New Camero - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
I thought they were already on the market over there? Going off your comment, I'm guessing they're not?
the GTO is here... but it's not selling well... I was say'n that those two you posted MIGHT sell for about the same price IF the brought them to the US.... sorry for the confusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
...Show me a stock '65 GTO, now THAT trips my trigger...
I love old iron, but I also love modern technology.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 07:40 PM

The cool thing is, you can drop modern technology into old cars.

It's not half as expensive as the magazines would have one believe, either.

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 07:59 PM

Yeah, I've heard some magazines refer to it as "Retro-tech".

Definitely the way to go. My wish list includes a 1968 four-door pillarless Impala with an injected big block.

post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:30 AM

Personally, I don't think they've ever built a Camaro worth owning. But then again, I'm not much a pony car guy, either. I come from the school of midsize cars being true musclecars, like GTO's, Chevelle SS's, Road Runners, 442's, Galaxies, etc. Although the 1970-1/2 through 1973 Trans Am's were some good looking F-Bodies.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 06:35 AM

Drop modern technology into an old car? you gotta be joking me.

Sure you can up the engine output to rediculous levels, but that could have been done years ago as well. Brakes improved sagnificantly, but all of this means little with huge, heavy, flimsy frames. Handling seriously suffers seriously with those, and there is very little you can do about it. (short of building your own frame, and putting a fiberglass body on it). To me those old school muscle cars are like cruisers. They look awsome in parking lots, but they just dont measure up anymore.
Something strange happened to the sportscar market in the 90's. its virtually all dead, except for either the stangs, or the not so affordable market. (I am not sure where the new vettes fit in)

post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:17 AM

I wouldn't count on a new camaro any time soon. GM is doing terribly in this department. I could see killing off the camaro OR the firebird/trans am, but not both.

To counteract that they introduce the GTO, never driven one personally. It may have the power, but looks like a family car... pass!

They also brought out that stupid SSR car/truck thing (and I like car/trucks). Could have been really cool (but ugly) if it had been everything they hyped it up to be, but with no power and a rediculous price tag, can we say FLOP! I've only ever seen one driving and a local dealership is slowly piling up with them.

The corvette is the corvette. I don't think there's ever been a "bad" one per say, but they're not cheap. And I can't stand the vette purists... "It's not a chevy, it's a corvette!" sorry guys, it's a chevy, deal with it!

The mustang is the best bang for the buck out of the big 3 imo. $27k would have gotten me a basically fully loaded Mustang GT. I would own it right now if Ford's sales team wasn't a bunch of idiots, but hey, I'm more than happy to continue driving my 18 year old t-bird. Only issues that car's ever given me were rust issues, but I live in New England and it has to be expected.

Option B was a Mazda RX8. I would have one of those right now if I wasn't moving, they were gonna meet the price of the stang, but losing my well paying job with my move prevented me from buying that when I blew up the motor in my daily driver.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vtrryder
...I come from the school of midsize cars being true musclecars, like GTO's, Chevelle SS's, Road Runners, 442's, Galaxies, etc...
F*ck me! If these are your mid-size cars, what are your big ones??!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
...Drop modern technology into an old car? you gotta be joking me.

Sure you can up the engine output to rediculous levels, but that could have been done years ago as well. Brakes improved sagnificantly, but all of this means little with huge, heavy, flimsy frames. Handling seriously suffers seriously with those, and there is very little you can do about it. (short of building your own frame, and putting a fiberglass body on it). To me those old school muscle cars are like cruisers. They look awsome in parking lots, but they just dont measure up anymore....
Perhaps the stuff being built over there are as you've described but, in Australia, cars are built to be driven, hard.

The biggest bonus with modern engines in older cars is economy. Fuel injection will always eat a big carby when it comes to power / fuel consumption. Plus, with FI, you can make a monster hp motor idle like a kitten, but then roar when you mash the pedal.

You're right in that an older car will never entirely shape up to a modern car, but for those who love old style, the Retro-tech path is definitely the best path to travel.

post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Drop modern technology into an old car? you gotta be joking me.

Sure you can up the engine output to rediculous levels, but that could have been done years ago as well. Brakes improved sagnificantly, but all of this means little with huge, heavy, flimsy frames. Handling seriously suffers seriously with those, and there is very little you can do about it. (short of building your own frame, and putting a fiberglass body on it). To me those old school muscle cars are like cruisers. They look awsome in parking lots, but they just dont measure up anymore.
Something strange happened to the sportscar market in the 90's. its virtually all dead, except for either the stangs, or the not so affordable market. (I am not sure where the new vettes fit in)
Flimsy frames?
Bad handling?

We must be thinking of different cars.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Show me a 60's muscle car that is good at anything other than streight line run. (but they do run well in a streigh line)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode