truck question... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

truck question...

alright well i'm turnin my lil pos ranger into a pretty cool truck. I got a carburated 302 for it which im putting in next spring which i would love any info on that process if anyone has any. I got a good idea of everything i'll need. But my question is...I want to lift it atleast 6" and put atleast 35's on it. I have a 3"body lift on it and that was fairly easy to do. Wut is all envolved in a suspension lift? The kit i'm looking at is $475 and comes with the shocks and springs and pivet mounts and thats about it. Do i need a new (longer) drive shaft? or extend brake cables or anything???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 01:10 PM

Private message this guy o|||||||o
he knows a good deal about that stuff
Tell him Quick Sent ya
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 01:15 PM

Re: truck question...

Quote:
Originally posted by cbr4rusty
alright well i'm turnin my lil pos ranger into a pretty cool truck. I got a carburated 302 for it which im putting in next spring which i would love any info on that process if anyone has any. I got a good idea of everything i'll need. But my question is...I want to lift it atleast 6" and put atleast 35's on it. I have a 3"body lift on it and that was fairly easy to do. Wut is all envolved in a suspension lift? The kit i'm looking at is $475 and comes with the shocks and springs and pivet mounts and thats about it. Do i need a new (longer) drive shaft? or extend brake cables or anything???
Going up with that much lift, you will need to extend the brake lines and quite possible need a new rear shaft. You may also want to consider replacing your rear axle. Depending on what model you have the 35s in combination with a V8 may kill it.

I will tell you this... you have your work cut out for you...

One other thing... although body lifts are inexpensive, they look good but really are a bad thing. When builing a vehicle for any type of off-roading you want to build a vehicle with the highest possible clearance and the lowest center of gravity... 3" of body lift drastically changes your center of gravity, and not in a good way. You will roll over sooner with a body lift, MUCH sooner...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 07:54 PM

Jeep on a lift it really depends on what you are planning on doing with the truck when using it off road. For playing in the mud the thing you want is to get the biggest and widest tires possible on it, which a body lift is great for; for rock climbing then your will want other things (dont know a lot about it).

cbr4rusty: for your swap to the 302 check out Ranger Power Sports they have a forum just for V8's in rangers
and for your Off Road Questions check out Off Road Rangers

Seth
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 11:31 PM

youll need a drop pitman arm
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 07:43 PM

Re: Re: truck question...

Quote:
Originally posted by o|||||||o
Going up with that much lift, you will need to extend the brake lines and quite possible need a new rear shaft. You may also want to consider replacing your rear axle. Depending on what model you have the 35s in combination with a V8 may kill it.

I will tell you this... you have your work cut out for you...

One other thing... although body lifts are inexpensive, they look good but really are a bad thing. When builing a vehicle for any type of off-roading you want to build a vehicle with the highest possible clearance and the lowest center of gravity... 3" of body lift drastically changes your center of gravity, and not in a good way. You will roll over sooner with a body lift, MUCH sooner...
You won't necessarily roll over sooner with a body lift if you have the wider tires, also. Yes if you keep your narrow, skinny little tires you will throw off your center of gravity, but if you get some nice wide tires (at least 12.5) you will improve your chances of not rolling over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode