Why Did You Start Riding? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Question Why Did You Start Riding?

Just curious.

I admit, it started from a huge crush I had on a guy. That lasted about two months, until I moved to AZ and realized what a blast it would be to ride in the warm weather. Funny thing, I never, ever wanted to be just a passenger. From the get-go I wanted my own machine.

Now, I can't imagine NOT riding. What ever did I do before motorcycles?

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 08:13 AM

After 10 years of bicycle racing and declaring that I would never own a motorcycle. Hopped on a friends 1978 Honda Hawk and got hooked. A year later, with patience and savings I bought a 1990 FZR 600.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 09:29 AM

Cool

I grew up on and around motoX for the most part, but it wasn't until my senior year in high school that my best friend's brother introduced me to the sport bike side of things. Two years ago I finally started getting the desire to have my own rocket. It must have had something to do with that Southwest sunshine calling me to the roads. I love the lifestyle and the people I've met because of it. I'm really in no rush to get my own bike right now. I keep putting it off using my truck and my dirt bike as excuses. Maybe one of these days I will break down and get a 600 of my own so I can actually learn to ride well enough to keep up with my friends. In the meantime I'll keep playing in the mud.

Excellent question chicky!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 09:31 AM

My husband was talking about getting me a new car. Well, he didn't like the cars that I was looking at and sent me an email with a picture of a sportbike in mid-lean with the caption "2 of these for half the price of the car". I went with him to look at some bikes. Sat on one and decided it was a good idea. Glad I did

Jennifer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 12:06 AM

I kind of started out like Diane, But I was around cars. My Grandfather raced and so did my uncle. I watched him go from Mini-Stock, to Bush Series, So the "speed factor" was already in my blood. They tried to get me into car racing. But for some reason I reisted. I loved motorcycls and dated a few guys in high school that had them. But still didnt have tht NEED for one. I moved away at 18 and had my own life for awhile then met Mr. Right and he rode. He had a 600 Ninja and always asked me if I wanted to dirve home... I thought he was nuts...
He fineally got me in the saddle in Flordia on the beach... Picture this Bike Week, girl in bikini on beach riding motorcycle w/ boyfriend on back. Had the "beach police" ( one REALLY drunk Harley guy) try to stop me...because I looked too good...Well he was standing directelly in front of me and I was traveling about 10 mph... I tried to tell him I didnt know how to stop... I really didnt!!! after the front tire was between his knees...Im serious here... he decided to jump! His buddies that were in the bed of the pick up truck fell out! Well he was ok, and I was ok... boyfriend was still on back laughing so hard he was throwing me off balance... fineally got the bike stopped and that when I HAD to have one. and a year and a half later I fineally got one...Im now giving him a run for his money out of those stop lights when the coast is clear... I cant ever imagine riding on the back again...
~Melody

Men.....
They all start out like grapes, and it's our job to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they mature into something you'd like to have dinner with.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 02:23 AM

I started riding bikes cos my dad had bikes for years and years and he used to take me on the back from quite a young age. He used to come home from work and id put the bike away in the garage for him from about the age of 12. I remember him comeing home from the Honda shop after buying a 2 year old cbx 1000, I could'nt believe how wide it was with 6 cylinders.. I first rode that cbx when i was 14 with dad on the back.... I can't imagine NOT having a bike there is nothing quite like it i'm sure you'll all agree

I refuse to go through life carefully only to arrive at death safely

Aaron Pritchard
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 03:45 AM

Independance, speed and chicks !

Not necessarily in that order.

Better Smeg than dead
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 04:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to naefearjustbeer
When I turned 17 and got my provisional licence . I decided to learn to drive the car. My mother said it will cost you X amount of money to go on the insurance and you wont be allowed my car very often etc etc. So i decided to get a bike. that ment independance i could go out by myself without a co driver and it also worked out a hell of a lot cheaper for me at the time.
I always new i would get a bike for as long as i could remember. My dad has had bikes of all descriptions all through his life from Harleys , Nortons , Vespas to Jawas and even a couple of "Jap Crap" his words not mine!!! So i geuss it must be in the genes, Although I have to admit all my bikes have been "Jap Crap". And a couple of european scooters.
Even though my bikes are Japanese it hasnt stopped my dad from wanting a shot and coming back grinning from ear to ear after a quick spin. I suppose it just aint the same unless your bike leaves little pools of oil on the road every time you park it up. Sentimental stubborn old man !!!

Donnie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode