Lowering kit? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Lowering kit?

My wife rides a ZX6E, she dropped it the other day and I'm convinced that lowering it could not hurt. Who makes a kit and where can I get one? Thanx, Vic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 08:31 AM

Ride Height Adjustment Link

I got my lowering kit from ADJUSTMENT TECH RACING 705-799-5139. They are based in Canada- I found them in a sport bike mag- they had an article done on them. The link cost $199 (includes shipping)
I put it on my CBR F3, wasn't hard to do, I also lowered the front forks to match the rear- no changes/problems in handling etc... I also shaved my seat (did that before I bought the link, trying to get it lower.) I gained about 3 1/2 inches-totally flat footed and bent in the knee. ( I am 5'3- was barely touching the ground) There is no problems with bottom clearance, I compared it to the bottom clearance of an R1 and it is about the same- so I have never had any problems with pot holes, speed bumps etc...
I decided to lower it after I dropped mine at a stop sign. And I have found it easier to control since I have plenty of footing, plus its center of gravity is lower (not so top heavy for me). It brought me alot of confidence, ease of stopping, starting and slow speed maneuvers. I'll do it to any bike I get where I can't (or just barely) touch the ground. Its a nice feeling to have a bike that fits you and doesn't feel like you are a little kid trying to ride an adults 10 speed.
There's other lowering kits too, so you can shop around if you want.
Hope this helps!

SHERI

I'M NOT A BITCH, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ME!

EOS
http://www.exhibitionofspeed.net
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Yes, very helpful Sheri, Thank you! I called and spoke with Adj Tech yesterday and they filled me in. I may try to shop a little because with their links I'll lose the center stand and need to get a set of bar risers from Gen-Mar. He also says I may have to shorten the kick stand. The up side is that the links are adjustable and the bike can be lowered as much as 4 inches- that's a whole lot of lowering- think I'll only need 2. Thanks again, Vic

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:12 AM

I don't even know what I am missing with a center stand, my ninja 250 that was supposed to have one didn't because it had to be removed for the muzzy that replaced the dual pipes.
As far as the kick stand, it depends on how much you lower it and how your particular bike reacts,I lowered my bike quite a bit, and when I put the kickstand down, it'd sit there, but not leaned over as far, so driveways and hills were tricky in how you parked. You can call a welder for a quote on the cost to shorten it, shouldn't be too much, some of them even come to your house!
What would be nice is if the dealerships and mechanics would realize the potential for money made from all of us that would benefit from a lowered bike, if they could offer the service and have the parts in stock... but women- and I guess hort people just don't put enough bucks out there in motorcycles- according to the dealers- to make it worthwhile to stock a nice selection of womens gear, including leathers and small helmets etc... maybe someday we will!
Good Luck!

SHERI

I'M NOT A BITCH, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ME!

EOS
http://www.exhibitionofspeed.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode