sport touring question.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

sport touring question....

I am just looking at bikes right now, but I find myself more attracted to the sport touring kinds of bikes. I am 5'6", 130 lbs. The only problem I see with them is they weigh a considerable amount more than the sport bikes. Kawasaki's are my favorites and I really like the ZZR600, but it weighs 430 lbs., where the Ninja ZX-6r weighs 50 lbs. less. Are there any ladies out there who ride, or have ridden, sport tourers? What size are you (if you don't mind me asking)? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 04:42 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Talking

If it's a well balanced bike, the weight shouldn't be super-noticeable once you're moving. Unfortunately, I can't give impressions on any of the bikes you've listed, but I can tell you that as long as you're confident in your riding at low speeds you'll be fine on any bike you purchase.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 02:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
My dad has the Honda Interceptor VFR800. It's noticably heavier than my GS500 was, but it is kinda expected to. I'm 5'9" and about 145lbs. I am VERY comfortable on it. I have never looked at either of the above mentioned Kawi's, but like Elo said, the true test is whether or not you feel comfortable at slow speeds. My dad's dual-sport BMW before he traded in on the Honda was VERY uncomfortable for me to ride b/c of how high it was. It really all boils down to what YOU feel safe with.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 05:34 AM

For a new rider. Try the Kawasaki 500R. Otherwise known as the EX 500. It is low enough that you should be able to touch the ground and its an easy bike to ride for learning purposes! Lots of aftermarket stuff for the bike too!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:29 AM

ZX6E

Heya,

I'm about 5'5" and 137 lbs and I own a Kawi ZX6E (now to be called ZZR600). It's a pretty heavy bike at first, but you get used to things and it becomes second nature to know where to put your foot down. It's pretty top-heavy and yet kinda feels well balanced, though it may be the "second nature" feel that I'm talking about. It's a very forgiving bike, especially in the corners and it's very comfortable as well. It also has great stopping power, which I use a lot due to cagers and stoplights.

When I'm riding, I feel a lot more stable, even in crosswinds and drafts from an 18 wheeler. It's a great choice for a starter bike, and if you want to modify it (extra hp or comfort or sound) there are more aftermarket parts for it than I thought. People on this site, like Jammin Johnny, have more info about aftermarket parts than I do.

It becomes more "flickable" in corners when you're at about half a tank. Again, it all becomes second nature and it may be a bit intimidating at first, but I believe you'll enjoy it. You'll have the comfort AND the speed with good cornering and stopping ability all in one... a very fun ride.

The dash is well done with everything being visible. The clock is a bonus to which I've used many times... maybe I'm anal about time. Anyways, whatever you choose, ride safe and enjoy.!

-- Omega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode