Question for Woman Sportbike Riders? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Question for Woman Sportbike Riders?

Hi, I just wanted to ask you ladies something. My wife is dieing to start riding. We have been married for two years, and for the last two years she has been riding behind me and loving it. But for the last month she has been telling me she is wanting to have her own bike.

So as with most men, I start thinking to myself, "What's the smallest, and safest bike I can possibly buy her"? And pretty much everything I think is what she needs to start on is something she dont want.

I thought maybe a nice 250 KZ, Honda Rebel, 350 or anything in that range would be a perfect first bike. She has drove my dirtbike quiet abit and a 4 wheeler. But she dont have any solo street experience.

She is wanting a 749 Ducati :P, And that would scare the crap out of me. I own a Ducati, and know that those Fairings are very expensive to fix if they fall over. Not to mention, I still think the bike is to fast for her. But im not her Dad, and she makes enough money being a Nurse to buy her bike without my help.

Anyways she is 5'8" tall and weighs 124lbs. She has dirtbike experience, and is apparently addicted to speed like me. Any advice?

Viva la Louisville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 04:26 PM

As a nurse, she should be acutely aware of just how dangerous bikes are and, therefore, the need to take small steps in learning how to handle them.

Support her decision to start riding, but encourage her to take a course and start smaller, older and cheaper.

This idea of "get a big one and just be careful" is f*cking ludicrous!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
As a nurse, she should be acutely aware of just how dangerous bikes are and, therefore, the need to take small steps in learning how to handle them.

Support her decision to start riding, but encourage her to take a course and start smaller, older and cheaper.

This idea of "get a big one and just be careful" is f*cking ludicrous!

She is going to be taking classes. She is already signed up to start tomorrow. Maybe it will change her mind abit, the biggest bike have on there training course is a 250

I have to agree, I think a big one and being careful isnt the right choice. She is a strong girl, but backing up a 749 Ducati should prove tough without some training, and thats and expensive lesson to learn if it drops....

Viva la Louisville

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Never
...if it drops...
When, not if. Pretty much everyone drops them at least once, even if stationary.

A method you can employ to keep her on a smaller bike is to ride "with" her, not 10 miles down the road "because she can't keep up."

Perhaps you should get her online here to look around and chat with some of the girls (and guys for that matter)?? There's bucket-loads of first-hand experience to access here.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 05:36 PM
RC51Matt

Small bike

Started my better half off, on a Monster 620ie Greatest starter bike in the world, low HP, Low to the ground, so ezzz to learn on and you can find them very cheap. Also when she is at work you can get your rocks off by blasting around the twisties also no plastic to fix....lol
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Some days are like this.

I feel your wife's pain, but mine was amplified by the fact that I am only 5'1". Finding a sportbike to fit my runty frame was just about impossible. The Ninja 250? Yeah, waaaaay too tall.

I did NOT want a cruiser, sorry but the styling just wasn't my thing. At. All.

I wound up with a Buell Blast (pretty close to a cruiser.. grrrr), decided I hated it after putting less than 100 miles on it. My husband got a Honda XX for a wedding present and I inhereted his F4.

If your wife isn't into the cruiser scene, don't try to force her onto one, you're only going to inheret a financial albatross (the Buell is in the garage, 250 miles on it and I am still making payments). I would definitely have her start older and used, that way it's not so heartbreaking when she drops it.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicerke
...My husband got a Honda XX for a wedding present...
Hmmm... Bike Registry instead of Gift...

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Hmmm... Bike Registry instead of Gift...

It was purely selfish on my part. He gets the XX, I get the F4, everybody's happy!

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 07:28 PM

Sweet! We're actually having a Honeymoon Registry, where guests just give us cash to help pay for our Honeymoon.

Anyway, back on topic...

Never - my girl is about the same height as yours and weighs about 115 lbs. She rides a '99 ZZR 250, which was my learner.

Now, I'm 5'10" / 185 lbs, and I could get that thing up to 100mph. Not bad for 40hp! It only weighs 320 lbs, so you can flick it around easily too.

We even went two-up on it many times and still easily kept up with highway traffic!

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to veektor
Re: Question for Woman Sportbike Riders?

Quote:
Originally posted by Never
...and is apparently addicted to speed like me. Any advice?
Those words right there are a good reason to have a small bike for a while. A lighter bike would help her build up the confidence (not just at times when she has to pick it up).

Signature unreadable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode