manual trans in your car/truck - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: do it yourself or couldn't be bothered trans in your cage
Nothing but sticks for me. You know they're a metaphor for manhood??? 78 78.79%
Automatics are the best, better dial-in's, easier in the city... 7 7.07%
i don't care. Whatever comes in the cage I want. 14 14.14%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 04:18 PM

BTW, somehow I don't see how manual transmissions are metaphor for manhood?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 05:12 AM

Knock, knock....Is the tranny man in??

I've got an '89 Firebird Formula with the th700r4 and it's decided to crap out on me. In town it will seldem upshift to second gear, forcing me to drive 35 at 3500rpm. If I step on it, it will shift at redline through all the gears, and it feels fine but as soon as I slow down it downshifts way too much and I end up in 1st again. Any suggestions? Is this fixable or should I just be looking for a junkyard tranny to toss in the car? Oh, the engine is just the 305TBI with no mods, so it doesn't have crazy power or anything.

Thanks for any replys,
FrankieG
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 05:47 PM

Learned how to drive on stick, new truck is a stick, everything will always BE a stick. Just seems natural, more fun, etc.

That being said, I hope a lot of my friends drive autos...cause theyre much easier to drive when banged up from one injury or another...driving a manual with a 2nd degree AC shoulder separation was NOT fun!

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 06:10 PM

I prefer sticks, but when I leased my truck I got a better deal on one that had an automatic. I have since learned that when off road, an automatic trans is better at climbing hills, especially in the sand.
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankieG
Knock, knock....Is the tranny man in??

I've got an '89 Firebird Formula with the th700r4 and it's decided to crap out on me. In town it will seldem upshift to second gear, forcing me to drive 35 at 3500rpm. If I step on it, it will shift at redline through all the gears, and it feels fine but as soon as I slow down it downshifts way too much and I end up in 1st again. Any suggestions? Is this fixable or should I just be looking for a junkyard tranny to toss in the car? Oh, the engine is just the 305TBI with no mods, so it doesn't have crazy power or anything.

Thanks for any replys,
FrankieG
Try adjusting your TV cable by doing the following:

Have someone sit in the car and put the gas pedal on the floor. Press the release tab on the TV cable, and pull it tight as you can. Release the locking tab, let off the gas, and you're done. The TV Cable should now be at full pull at WOT.
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 08:30 PM

stick stick and always will drive stick....i dont like sitting there idle, when i drive an auto i always find myself reaching down to chg gears, but duh don't have to... the only auto i'd drive would be an SUV or a truck, but i'd have to have a car with a stick to balance it out, ya know?

i drive a vw golf
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to UndrTkrCd Send a message via Yahoo to UndrTkrCd
Cool I agree..kind of...

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!
Manuals transmissions are for Bike and Sports cars only IMO.

My truck is an Auto. and thats the easiest way to tow... I've tried using a stick on a slippery launch ramp and it SUCKS.
I prefer manual over auto any day, in a car. It doesn't have to be a high performance sport, just any car. Whether in the city or in highway traffic, I like to be in control of the gears. There have been several times, even in the Durango, when I've wanted/needed to downshift, but have had to wait for the auto to kick in at some critical times (weather, road conditions, passing etc.).

Manual on a bike goes without saying. But I do agree that auto on a truck is the best. Though it lags in acceleration a bit, for towing and slick ramps...you're right! Slippery launch ramps, and roll-backs on an incline in the mud, or ice/snow in traffic is definitely the WORST! I know it can happen in a car, as well, but (for me) cars are more responsive and more flexible than an SUV or truck. So....in a car? Gimme a stick! What's more fun than getting 4th gear scratch or clutchess shifting?? (Is there such thing as a "cage squid"? ) I'm sorry, but...manuals are FUN!!!

CD
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Re: I agree..kind of...

Quote:
Originally posted by UndrTkrCd

(Is there such thing as a "cage squid"? ) I'm sorry, but...manuals are FUN!!!
I prefer to call the "cage squid" a "ricer boy" because most of them tend to drive Honduhs and other such cheap imports. Just a tendancy, so no one gets all bent out of shape.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:39 PM

Automatic transmission? WTF is that?
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:40 PM

Damn, Neko....

right after we get done with this tranny conversation, the tranny in my dad's 96 GMC 3500 takes a dump. I think its the 700R4 tranny. Locked itself in 2nd. 1800 bucks to have it rebuilt. I'll take manual trans ANY DAY!!!! Auto trannys suck. They are so damn fragile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode