Riding and a baby - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to kawagirl
Riding and a baby

I have a ZX6R and a 3 month old daughter. With riding season quickly approaching, I am getting the itch to go riding. The problem is that my riding buddy is my husband and one of us has to watch the baby (especially when we travel to out of town events, which we do a lot of). I am not 100% keen on not getting to ride for the next 4 years and a side car is unfortunately out of the picture.

Do any of you guys have any suggestion? What is the youngest age any of you have put a child on a motorcycle with you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 10:59 AM

Great question and I can't wait to hear some answers.

My partner and I will be having kids in the next few years and I've often wondered the same thing.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 03:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to marine2651
My son and I are riding buddies. When I got my bike he was 8 and we did short rides together, as he had a tough time with the longer rides. My 4 year old liked to sit on the tank and hold the windscreen while I pulled it into the garage.

As for taking them out onto busy streets or areas with posted limits exceeding 35 MPH, I wouldn't even dream of it until they were old enough to fit into proper riding gear (i.e leathers, boots, gloves and a helmet). I know that if anything happened during our ride and either of my boys were injured...I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I am confident in my skills and he is an excellent passenger, but there are entirely too many unknowns out there for my liking. I definitely don't mind erring on the side of caution on this one...

Try everything twice, you may have been to nervous or scared to have enjoyed it the first time.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:56 PM

My buddy and i take his 2 kids around the block very very slow with them sitting infront of us..

We just kinda creep around the block.. The kids like it but they are in 1st grade..

I wouldnt advise doing anything without the proper gear like you stated.. I use to ride on my dads goldwing when i was in like 4th and 5th grade with him..

04' Gsxr 1k

Show or go?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 03:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to HTGRL Send a message via Yahoo to HTGRL
My 5yr old is interested in riding now and my boyfriend and I both ride. I just recently got a bike of my own last season, before that I've only been a passenger. It's very tough juggling kids and riding, I feel guily wanting to leave the kids with a sitter on a sunny day to go riding. You and your husband need to come to an agreement and do it fast before the next season starts. There is riding time and then there is family time! Unfortunatly women always usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to the kids, but if you have an understanding husband, he won't want to take off everytime a sitter is not available, or like you said take turns!!!

Good Luck- Kids are great, I wouldn't give up my son or 18m old daughter for anything
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
From what I hear, this seems to work pretty good....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (34.0 KB, 334 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee
From what I hear, this seems to work pretty good....

I have an 18 week old, and riding is pretty much out of the picture for me for the forseeable picture, mainly because she is exculsively breastfed and refuses bottles, so I really can't justify the extra risk of injury/death that motorcycle riding entails.

As far as actually taking my daughter out on a bike? I really can't say when I will be comfortable with her on the back, probably not for a long time.

The best person to ask this would be DreamRyder, she has a few youngins and they ride with her.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 09:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to akcbr
lol, i just love the direction this thread is heading
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticket.jpg (67.4 KB, 319 views)

it's not my fault....
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 09:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to GixxerChris
I started giving my son rides when he was around 9, he's 11 now. I have taken him on one long ride, althhough concerned for his safety the whole ride and was a bit nervous, I just had to keep on my toes and pay extra attention to everything. I use this belt when I take my son for a ride. The handles make it a lot easier for him to hold on. My girlfriend has two boys 5 and 6 and I have given them short rides around the neighborhood, but I don't think they're ready for longer rides yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6578.jpg (16.4 KB, 313 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Live Life, Don't Just Merely Exist In It

for the military affiliated peeps:
www.homelandsportbikes.com
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to veektor
My wife and I have 4 kids, youngest is 2.5 yrs old. All but the oldest want to ride, and I take them around the neighborhood (not the 2 year old, of course).

My wife started riding late in the summer of last year, and she is still struggling with the concept of taking a ride for fun, rather than going on a mission (grocery store, for example). It is really difficult for us to find the time to ride together, but I sometimes offer to watch the kids so she can go for a quick ride. Sure, I'm a good husband (patting myself on the back), but also realize how much better she feels when she comes back. Besides, I get my riding experience by riding to work (70 mile roundtrip), and I want her to earn her own riding miles so we can eventually ride together better.

We worry about the risk of both of us getting hurt (or worse), what effect that would have on our children. My reasoning is that we always face risks on the road, even in the family minivan, and any crash would have terrible conscequences. We can't burrow into the ground, and I really hope we set a good example for our kids about enjoying life to its fullest extent, having passion for things, and making effort to fulfil our dreams.

Signature unreadable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode