manual trans in your car/truck - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: do it yourself or couldn't be bothered trans in your cage
Nothing but sticks for me. You know they're a metaphor for manhood??? 78 78.79%
Automatics are the best, better dial-in's, easier in the city... 7 7.07%
i don't care. Whatever comes in the cage I want. 14 14.14%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:54 AM

5-speed is where it's at. It took me 3 months to find my current truck, a '97 Nissan Pathfinder with a V6 and 5-speed. I looked at new trucks, used trucks, it sems like no one makes or stocks manual shift trucks anymore.

I guess I just like being in control, shift when you want, hear the engine, work the pedals, throw the stick. Granted my truck ain't no sports-car, but it's so much more fun to drive with the manual compared to the automatic.

"Goat butts against hedge, and his horns become entangled."- Egg Shen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Quote:
perhaps you just don't know how to work a tranny
don't get me wrong, they are OK, but to go as far to say as the ever sturdy 700R4, then you must know something I do not.

Alright then Tranny Man, got a question for you. I have a recently rebuilt 700R4 sitting in my GTA. Don't really run it much but now it is not shifting the way it did when it was rebuilt. Is that from sitting?

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:15 AM

my dakota 5.9 r/t has an auto and my 74 vette has a 4-speed
I prefer the auto for everyday driving, love the 4 speed for cruising around in the vette, but i do a lot of drag racing with the vette and would like an auto for racing only.

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:27 AM

if you don't run your car much then yes your tranny bands and gaskets will dry out. I had my old t/a sitting for 2 years before we dropped an engine in her, the tranny was no good by that time.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Took it out of the T/A and now it is going in a '71 Nova. Need the overdrive so it can be driven on the highway(350 turbo int it now). 4.11 gears are not cutting it either. Eating up the motor.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:45 AM

I prefer manual transmissions as a rule, though if I'm towing a trailer with a pickup or van an auto gets the nod. Can't see myself ever buying a new car with an auto, no matter what it is.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:53 AM

I've got a Dakota with the 3.9L V6, and a manual Trans. I've done a little work on the motor, and that truck runs STRONG (always rips the motormounts out). I've driven the same truck with the auto trans, and it SUCKED. It wouldn't even break the rear end free around a corner. My truck can hang the back end out through 3 gears.
Neko, I can't understand how you think an auto trans is tougher then a manual. There are fewer moving parts in a manual, and no torque convertor (also called Power and fuel waster). I've never blown up a manual tranny (although, I broke the shiter arm outside the tranny), but I've killed more then a few auto trannys.

As far as Auto trans go, my personal favorite is the late 60's TH400 trans. I love the kick down button mounted on the gas pedal.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:09 AM

kevlar your not even compairing the same things, the 3.9l is a small engine so of coarse the auto will be slower, but if you have the 5.9 they will be more equal, and any fool can burn up tires using a stick, the autos are stronger and take more abuse then a stick will, they may have more parts but the torque converter cussions the driveline where a stick is locked in. also most cars not have locking tourque converters which means they get the same fuel economy as the sticks do. just because you haven't killed a stick yet doesn't mean they are stronger, I've blown many of both trannies through years of racing, a proper auto will always out last a stick when put to the test. the th400 is a strong tranny but other then track use its usless, they geared it way to tight for a long trip.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
kevlar your not even compairing the same things, the 3.9l is a small engine so of coarse the auto will be slower, but if you have the 5.9 they will be more equal, and any fool can burn up tires using a stick, the autos are stronger and take more abuse then a stick will, they may have more parts but the torque converter cussions the driveline where a stick is locked in. also most cars not have locking tourque converters which means they get the same fuel economy as the sticks do. just because you haven't killed a stick yet doesn't mean they are stronger, I've blown many of both trannies through years of racing, a proper auto will always out last a stick when put to the test. the th400 is a strong tranny but other then track use its usless, they geared it way to tight for a long trip.
i'm with neko on this (and i don't really like autos). the only thing i know of that can't tow more with an automatic (lt-wise) is the dogde cummins turbo diesel. and that may have changed.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
for me it depends on the car, like my 87 trans am, guys always want a stick but you gotta be stupid to want one in this car, the t-5 tranny is a piece of crap that blows up under any pressure, so I went for the ever sturdy 700r4 automatic. also in a pick-up truck, they have never made a stick that can handle the load that and automatic can. my friend just rebuilt his dodge 2500's tranny for the second time, I told him get an auto. I do like sticks better though.
700R4 sturdy?!?!? Bwahahahahaha! I blew up 5 of 'em in my old Corvette. They don't hold up well when you put any kind of power to 'em.

BTW- My new '02 Vette has a ZF-6 speed in it. The Vettes use ZF trannies, not T-56's. F-Bodies use the T-56's.

Last edited by Mojo; 09-27-2002 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode