Too Short?!? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Talking YOU GUYS ROCK

I have NEVER been more depressed in my LIFE.....and you have no idea how much better I felt when I read your responses
I know I know.....blah blah blah cry me a river
I just wanted to say thank you it meant the world to me
and I hope to see you guys soon....I am going to Laguna (even if I have to go alone) So see ya there!!!
Nico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:39 PM

Good advice from all.

Jane, have you attended an MSF course yet? Do that if you haven't already. You'll get to play with either a 125 or a 250 and be able to flat foot it no problem. Of course, in the MSF they teach you to put only your left foot down at a stop because they want your right on the rear brake. So... Being short can be overcome with a little creativity and practice. Best advice I heard so far is to start with an older bike that won't make you cringe so much IF you drop it. Get used to it and then go buy a nice, new, pretty one of your choice. Tell your Brother to shut his trap.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 05:47 AM

Wow, your brother does live in the stone age. Just ignore him and his remarks. I'm just about 5'4" tall and my very first motorcycle was a 99' GSX-R600 (brand new). It was probably a little bit bigger then I should have gotten, but I wasn't going to have any man tell me what I could handle and what I couldn't. My boyfriend was very supportive of me, but it was the salesman that was telling me to go for a 500cc or smaller.

Well, since I'm athletic and I love a challenge I knew a 500cc or smaller would get boring very quick so I opted for the 600. Let me tell you I was right - I ended up selling the 600 a year later and upgraded to the GSX-R750. That particular bike might be too tall for you (I'm on the balls of my feet), but have you looked at the Suzuki SV650? It's a more comfortable riding position then the GSX-R's but at the same time it does have some good power in it. The SV has gained some popularity with the racing scene so you might be able find a used one (with some mods ) if you don't want to go new.

Good luck to you and don't let anyone hold you back from doing something YOU want to do!

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 07:14 PM

Cool

I am only 5'2" and ride a Ninja 600R. I had to have ot lowered a couple inches but that is very comfortable-- even being a new rider! Love it!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 04:13 PM

Jane,

Like everyone else said, you can lower pretty much any bike. I'm 4'11", 5'if you measure the high platforms. My boyfriend would go riding every week-end and I stayed home and wished... Finally, I got mine, my dad lowered it for me, and little did he know in less than 6 mo. I was right next to him along with the other ones, riding. I'm loving every minute of it!

At first I just wanted to prove myself, show him that I can do it!, now I don't care what everybody else says, I just love riding it. Good luck. I have an FZR600. Let me know how you're doing.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 12:01 AM

Don't even worry. I saw a tiny woman on a big Honda Superhawk up at Alice's. She had to stretch a little, but she did it just fine.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 11:40 AM

too short

a lot of the women that ride with me can fit an old fzr 1000 easy they are short bikes. also if there is a problem with ride height you can lower a bike by putting different length dogbones on it
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 01:04 PM

I am around 5' 4" and I started with a zx6. Last sat. I picked up my Honda 954. Scarry ahaha!

It has one of the highest seat postions of the sports bike at 32.4" I think my inseam is something like 28 1/2. Means that both my feet touch at the same time!. I did a few mods to this. I extended the kickstand lever. Had a machine shop cut off the ball and weld an extension on it. I lowered the bike a bit by adjusting the preload. You just need to be attentive of which way the ground slants at on stops haha.

So dont let anyone say that you cant ride a sportbike!!!

You can see how big the bike is at:
http://www.geocities.com/reno229/gall
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 09:19 AM

Go easy on your brother. Maybe he's just jealous. Life is too short to be bickering all the time. My brother used to tease me and now I see my little guy (5) teasing his little sister (2). I'm trying to put a stop to it.
Its great that you are passionate about bikes, but don't let it get in the way of family.
Your best bet is to
1. keep your mouth shut
2. get your license
3. buy your bike
4. don't brag about it and don't pay any attention to criticism
5. most importantly, HAVE FUN!!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 09:47 AM

I'm only 5'0" or 5'1" in the morning. I had a fzr600. I had to make my own seat(shaving the cusion down). I liked the ninja 500. It is light enough. It was the only bike I never dropped. I managed to get both feet on the ground, which is what I always wanted. It helped me tremendously. I don't have a bike right now. I know what it's like to be short. My next bike will have a lowering kit for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode