months.

Maybe when I've had more experience with the sportbikes then that can be a machine to move up to. For now I'll stick with a smaller bike.

Now to choose between the CBR600RR, F4i, ZX-6R, and GSXR-600.. The only ones I've sat on were the ZX-6R anad the gsxr600.. and I felt more confortable (height wise) on the gsxr.

What are your recommendations (coming from a non-sportbike rider) as a new ride? I want manageable horsepower not unnecessary wheelies... I don't care which bike has more horsepower really , I'm more concerned with agility , comfort, and reliability.

Thanks so much again for all your help.. I'm checking out the other recommendation forums as I type..
All of the 600s are good. Of the ones you've mentioned the F4i is probably the best all around. You mentioned the 600RR and said you liked the 1000RR. The 600RR and 1000RRs look and feel the same pretty much. Although if it's the blue and yellow that you like I don't think the 600RR comes in that color.

If the GSXR felt more comfortable to you then it must mean you are a little thing. So they should all have plenty of power for you.

Any of them would be good bikes to trade later if you decide you want a 1000. If you lived closer to here I would let you take my CBR for a test ride since it sounds like you have the right mentality for sportbikes.

John

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Man I wish the dealers would let you test ride more.... I want to make an informed decision and it's so hard without actually riding the bikes..

I dont want to spend $$$ and then hate the bike a few months into it ya know? But I guess that's what these forums and friends are for, right? ))))

Anyone know where you can test ride Hondas in PA?
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 10:20 AM

Test Ride

So you actually work at a dealership and they won't even let their own employees take test rides?! Wow, that is really lame.

BTW, I'm in agreement with the other posters here, I think a 600 class bike would be a much more comfortable transition for you and a better choice for what you intend to use it for.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

hahah we have a bike night like 5 minutes away and they said me and another employee weren't allowed to take any bikes over.. it IS lame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode