anyone have an sv650 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

anyone have an sv650

My sister is buying one and I can't seem to talk her into something smaller. She has no experience on the street, but has ridden a dirt bike a few times. She is taking the MSF course next week, but will that be enough? Her friend told her she could handle it fine(she rides a CBR600r). Is the bike going to be too much for her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 10:07 AM

I think the sv 650 would be fine as long as her feet reach the ground okay and she respects the power of the machine. The 650 is torqey but I don't think it would get away from her like a 750 or 1000 inline would. The sv 650 is also narrow and light. Hope this helps some!

Living the Dream
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:10 AM

sv650 - great bike

My bf has an sv650 (he prefers over his FZR1000) and he's let me ride it a few times and I must say that it's a great choice for a motorcycle. Lots of balls and is also comfortable; handles extremely well. The sv is also a lot lower than most jap inlines. A beginner should be able to learn on this without getting into too much trouble. It's a better choice than a ZX10 as a first bike. But then again, the asphalt feels the same at a 100mph no matter what you're on, right?

Nuke. Pave. Repeat.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:13 AM

ride height is significantly lower compared to 600s. I can sit on top of the tank and still be flat foot on the ground.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to veektor
My wife has been riding on a small cruiser (Savage 650) for a year, and recently was trying to get accustomed to my Bandit 600. She found the Bandit very tall and heavy compared to Savage. She felt more confident on the lower sitting cruiser, and therefore she lacked enthusiasm to make the switch to a sportbike. Then I picked up a 2001 SV650S. She liked the low seat on it, and after riding it a couple of times, she fell in love! That bike handles so nicely!

That said, I think SV650 is a very powerful motorcycle. More powerful than the Bandit, and I had felt a few times that Bandit had more power than I could handle in the beginning. SV650 makes my butt slide backwards on the seat when I accelerate. Then again, I probably would not whack it like that if I were just starting out. Your sister, lacking the testasterone that kills so many young men on fast bikes, may just be fine on SV650.

Man, that bike is so frisky! I still can't get over it... Which reminds me, we are going to be putting up that Savage for sale pretty soon. Makes a great starter bike!

Signature unreadable...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Guys, I posted this thread back in April. Its a little late now. She bought it and rides it all the time now. She complains that she can't get it over a 100mph. All of her friends have 954s and 1000 and she can't keep up. I don't give it to long and she will probably be telling me she is buying a 1000. Then I will really worry.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 01:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to veektor
Quote:
Originally posted by psudy
Guys, I posted this thread back in April. Its a little late now. She bought it and rides it all the time now. She complains that she can't get it over a 100mph. All of her friends have 954s and 1000 and she can't keep up. I don't give it to long and she will probably be telling me she is buying a 1000. Then I will really worry.
I guess I didn't bother to see whan this started, it just happened to pop up in New Posts.

How can she have a problem getting it over 100mph When I just got my SV, I quickly tested its acceleration on the interstate It made it up to 110mph, then I chickened out, since I don't have a radar detector, and I had 600 more miles to go that day. Seems like 110 was pretty effortless, probably another +5 or +10 was possible.

I'm sorry to hear that she is feeling pressured to keep up with her friends. I don't have any regular riding buds, which is probably great, because I only challenge myself, and therefore manage to keep my head level most of the time. Probably one of the main reasons I haven't seriously crashed yet, not counting the slow speed tip-overs on ice and in the driveway. I hope your sister realizes that there is plenty she can still learn from SV and that the rider matters more than the bike size and brand.

Signature unreadable...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Thats just what she told me. Probably inexperience. I hope she realizes the same thing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
She's forgetting the last couple of gears.

The bike will do around 130mph give or take a couple mph.

When she gets out of Kansas and down to the mountains she won't have too much trouble keeping up with the friends.

The SV shines in the tight curvy mountains roads. I could always run faster through Deals Gap(318 turns in 11 miles) faster on my ex's 2000 SV than I could on my race prepped RC-51.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

She lives in Park City Utah, so there are plenty of Mountains. Her friends all ride liter bikes, so keeping up with them isn't really in the cards on the straights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode