Anyone else ever get so fed up... - Page 5 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
Apparently you don't know RC John very well.

Sorry....
LMAO!! You beat me to the punch on that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 AM

Oh I can guess! Hittin on anything that has a pulse!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #43 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Dad can throw my threads off topic ANY old time! He rocks my riding world!

Dad, the bike isn't running right (still). I did finally get a new baffle kit for the V&H, so it doesn't sound QUITE as obnoxious as it used to. It also seemed to help in the low end, but I did a top-end run the other day and it still bogs out and doesn't want to go above about 7k (I'm not positive of the #, but it is a few K below the 9500 redline). I might take you up on fixing it, though... if I am going to sell it I should do it right anyway. I still have the rest of the jet kit I put in, so maybe you could help shed some light if some of the jets I put in are causing a problem.

post #44 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by saturntangerine
Dad can throw my threads off topic ANY old time! He rocks my riding world!

Dad, the bike isn't running right (still). I did finally get a new baffle kit for the V&H, so it doesn't sound QUITE as obnoxious as it used to. It also seemed to help in the low end, but I did a top-end run the other day and it still bogs out and doesn't want to go above about 7k (I'm not positive of the #, but it is a few K below the 9500 redline). I might take you up on fixing it, though... if I am going to sell it I should do it right anyway. I still have the rest of the jet kit I put in, so maybe you could help shed some light if some of the jets I put in are causing a problem.
Almost certainly the jets are the problem. At that range it's almost all main jet(s). A little bit of the needle settings have affect but nothing worth mentioning at that point. Take the bike out and run it in the bogging range for about 1 minute (don't beat it - just force it to bog down) then shut the bike down and pull the spark plugs. Check to see it they are white or if the look dark and/or sooty. If they are white then the main jet is 1 size too small - if they are dark (fuel fouled) then the main jet is too big. Going one way or they other will 99% assuredly fix it. You just need to know which way to go. You can always just take your best guess.. I betcha they are too big.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #45 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
It doesn't smell like it's running rich, though. They may be too big, but since I'm new to the whole tuning business, I went with the recommendation in the "manual". Since I removed the airbox, replaced the exhaust, and renewed/rejetted the carbs, I used the jet that I think was described as "large" mods... or something like that. I'm just lazy and don't feel like ripping all that apart again.

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1
Almost certainly the jets are the problem. At that range it's almost all main jet(s). A little bit of the needle settings have affect but nothing worth mentioning at that point. Take the bike out and run it in the bogging range for about 1 minute (don't beat it - just force it to bog down) then shut the bike down and pull the spark plugs. Check to see it they are white or if the look dark and/or sooty. If they are white then the main jet is 1 size too small - if they are dark (fuel fouled) then the main jet is too big. Going one way or they other will 99% assuredly fix it. You just need to know which way to go. You can always just take your best guess.. I betcha they are too big.
post #46 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:16 AM

It could actually be a fuel shortage situation such as a slightly kinked hose robbing fuel at the higher rpm/higher demand range. One other possibility is the vent line in the fuel tank being slightly blocked/plugged somehow. Had this happen with FXtreme bike once. We were all up into the carbs and crap before we realize that the fuel tank was being robbed of air through the vent creating a vacuum in the tank. Probably not the case here but that's what we thought back then too.
post #47 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

One other thing that may be causing a problem is that I KNOW I have a vacuum leak somewhere... It's been there since before I re-did the carbs and the other stuff. If I've been riding for a while (even a solid 20 mins without stopping), when I come to a stop, the idle won't drop unless I kick into gear and "pull" it down by engaging the motor w/o actually letting the bike move (if that made any sense).
post #48 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 07:15 PM

Hey I can sympathize. I have a ninja 250 and no it isn't a powerhouse bike and it has 80's styling. But it was the right size/price/bike for me as a newb. I have 14,000 miles on it in 2 years and now plan to keep it as a commuter after I upgrade. I get lots of people that tell me they are slow and ugly. I just tell them I'll meet them in the twisties and then they can judge my bike. It will do 110mph and corners great.

I haven't been on this sight in a while but I just checked my picture comments only to find the first comment anyone made was...."that bike is slow" "followed later by "she should keep her helmet on, she is ugly!" Why is everyone on here so negitive?
post #49 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HokieDNA01
...I haven't been on this sight in a while but I just checked my picture comments only to find the first comment anyone made was...."that bike is slow" "followed later by "she should keep her helmet on, she is ugly!" Why is everyone on here so negitive?
Please don't group us all together. I had a look at the usernames for the comments and none of them look to be regulars on here anyway.

The "real" members of this board appreciate any bike and any biker, male or female. Actually, the chicks get a whole lot more attention than they probably want!

Keep up the great work, floggin' the bejesus out of that 250. My ZZR 250 goes just as hard.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #50 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by HokieDNA01
Hey I can sympathize. I have a ninja 250 and no it isn't a powerhouse bike and it has 80's styling. But it was the right size/price/bike for me as a newb. I have 14,000 miles on it in 2 years and now plan to keep it as a commuter after I upgrade. I get lots of people that tell me they are slow and ugly. I just tell them I'll meet them in the twisties and then they can judge my bike. It will do 110mph and corners great.

I haven't been on this sight in a while but I just checked my picture comments only to find the first comment anyone made was...."that bike is slow" "followed later by "she should keep her helmet on, she is ugly!" Why is everyone on here so negitive?
I never rode a 250 street bike until last year, when a friend of mine was afraid to ride her Ninja 250 at dusk.... I had a BLAST!!!! Heck, if I wasn't so broke and trying to get rid of my own bike, I'd pick hers up in a heartbeat (since she's considering selling, too). It gets a lot better mileage than mine, and for commuting/cruising around town, it's so light and flickable! Admittedly, you gotta row through the gears, but it's worth it for the fun factor.

So, basically, don't let a few fruitcakes ruin your fun. I was just in a really bad mood, and when some people started on me, I let it snowball instead of shrugging them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode