Any Females on Z1000? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Any Females on Z1000?

My Girlfriend is dead set on having a Z1000 as her first bike.

This isnt going to happen tomorrow, she is just now getting signed up for classes (which will have Buell Blasts)

I kinda think she should get a EX500, SV650, or a Buell blast for at least a year --dump that a couple times and then maybe consider a Z1000....

On the flip side of the coin, if she gets a Z1000 I could borrow it when my Ninja 1000R is broken down, which may be quite frequently. While I had my ZRX1200 I always secretly lusted after a Z1000....

Pretty much any bike we decide on will have to be lowered. Every bike ive owned made me tippy toe (damn my short stature!)and she is like 2-3 inches shorter then. im like 5'8 175lbs she is 5'5 120lbs. I have the feeling she is going to grow out of the blast quickly--but i think an EX500 might last some amount of time. What about that suzuki GS-500 with the new fairings? How do they stack up with the EX500?

Whats kinda funny is she thought the ZZR600 was to big (probably because of its fairing makes it appear larger) but the Z1000 isn't.

Motorcycles owned:
1981 Yamaha XS650
1987 Honda VFR 700 F2
2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
(current ) 1987 Kawasaki Ninja ZX1000A2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 11:15 AM

z1000 women

The z1000 is a great bike, but maybe not the best choice for a new rider. The seat height is 32.5 inch so you have a bit to lower also
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to slowmopar Send a message via Yahoo to slowmopar
The GS500 is a great bike. In a comparison with the EX it would pretty much comes down to which she is more comfortable on. I sell Kawi's and right now ride a GS500 so I'm somewhat torn.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
I know it's tempting to "compensate" because you're a girl on a bike, but nothing is more humiliating than dropping that "big, cool" bike infront of people. My drop only happened infront of family, and I was embarrassed.

I started on a 1991 Zuk GS500E (aftermarket fairing added by previous owner) and it was GREAT FUN! Yes, the EX500 probably would have lasted me a little longer because it has more power. But I'm also 5'10" and 150lbs. Size clearly isn't an issue for either of you in terms of NEED. Get what she's comfortable with.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:45 PM

I started on a Ninja 250, racked 9500 miles on it in 9 months then bumped up to a ZX6R. Glad I went the slow but sure route. I am only 5'3 and 112 lbs so it was more of a worry that the bike was too big. Now I can go anywhere from a Derbi 50 to a TL1000S.

It was a comfort level thing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 04:37 AM

I hate to point people at another forum but riderforums has a few girls on Z1ks.
Its abit too much as a starter, but it can be handled. If she has prior riding expirience she will be ok.

If she is shorter than 5'7", lower it.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 09:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BIMOTA RIDER
AHEM........Honestly a full liter bike as a starter is pure suicide. The suzuki gs500 is perfect. if she needs sporty find an old fzr 600 take the classes and practice, practice and repeat as neccessary. We all have our "starter bike stories" and they all include a drop or wreck. My rule is if you can't pick it up you can't ride it. GOOD LUCK! Stay safe and open up that field of vision.

I have already forgotten......

more than..........????........

Damn, I forgot !!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 01:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to princessem Send a message via Yahoo to princessem
I am 5'4" and 130lbs and for me the hardest thing to get used to was not driving it but handling it while not running (And mine's not that big!)

Not sure how strong she is but I agree with BIMOTA RIDER...if you can't pick it up off the ground by yourself, you shouldn't ride it.

"Face your fears, live your dreams"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to princessem Send a message via Yahoo to princessem
Am I wrong? Help?

Ok, someone help me? I was just told that the ZX6-R is the same weight as the Z1000. Is that true? I wouldn't think so but i don't know much about it so i may be wrong. Help

"Face your fears, live your dreams"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 10:05 AM

z750 - better option?

I bought the z750 over the z1000 just because it's less of an animal than the latter. Unfortunately, the 750 isn't available in the US. As a first bike, I don't recommend the thou it at all. If she gives 'er hell, the front wheel will come off the ground for sure and well... who knows. But if she wants it anyway, playing with the suspension will lower it enough to get a better footing.

Nuke. Pave. Repeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode