Drifting advice. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Drifting advice.

Well winter what it is, I gotta drive around. The roads are wet, and I gotta have alittle fun. This is my first truck, and for some reason I never really drifted a car before. So here is where i am.

Come into the corner abit hot, clutch in, Brake enough to transfer the weight to the front, dump the clutch with enough gas to get the rear spinning.
The read end slides out behind me, perfectly almost putting me 90deg from the direction I am trying to go. I keep the front tires aimed at the direction I want to end up in, keeping the rear tires spinning. So far so good.

Here is where the problem starts coming in. The rear end starts to come back around and inline with the road. But it over shoots and results in a suden jerk when it has to change direction again, and a few more swivels later I am where I want to be.

Is there anyway to bring it back smooth, no jerking?

Any advice would be appritiated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:52 AM

Re: Drifting advice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Well winter what it is, I gotta drive around. The roads are wet, and I gotta have alittle fun. This is my first truck, and for some reason I never really drifted a car before. So here is where i am.

Come into the corner abit hot, clutch in, Brake enough to transfer the weight to the front, dump the clutch with enough gas to get the rear spinning.
The read end slides out behind me, perfectly almost putting me 90deg from the direction I am trying to go. I keep the front tires aimed at the direction I want to end up in, keeping the rear tires spinning. So far so good.

Here is where the problem starts coming in. The rear end starts to come back around and inline with the road. But it over shoots and results in a suden jerk when it has to change direction again, and a few more swivels later I am where I want to be.

Is there anyway to bring it back smooth, no jerking?

Any advice would be appritiated.
Your Technique sounds good up until the end...when are you letting of the gas? Or are you burying it the entire time? Also..when the rear starts to correct itself are you countersteering?

I know this is an old post but I thought I would respond anyway.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Ahh, well at least someone responded.
I am not sure how countersteering relates to driving a car.
I keep the front wheels pointed in the direction of the road i am going, regardless of where the back end swings too.

How can I describe this better.
I'm going north, coming up on a turn east. Brake lightly, turn the wheel, and bury the gas. The front of the truck points east, but the back continues going north. eventually the back overtakes the front, so that my truck is facing almost south. I keep the front wheels pointing east the whole time. If I feel like the back is going to overtake completely and I am going to loose control, I let go of the gas and try to regain traction.
If I did the "throw" correctly, the back starts to come back in line, pointing me closer and closer to east. I start stepping off the gas, but not dropping completely. Should I stay on it the whole time?
once the tail comes back inline, and i am facing east, the tail keeps on going south a little past inline, than overcorrects, and does this 3-4 times.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 11:16 PM

I have experience drifting 2 cars. My AWD Legacy, and a 350Z.

Technique is different for both, but I'll go over my RWD technique.

What you are doing is the shift-lock. Pretty standard, but not very smooth (though in the wet, it can seem to be. Try it in the dry, and you get some drivetrain lash and probably a wicked hop out of the rear end).

I usually don't come in hot. Coming into a turn hot, never ends well. Stay in gear, steady throttle (not on it, just enough to maintain that "float" between on-power and engine braking). Flick left slightly, and then quickly come back right. Just before the car shifts, you CAN tap the brake with your left foot as you roll onto the gas with your right foot. You don't HAVE to tap the brake, and it's all a matter of just how fast you are going. Tapping the brake while turning, and you'll understeer. Keep that in mind.

Now, you can do a few things from here.

You can float, off throttle, wheels straight, just sort of sliding. This is kind of fun, better suited to cars that aren't in danger of rolling because in a top heavy truck, you want the wheels to KEEP spinning. You will experience a breif feeling of weightlesness where you "float", and that's the countersteer point.

Or, you can feather the throttle, counter steer keeping the wheels pointed where you want.

To pull out of the latter, you roll back off the throttle (don't jump off), and the car will begin to track again. It's difficult, with a slip angle so deep, to pull back smoothly to a road you are perpindicular to. Most of the time, if you are drifting along a curve, you can just straighten the wheel out as the curve straightens out and keep going.

Hard to describe my method, but hopefully it offers insight.

I know it's a video game, but the dynamics are pretty solid for real life.

If you can exit the drift lined up like in this picture, then you'll be nice and smooth. Like you never even lost traction at all...

Cheers
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 11:12 PM

What he said Your drift angle shouldn't exceed the curve of the road so to speak. You want the drift to end with the front of the car pointed in the direction you want to go - down the road at the end of the turn.

Maximum drift angle shouldn't exceed the angle of the corner so to speak - otherwise the back end is going to come around VERY hard and it's just wasted rubber at that point and stress on the car.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:14 PM

This has probably been said before

what you said sounds good, however, when you feel the rear end start to bite in, steer the opposite direction to correct.

Although my experience is in a BMW 330i sedan drifting on a skidpad.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Holy old thread. Figured it out, I was swinging the back end too far around, and even then I could've worked the throttle smoother the regain traction in a more pleasant manner. All long since worked out.

man, I love motorized things with wheels...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 08:56 PM

that's the great thing about this part of the forum, things move very slowly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode