Women and Off the Rack Leathers - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Question Women and Off the Rack Leathers

Okay girls. I tried on a bunch of leathers at Laguna Seca this weekend, and I have some questions for you all that already have them. I am 5'11, 135 lbs. Yes, I'm skinny. I fit into a size 40 suit, but as I'm sure you have discovered, the leathers are made for men's girth as well as height. The legs fit fine, but the arms and chest were a concern. They were too loose. I've got a Dainese armor suit, (the kind that dirtbikers wear), and my husband suggested that I wear that under the leathers, but this seems bulky and even more uncomfortable than just the regular suit, not to mention it would probably impair my movement.

I don't want a 2 piece suit, and if I can help it, I don't want to special order one. My funds are rather limited. ($700 max)

As I'm sure I'm not the only one faced with these problems, I'm really curious what you all have done.

Thanks,
Erica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ttiana Send a message via Yahoo to Ttiana
Were you trying on men's suits? Did they have any specifically for women?

I don't have a suit but I have had problems in finding textile jackets for women that don't look like ass and fit well. Found http://www.bimoto.be/en/company/index.htm thru a post on this site and they have full one piece Dainese suits for women at amazing prices.

Good luck on the search....I'll be checking back to see what people have found!
T

Memento Mori
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 09:27 AM

TRy Spidi

When you are investing in leathers, you will only do it once for a long time...so spend the little extra $$$ to get something that fits and is made well. Anyways, what is the difference between 700-1000...if you are getting something NEW!!! Trust me if you do any chrashing you will want them to hold up and not fall apart because they are used.

Try Competition Accessories. They have women's one pieace leathers ...new for this year. I bought the men's spidi one pieace last year and I'm very pleased compared to the other guys' leathers that aren't holding up and look like...s*it!!

Good luck in your search though!!!

Hope this helps

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
elo

Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Ttiana
Were you trying on men's suits? Did they have any specifically for women?

I don't have a suit but I have had problems in finding textile jackets for women that don't look like ass and fit well. Found http://www.bimoto.be/en/company/index.htm thru a post on this site and they have full one piece Dainese suits for women at amazing prices.

Good luck on the search....I'll be checking back to see what people have found!
T
Women's suits... The elusive product that everyone says exists but few have seen. I think I'd have had more luck looking for yeti. Mota had one Dainese black suit, made for short women. Other than that, I tried on all mens. One guy actually told me that nobody makes womens leathers except for the two piece versions. I just nodded my head and left his tent.

I'll check out that link, thanks.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 10:55 AM
Banned

My recommendation is for you to buy whichever leathers fit "close" to what you need. Then go find an alterations place that does leather work. Talk to them first to ensure they use the proper stitching/materials. There are a number of leather repair places around. Check with them.

It's damn near impossible for ANYONE to find leathers "off the rack" that fit like a custom set. However, a leather shop can alter it so it IS a custom fit!

I do alterations for "off the rack" leathers, but I'll charge you $500 'cause I'm a dick like that.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
elo

Re: TRy Spidi

Quote:
Originally posted by YamaMAMMA
When you are investing in leathers, you will only do it once for a long time...so spend the little extra $$$ to get something that fits and is made well. Anyways, what is the difference between 700-1000...if you are getting something NEW!!! Trust me if you do any chrashing you will want them to hold up and not fall apart because they are used.

Try Competition Accessories. They have women's one pieace leathers ...new for this year. I bought the men's spidi one pieace last year and I'm very pleased compared to the other guys' leathers that aren't holding up and look like...s*it!!

Good luck in your search though!!!

Hope this helps
I couldn't find any Spidi that I liked at the races, but I will look into them, thanks! I really liked the Kobe leathers. They weren't outrageous, they looked nice, and they fit pretty well. Actually, I think it was the Competition Accessories tent I had the most luck at. I picked up one of their catalogs.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 06:35 AM

Lightbulb

I know for a fact Spidi makes a woman's leather one piece that fits like a glove, at least on me (5-5 125) They aren't cheap, but since women are still considered new to riding, women's gear isn't going to be cheap. You want to look like a chick on a bike, get used to putting out some serious cash. Dainese I've heard makes a suit similar to the Spidi, but again just as spendy. Even buying two piece suits is going to push the price up to 800-900. Sucks being a woman huh? At least in the pocket book. Good luck chicky.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
elo

Arrow Okay

I checked out the spidi stuff, and couldn't find any that would fit me that aren't one piece. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? (Lockhart Phillips).
Ttiana, that site you put a link to is INCREDIBLE! Those prices are amazing, though US tax isn't included, and the good Lord only knows how much shipping from Belgium is. Unfortunately, a size 40 is hard to come by. So are colors that aren't either kawasaki green, red, or yellow. But thanks. That's my best lead!

I appreciate everyone's help!

-Erica
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:18 AM

From what I've seen and read in the mags, I've heard that the Kushtani's are made for "skinny" people. You may want to check them out.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
elo

Thumbs down I did

Quote:
Originally posted by waynofzr
From what I've seen and read in the mags, I've heard that the Kushtani's are made for "skinny" people. You may want to check them out.
they are WAY out of my price range.

But thanks anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode