Bike for my girlfriend? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Bike for my girlfriend?

I just got a YZF600R, and I want to get my gf a bike. She is 5'3 and weighs 100lbs. What do the ladies here suggest I get her in that will be fun for her and I still if we ride together? Thanks in advance.

2002 YZF600R ~blue/silver/white
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ~silver/blue

~Got BOOST? Mines For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 06:53 PM

Re: Bike for my girlfriend?

Quote:
Originally posted by YZF600R Guy
I just got a YZF600R, and I want to get my gf a bike. She is 5'3 and weighs 100lbs. What do the ladies here suggest I get her in that will be fun for her and I still if we ride together? Thanks in advance.
Kawasaki ex250. She will feel comfortable on this because it is very light and the seat height is low. When she is comfortable on that, then trade up for something with a little more power

Jennifer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 10:13 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Arrow

Almost any bike can be lowered, but some good bikes that women seem to start out on a lot are like jjcm said the Ninja 250, or even the Ninja (EX) 500. Another bike I think is a good bike to start out on is the GS500 from Suzuki. If you can find one, I'd highly recommend a Bandit 400, they come with no fairings but it's fairly easy to install aftermarket parts on these bikes.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:29 AM

her bike

Like the others have said, get her a ex250, i started out on a vtr 250..it was a great starter bike, very forgiving if she forgets to roll off the throttle when shifting, and low power, light and easy..you can pick one up for about 1-2k...she wont have it for more than 6 months and will be ready for something bigger..females are always ready for something bigger
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Triple
>females are always ready for something bigger

Yeah, EX250's, EX500's, GS500's, etc are all great beginner's bikes, but why lady riders should start smaller than a lot of male riders do is a little condescending. Any new rider can safely start out on a bike with more power so long as they understand clutch modulation, know the basic controls of a motorcycle, etc. And especially if she has taken some type of safety course.

My suggestion-- a Kawasaki ZR-7 or ZR-7S. Tame, predictable power delivery, but enough power to kill anything on four wheels and keep the rider entertained for a while.

Just my thoughts, anyway.
My suggestion was based on her SIZE not her gender
5'3" 100lbs the seat height and the bike's weight were the main consideration. The 250 is only 304lbs dry and the seat height is 29.3" compared to the ZR-7S at 463 dry and 31.5" seat height.

Jennifer

Last edited by jjcm; 05-15-2002 at 02:32 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:34 PM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Quote:
Yeah, EX250's, EX500's, GS500's, etc are all great beginner's bikes, but why lady riders should start smaller than a lot of male riders do is a little condescending.
Who ever said guys should start out on something bigger than this? I recommend these bikes to EVERYONE who asks.

FWIW, these are bikes that are common for girls to start out on, recommended by female riders. As much as I hate it, women tend to have different approaches to riding than men, and these bikes seem to fit that attitude better. This is experience talking, not pandering.

Quote:
Any new rider can safely start out on a bike with more power so long as they understand clutch modulation, know the basic controls of a motorcycle, etc. And especially if she has taken some type of safety course. If you want to go cheap, sure, buy a Ninja 250. But I say that she can start out on a machine that she won't get bored of so quickly.
True, but any seasoned rider will probably tell you that that's still not the best way to start. One mis-step on a bike with more power will easily put a new rider into an unsavory situation. The same mis-step on one of these bikes will probably not or at the very least, it won't have dire consequences. Imagine an accidental extra twist of the wrist in a corner on a GSXR 750 vs. an EX500.

Quote:
My suggestion-- a Kawasaki ZR-7 or ZR-7S. Tame, predictable power delivery, but enough power to kill anything on four wheels and keep the rider entertained for a while. That, and used 2000 models are going for cheap right now.
All of these bikes will kill any four wheeled vehicle off the line. As for getting bored, it is MHO that people get bored for the wrong reasons. So you can't go 150 mph in a straight line after 6 months on a Ninja 250. Doesn't mean you're a skilled rider because you want to.

Erica

-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 03:29 PM

Quote:

The EX250 is a good bike to learn on if you are moving up to more powerful sportbikes that you plan on riding hard. The baby Ninja has zero torque, requiring you to rev the hell out of it to make the ride anything close to interesting. This teaches a new rider how to use his/her gears and revs instead of just riding the big fat power curve of a larger bike. I say that if you can master thrashing an EX250, bigger bikes will be a breeze.
That is true. I really enjoyed thrashing on my EX250

Quote:
On the other hand, though, an EX250 can be difficult to get the hang of. If a beginner doesn't want to have to worry so much about smooth operation, if he/she isn't all that interested in real aggressive riding, and he/she just wants to learn quickly and get out on the road, I think a larger displacement bike would be a better choice. Get a beginner with no experience operating a clutch, and see which bike she has an easier time taking off with between an EX250 and a ZR-7. Torque can be a good thing when you're just starting out. [/B]
Also true and hard to transition to another type of bike (personal experience) Little ninja to the Katana was not an easy transition
Quote:
I'm not saying that a beginner should buy a true-grit sportbike as his/her first ride, but there are motorcycles out there that offer substantial low-end torque without the frightening top-end horsepower, so that power delivery is still sane and controllable. ZR-7's, SV650's, Katana's, etc, are all decent examples.
[/B]
I wouldn't suggest a Katana. Nice bikes and all but after riding one for a month or so...it's not my first pick. The SV650's are nice though
Quote:
How about letting this little lady pick one out for herself?
[/B]
I'm sure she will Suggestions just give her a place to start looking.

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode