to race or not to race! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

to race or not to race!

Hey!
I'm new to the "threads" so forgive me if I ramble too much! I've been riding since September after the great MSF course and absolutely love it! My husband has been riding for 20 years or so-started on Harleys but now races a Honda F3 and his street bike is a Honda 929. As for me, my first bike was a Suzuki Katana 600. It was so comfortable and "forgiving"! I have outgrown it tho, and now ride a Honda CBR F4i. I absolutely luuuuv it! We're going to Jason Pridmore's class in Denver in June for a couple of days and I hope to come out ready to do a novice race here at home. I know of no other racers here who are female and just wondered if anyone has any feedback for me?
I enjoy this forum for women-we need more of us!!!! Thanks fer listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
I took my GS500 (1991) to the track in October here in PA, and I had a blast. Sure, I had already out-grown my bike by then, but it was still soooooo cool! I mean, no idiot cagers, no rice boys to rev-up on me. It was free. I was out there for ME. I know that next bike I get I'll have to get an extra pair of wheels so I can keep my good rubbers for the road.

Just remember that you belong out there just as much as the boys do.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:14 PM
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Robert
Quote:
Originally posted by saturntangerine
Just remember that you belong out there just as much as the boys do.
I agree 100%!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder
(Who needs sleep?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:50 PM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Arrow

If you want to race, by all means do so! BUT: Learn as much as you can about riding before you go out there, it's a blood-thirsty environment. Get out on the track at least a half-dozen times, and if you're not running mid to fast in at least the intermediate group, you may want to wait. The last thing you want to do is go into a race "blind" and become a hazard not only to yourself but everyone around you. Slow, erratic riders (and I'm not saying that you are, just covering all the bases), are very dangerous on a track.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback! I definately agree with the learning process. At our last track meeting, my husband brought up the suggestion of having a beginner track day slot of 15-minutes or so. I emailed our track guy and suggested they have 3 slots of fast, medium and slow depending on the street ability. Hopefully they'll go for it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 06:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ninjadude
Keep in mind that racing is very pricey. Get a bike that you do'y mind beating up, and track days are a must.

"NOT my gum drop buttons"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 05:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1fastchick
You need no less than a dozen trackdays under your belt and a race school before you jump head first into a full blown race. Most tracks should have open trackdays where they do run 2-3 sessions depending on # of people there and skill levels.

You need to have a bike that you don't mind destroying and if you have only one bike and it is your street/track just be ready to deal with it when it comes home in pieces (speaking from experience)

The best thing after getting a bunch of trackdays under your belt is to find out if a track near you have Local Sprint races that are more for fun but it helps you ease into the racing part of the sport.

And be sure to have fun just don't rush things. Make sure you are on a bike you know very well, know your lines, know what the flags mean, understand all the race rules from registration to how the grid works, its a big process and it cost $$$$$

A place or the women riders.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to FMAN_DTF Send a message via Yahoo to FMAN_DTF
hey 1fastchick,

was that your R6 that was in the treeline at Jennings GP?

i think i remember seeing a pic of your bike on here, and when i was looking at jennings webpage i saw the playboy bunny on the bike that they were pulling out of the brush. i was like "doh, i think i recognize that one"

i plan on goin up thar sometime, ive only had my bike since the end of may, but i would definitely like to take it to the track and put around....eventually i plan on maybe even making the bike i have now a track only bike (i hate riding in traffic, and i have a '03 ZX-6RR which is pretty much made for the track)

i think TONYFZR400, or whatever his name is a track only rider (guy that rides the 400), after driving in traffic in gainesville i think im slowly becoming one, because i pretty much bought it for pleasure and not transportation...of course it helps in gettin to campus here, cause there is no damn parking at UF

"Slapping time...she comes." -Dana Carvey
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1fastchick
Yup that was my bike. I wasn't riding it though.
Jennings is such a good track I can't wait till my bike is back together and I get to get back up there!

A place or the women riders.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 03:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to FMAN_DTF Send a message via Yahoo to FMAN_DTF
so who was? your brother?

yea, i saw your website

i can't wait to go there...only thing is, i watched the video that someone took doin laps around the track and it is flatter than piss on a board...i wish there were some changes in elevation...kinda like Laguna seca's famous 3 story drop chicane, i forget the name of the turn, but it's pretty damn famous

oh to ride Laguna Seca...that would be sumfin

"Slapping time...she comes." -Dana Carvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode