Help me convince my wife to try riding! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Help me convince my wife to try riding!

My wife and I love to do things together.

She felt left out when I used to go to track days and race my cars, so I got her into it and now she loves it, and we do it together. Recently I picked up my first sportbike, it's 9 years old, and a little beat up on one side F2, perfect for learning on I figured, and since getting it I've been hooked.

So now I go out riding in the canyons with my friends, and hopefully I'll be doing some track days soon, but again she's starting to feel left out, I know she would love riding if she tried it and she admits that she would like to. The problem is she's afraid of dumping the bike, crashing, hurting herself, etc. About a year ago I barrowed my friends Honda Elite scooter for a day while my car was out of commission, I let her ride it and she had a blast untill she lost concentration, rocked her weight backwards and held onto the throttle untill she crashed into our garage at about 15 mph and fell off. Aside from a skinned hand, bruised knee and a bruised ego she was fine. We spent all day fixing the scooter and she felt really bad.

Everytime I try to get her to give the bike a try, she brings this incident up and says she simply can't handle it. I know that with a little practice and concentration that she could.

You gals have any suggestions?

93 CBR600F2
02 Impreza WRX
93 MR2 Turbo
88 MR2 Supercharged

4 vehicles, 6.2 liters, 800 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Well I'm not a gal but I say, show her a picture of my ass and tell her that she can see it for long periods of time but only if she can ride something fast enough

Totally joking!!

As far as useful advise? I have none to offer. Good luck~!

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:59 PM

Your wife is human, I think everyone is excited and apprehensive at the same time. But it is worth it once you get the hang of it. My advice would be to take her to a parking lot and let her learn to counter steer and do some basic turns and cones, let her read some books, and go to a MSF class. Give her lots of support and encouragement, let her know its OK if she's drops the bike, put some sliders on it, (you could even take the fairings off it you really wanted to go that far.) And devote some time to her learning. I went out just about every night to a parking lot to practice before my class date came up.
You can check out my website, which is geared to women who want to ride their own bike. I share alot about what it was like for me, what my experience was, and even the dumb stuff I have done.
NO LONGER THE BIOTCH ON THE BACK
http://www.geocities.com/superbikebiotch/index.html

My only regret about riding, that I didn't start sooner!

SHERI

I'M NOT A BITCH, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ME!

EOS
http://www.exhibitionofspeed.net

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 10:15 PM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Arrow

Well, the fact is that statistics are against your wife and chances are good that she will drop a bike at least once. The trick is getting her to see that the benefits outweigh the risks.

The first thing I would do is to convince her to take the MSF course. This will introduce her to the very basics of riding while being surrounded by people in the same position as her: new! It will also allow her to ride a bike where IF (and that's a pretty big if) she drops the bike she won't have to worry about it. They've been dropped before, they will be dropped again and most don't have any bodywork to damage.

I would also try and convince her to ride on the back with you on some of your rides. It will probably mean slowing down a bit, but riding two up I've found to be a pretty cool experience. I loved riding with my husband... until I learned to ride on my own.

While I love riding, I'll be the first to admit that crashing is a possibility, and I've had my share of road rash. For me the benefits outweigh the risks. I believe that being safe on the road is 90% rider awareness and that one key to having fun on the road is to learn to "read" other drivers and to ride defensively. I'm not sure how to relate this in words to convince someone else to ride, it's just something I do and I believe it's one reason I've been so lucky thus far.

So in conclusion be postiive and include your wife in your riding as much as possible. She sounds very cool and I'll bet that she comes around in time if you keep showing her how much fun it is.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 10:45 AM

If she is scared of crashing again..well..hate to say it, but, there are 2 kinds of riders, those who have crashed and those who are going to..dont pressure her into riding, if she doesnt want to she doesnt want to! If she wants to, well, duh..she will! Let her make her decision, its her life, right?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:35 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
My fiancee got her license like 5 years ago because her boyfriend at the time told her that motorcycles aren't for women. Her being the type that will do anything just because someone says she can't, went right out and got her license. She really didn't ride much after that though until the last few months. She started eyeballing my F4 bu at the same time was scared to death of it. We looked around and finally decided on a Buell Blast. Almost the same weight at the Honda, but a way lower seat height, so she felt comfortable learning on it. Once she got used to the weight she was ready to try the F4. We ended up having about 1.75" taken out by Lindeman Engineering so she could get the balls of her feet down, and off she went! She is learning at her own pace, and doing an amazing job.

The point to the story is that if your wife wants to ride, she will. Sounds to me that she is not quite ready yet to take the step, but she's heading that way. Take her out on your bike with you, show her how fun and safe it is, and she'll become more and more interested. Let her learn at her own pace, and encourage her at every step. The worst thing you can do is be critical, let her figure things out, and offer advice when she needs it. Other than that, just give it time. Good luck!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys, she seemed to warm up to the idea of trying it out in a parking lot after I told her I could take the fairings off, so we might try that next week.

BTW Spice, that pocket bike stoppie kicks ass!

93 CBR600F2
02 Impreza WRX
93 MR2 Turbo
88 MR2 Supercharged

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Hill-Billy
Be careful of what you wish for. You just might get it! If I’m not riding to work, my wife is on the back 75% of the time. Now she wants a bike of her own. A R6 no less.

Thats right, the flag is comming back!

I’m not a complete idiot…some parts are missing…

If you are going to be dumb… you’d better be tuff…

Just wait until my 300th post…then they will take me serious!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

I think our wives don't want us out riding alone because they know what incredible chick magnets the bikes are

93 CBR600F2
02 Impreza WRX
93 MR2 Turbo
88 MR2 Supercharged

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 02:16 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckGmr2
Thanks for all the advice guys, she seemed to warm up to the idea of trying it out in a parking lot after I told her I could take the fairings off, so we might try that next week.

BTW Spice, that pocket bike stoppie kicks ass!

Thanks, I doctored it a little and added a CBR XX on the side, but the Avatar is too small to see it. Anyway, I hope all goes well with the parking lot ride!.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode