Next bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Next bike?

I have had my EX250 for about a year now and am thinking about getting a little bit more bike. My husband (who also is wanting a different bike) thinks that I should take over his Katana 600 for awhile to get used to more power instead of buying a new bike right away. He wants to trade one of the bikes in for his new bike and the decision of which one is basically mine.

What do you all think? The upside of the 250 is that it is paid for and I feel extremely comfortable handling it. The downside of course is that it is a 250 and I would like a little more power. The upside of the Kat is that it has a bit more power and I feel comfortable riding it but once it is standing still it is very heavy (parking, getting it up on the center stand to clean it, etc) and I don't care that much for the looks of it. Right now I do not have the option of a new bike for myself (student loans stink!!!) so I need to choose between keeping mine or inheriting the Kat. Any opinions are welcome

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 06:34 AM

Go for the Kat. Nuttin' like experience with more weight/more power. Ride it long enough to get comfortable with it, then you'll know more 'bout what you want if you get a new one down the road. You'll also be more familiar with the weight, and stand less chance of dropping a new one in a parking lot mishap, etc.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 06:55 AM

I agree - take the Kat and stash your cash. I think you'll get used to the weight faster than you think.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 10:26 AM

Cool

Agreed. Working with a heavier bike will only make you appreciate a lighter bike more, once you do get one. If you are starved for more power and low on funds, take advantage of the situation you are in. Kats aren't the fastest, or best looking, things on the road, but at the same time they are very comfortable to ride. Take on the Kat for a while and save your $$. Just my $.02.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

My husband thinks I am nuts for even thinking about keeping the 250 instead of the Kat and so far everyone is agreeing with him. I guess since he is planning on moving up to something a with a little more power I would be silly to keep the 250

Jennifer
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 02:43 PM

one of my ex-wifes went from a.

250 kawi to a 600 katana...she loved it, was a natural up grade..
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 03:03 PM

Take the Kat. Sharpen your skills on it. Then, after a while, make your husband feel guilty about him buying a new bike and you having to use the old one. Sneak out and buy an '03 R6.

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079
Take the Kat. Sharpen your skills on it. Then, after a while, make your husband feel guilty about him buying a new bike and you having to use the old one. Sneak out and buy an '03 R6.
I like the way you think I wanted either a R6 or a ZX-6R as my next bike anyway (you can get a real good deal on the Kawi right now) but I guess that can wait and have one as my third bike.

Jennifer
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jjcm
I wanted either a R6 or a ZX-6R as my next bike anyway (you can get a real good deal on the Kawi right now)...
R6 or 6R...hmmm...just ask me 'bout a 6R...go on, just ask me (I dare ya)!

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 05:36 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by basicblur

R6 or 6R...hmmm...just ask me 'bout a 6R...go on, just ask me (I dare ya)!
Shush!! You're biased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode