ninja or blast??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Question ninja or blast???

Hey gals,
My sister is looking to by a new motorcycle and is torn between a new Ninja 250 or a new Buell Blast. I know that this being sportbikeworld.com, you may be partial to the Ninja, but with her only being 4' 11" tall, I wanted opinions as to which may be better for her. Her biggest concern is ovbiously a low seat, as well as being able to handle the bike. She's ridden a bike many years now as she currently has a '76 Honda CB200. She pretty much does only in-town riding, but may want to do some backroads from time to time. Any opinions or personal experiences are appreciated.

TIA,
-Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 04:57 PM

My old boss his wife a buell blast a year ago. I took it out for shits and giggles one day, it has frighteningly little ground clearance. On the very first big turn I took I hit left peg hard, and Iím no racer.
Take her to new castle Harley Davidson , I *think* they will let her take one out for a ride if she has a license, not positive though.
My brother might be selling his wifeís VTR250 if that interests you at all.
We live in Butler

R6=fun
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 07:06 PM

Thumbs down no blast!

Here is my 2 cents worth...Blast sucks! They leak oil from the frame, they shift like a truck! They handle for crap! I was getting ready to ride one and started it in the driveway...i walked away and got my helmet and when i came back, the piece was moving along the pavement by itself! The only thing it would be good for is a super vibrator! bwahahaha!! Get the ninja 250..very nice starter bike..my first was the VTR 250...i loved that bike! So easy to learn on...my recommendation...like i said, my 2 cents....peace!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 05:18 PM

Get the Ninja, you won't be sorry!!

Greyhounds Rule!! Cats drool!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 05:28 PM

I think it all depends on what she is looking for in a bike. If she is looking for a sports bike and would like to gradually work up to a bigger sports bike than the ninja would be a good start. If she is looking for a bike with more upright sitting posture and not something she is going to be carving thru the canyons on then try the blast. If you would like some better help on the blast instead of the normal i hate buell post's try www.badweatherbikers.com and they have a whole section devoted to the blast. None the less i hope she gets what she likes and has a good time riding. cause regardless of what she gets that is what it is all about having fun!!!

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity

Last edited by phatkidwit1eye; 07-23-2002 at 05:37 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:12 PM

Definately get the Ninja. I started on one and it was great. I loved that little bike. I actually cried when my husband traded it in on his new bike. Maybe I was so sad because I got his Katana 600 for awhile

Jennifer
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 04:29 AM

Shakes like an old washer...

Now understand I bought my Cyclone 3 days after my first ride on it. But the Blast after riding it I gave it back to the BUELL folks and told them a definite no thanks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:58 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I'm not sure what the seat height is on the ninja, but if that is a big concern the Blast has an optional low profile seat that takes it down to about 25" or 25.5". My 5'1" fiancee could easily stand flat-footed on hers. It does however vibrate like a mad bastard, but not to the point of nerve damage (I think). It was a good bike for her to get used to the weight of a bike and get the basics. My major complaint would be that its air cooled....not good for a beginner who will (or should) be going slow to learn control. It was prone to overheating from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I don't think its a bad bike, I see them all over town and even some in traffic or splitting traffic. It all depends on what you are looking for. Those are just my opinions/experiences with the Blast. The ninja I know nothing about. If you do buy a Blast, I'd go for used though....there are a ton of them out there with very low mileage in great condition, you can save a bundle. By the way, wanna buy mine?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:57 AM

The Ninja is a far superior bike. My wife was torn between these two bikes last year and ended up with the Ninja. It does everything except brake better (Not that the Ninja brakes are bad, just that the Blast brakes are very good). It also cost so much less she was able to get all her protective gear for less than the price difference. She is also 4'11" and found the Blast easier to handle at a stop but the Ninja worked out just fine. Pick up some spare brake and clucth levers though as they tend to break in tipovers.

We sold the Ninja after a few months and bought a low mileage Bandit 400 that we both enjoy riding. That's another bike you may wish to consider. It's awfully fun, has a low seat, has plenty of power and we plan to keep it, even when she upgrades to a 600 sport bike. They are kind of hard to find but worth looking for.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:21 AM

Which bike?

I'm 53 yrs old physically and about 16 mentally so ya know that I ride my 250 Ninja like a real tired 16 yr old... hehehe.

I've never regretted buying the Ninja. It has plenty of power for even the freeway and handles like an extension of my own fingers. It has a little vibration felt in the footpegs but nothing irritating or annoying and gives 70mpg. The seating position isn't as laid down and cramped like full size sport bikes making it a relatively comfy ride and it was $3600 out the door. It is a '99 with 12,000 miles on it so far with maybe 600 miles done on the racetrack with no problems from the bulletproof engine <no probs with anything else either other than routine maintainance>.

In my opinion the little Ninja out performs the Blast everywhere and costs less to boot. Frankly, I think the Buell Blast would make a very good... boat anchor.

When I was young and in my prime,
I used to ride all the time.
Now that I'm getting old and grey,
I only ride once a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode