F2? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Honda919Rider
Red face F2?

Hey ladies! A good friend of mine just picked up a '97 YZF600R. Now his girlfriend has the sportbike bug!!! She's about 5'7", 125lbs. She likes the EX500R, but I bet she could get away w/ aCBR600F2 (more oomph!). Any suggestions for a good starting bike?

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls... Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked in a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can." HST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 11:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Well, depending on how confident she is with the standard tranny, she may want to go with the lighter EX500 or even like my GS500 until she becomes more accustomed to clutching. She's pretty light, but if she thinks she's in control then the F2 would be just as good. Both suggestions are appropriate, now all that depends is her riding experience and confidence.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Some days are like this.

Lightbulb

I'm going to have to say first: MSF course.

That said: I started with a Buell Blast (quit laughing ) 157 miles later (40 of those put on by fiance) and less than a month, I was on an F4. I'm 5'2" (ish) and 110 pounds.

If she's serious about wanting to ride, I say go for the F2, or you'll just spend more moolah going up to a bigger and/or faster bike!

Just my two cents!

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 02:44 PM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Between the two, I'd choose the EX500. Oomph shouldn't be an issue for a new rider, ease of learning should. The EX is more beginner friendly than an F2, though the Honda is another bike I consider a decent starter bike.

(one plus for the Kaw: fewer fairings to rash when it gets dropped)

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 03:16 PM

Any of the bikes stated would be great. How tall is she? The F2 has a lower seat height than the F3/F4 because of the suspension, and is lower than the ex500.
If she has self control (which must not be an issue, because she is considering the 500 along with the F2) she should be fine with the F2's power, just be nice with the power. But you don't have to be paranoid.
(FYI- I don't figure you have to worry much about looping a F2, I was purposly trying to power wheelie my F3 and could never get it off the ground more than an inch without popping the clutch. No matter how fast you whack it to WFO! So on the side of wheelies=bad, yet on the side of accidental looping=great.)
There's alot to grow into and learn no matter which bike you choose, its a personal choice. I am in agreement with the MSF course, the more you can learn, practice etc... the better. Thats what soo cool about this sport, you can never know it all, or be the best... There is always something more you can learn, work on, polish and get better at. Challenges in life are a good thing! (Other wise we'd be out riding cruisers if we wanted to poke along, relaxing, working at 30%, following the exact speed limit and traffic flow! )
The grip on the right is the Fun control (or something like that, I read it in Twist of the Wrist)

SHERI

I'M NOT A BITCH, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ME!

EOS
http://www.exhibitionofspeed.net
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 07:26 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Arrow

It's all about choosing the best tool for the job and between the two most would agree that the EX500 is the better tool for this job. It's not just about throttle control because who wants to keep a bike in 4k rpm's all the time? It's a better rule of thumb to buy a bike you can learn to ride hard, without worrying about accidentally revving it too high etc. Yeah, the F2 is far more beginner-friendly than the F4/F4i, but it's still more high-strung than the EX.

I'd encourage this girl to go with her instinct and buy the Kawasaki. (did I just say that? )

Erica

-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 09:30 AM

I think either bike would be a good choice. I learned on an F3 and never regretted it - in fact I would still be riding it today but I needed something that could gobble up the miles a little more comfortably. I don't think the F2 is too threatening for a beginner, provided she gets to a safety course first thing. With her height she should be able to manage either one easily (seems most newbie drops come from loss of balance at a standstill).

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by superbikebiotch
Challenges in life are a good thing! (Other wise we'd be out riding cruisers if we wanted to poke along, relaxing, working at 30%, following the exact speed limit and traffic flow! )
This is killing me - one more speeding ticket and I lose my license for a month. I've got another 11 months of doing the speed limit to clear this mess up.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 09:44 AM

You don't have to keep a CBR at 4 grand when you are learning to ride it. You gotta learn throttle control on any bike you choose, too much gas at such and such lean angle will spit you out wider than you anticipated, or chopping it on/off in a corner etc...the results are the same on any bike. We're not talking 750's or liter bikes that will loop ya. Its the same as a Ninja 250, in a parking lot... at those learning speeds, you are in first or second gear no matter what bike you are on... Even at road speed, its easy nice bike to ride, even if you whack open the throttle- that was my point. That it is safe and trust worthy. (As far as power kicking in when you do that, even my Ninja 250 had a nice lil kick going into 2nd if you were really on it, where you had better be hanging on.) Can't comment on the EX500 because I never got to ride one, but just sharing my experience with the CBR. I don't think it really matters that much which bike you go for: a 250, 500 or 600, which brand etc... its personal preferance and dedication/practice to learn, and you are there. You can get into trouble on ANY bike... thats why ya wanna take the MSF course and find out what kinda trouble there is out there, how to avoid it, deal with it etc...
Pick the bike your heart desires and have fun!

SHERI

I'M NOT A BITCH, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ME!

EOS
http://www.exhibitionofspeed.net
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 09:50 AM

Talking F2

Here is my 2 cents worth...i say make her do the MSF course..see if she even survives it without dumping the bike..and then ask her if the power seemed ok for her..meaning, to much or to little, or just right...if its just right, then she shoud get a 250 and learn on that..if she wants more power than if a friend has a 500 or a 600 let her ride it around for an hour or so and see what she thinks then..alot of riders get into something that they think they can handle, only to end up riding over there head and then crashing...For me, i started on a 250, im glad i did...it taught me how to get used to riding without concern about whacking the throttle to hard and being tossed off, which could easily happen to a new rider on a bigger bike...so..one step at a time, make her take the MSF course..and then see what happens...hmm.. that might of been 5 cents worth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode