Hi!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi!!

Hey All - My name's Rhonda from MA and I'm new to the forum here.

I have always wanted to ride a sport bike, since high school when my sister's boyfriend (now husband) had a Ninja he used to give us all rides on! His Ninja is now long gone (traded for 2 kids ), but my husband came home with a Suzuki gsx r750 the other night and now I really want to get a bike and learn! I am going to take the basic riding course to learn how to ride with my husband in the spring. He already knows how to ride, but is going to take the course 1) to take it with me 2) for the insurance discount and 3) to bypass the road test. Problem is I've never even driven a car with a clutch so I'm not sure that at 30 it will be too late to teach this old dog new tricks!

I am thinking of purchasing a Ninja 250 either right before or after the course - would this be a good bike to start on with no experience? My husband is trying to put me on something more like a dirt bike, but I want something that will be fun and sporty, yet good to learn on.

I got my private pilot license a year and a half ago and I can't imagine that it would be as hard to learn a clutch as it was learning to fly a plane though my husband makes it sound like I am going to kill myself - I think that is probably just a male protective and ego thing, but I just wanted to check in with other women sport bikers and see what you guys think.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:21 AM

HI Newbie and welcome...

You should definately take the course. When I took the course, there were several people in it who had never ridden anything and they did just fine. You, too, will be fine.

A Ninja 250 may be a good place to start. They are small and lightweight...and inexpensive. My advice to you is to take the course first...get a little experience...then go sit on every bike you can find...and see what you are comfortable with.

My first bike was a Suzuki SV650S. I had it for about 6 weeks before I was ready to move up.

Don't let anyone scare you or discourage you either!! Go for it~

Lunachick
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know I want something tougher and bigger later on - my husband makes it sound like it would be 20 years before I would be able to ride something like his 750. I love him, but I think he needs to take his ego and shove it where the sun don't shine

I'm fairly certain it will be the Ninja 250 for a first bike and then I can always get something else once I've learned all I can on that. I want to start on something fairly inexpensive to make sure I'll really be committed to it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 12:20 PM

The 250 is such a fun bike. I got mine when I turned 34 and 10 years and 3 Ninja's later I got my first bigger bike. I think I rode the Ninja a little too long! Now Im riding a gsx 600 Katana. I love it and wish I had got brave sooner. If you want to ride do it, you wont regret it. If I can do it anyone can!

"Believe and you will find your way"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
You are headed in the right direction. The safety course is the way to go. Don't worry about the hubby. He's just looking out for you in a man's way.

The 250 should be a good start. Of course the 750 is not.

Main thing is take things at your own pace and have fun. Not being able to drive a stick shift should not be a problem. It is different on a bike anyway.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to HTGRL Send a message via Yahoo to HTGRL
Hi there, my name is Heidi, I just took the class last summer and I had no riding experience except as a passenger. I didn't know anything about driving a stick shift either. I am now riding fairly well although the riding season ended shortly after I finished the course. Stick with it and good luck, don't give up! I almost did, and with much encouragement from my boyfriend passed the road and wriitten with flying colors. I thought I would buy a 250 to start but didn't. My boyfriend said it wasn't worth it because soon I would be bored and it would be a waste of my money. Got a Ninja ex500 and couldn't be happier! Easy to ride and not too big.

Good Luck
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lunachick
...then go sit on every bike you can find...and see what you are comfortable with.
Exactly what my fiance and I did. We were both new riders and love the look of sportsbikes, but not the riding position, so we ended up with a ZZR-250. Great little bike, with the looks of a sports bike, but a bit more of an upright position.

Performance-wise, I weigh 85kg (???lbs) and it gets along more than quick enough. We even used to go two-up on it (140kg total). I've moved on to a 600, but my girl just loves the 250. It's more than enough for her.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Wink GO for it!

Believe me, the course will be much easier than pilot course.

My wife took the course and passed with flying colors. I bought her a used Kaw. Ninja 250R and she rode it for a short while.

Unfortunately, the Ninja 250 she had carried some very bad Karma. She dropped it trying to walk it around. Also, I met her for dinner on it one day trying it out and a handicapped lady backed over it while we were having dinner. Other things happened also, so we got rid of it in less than 3 months. She doesn't drive motorcycles anymore (just horses).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
If (your body) size isn't an issue, I'd go for a 500. It gives you a slightly better chance of not "outgrowing" the bike in quite such a short time. My first (personal) bike was a 1991 GS500E, and it was a GREAT bike. I miss it.

As for the clutch question, my brother learned how to use the bike clutch before he learned how to drive a standard car. He had a little harder time than I did (I had been driving a standard for about a year before I re-learned how to ride).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode