I need a car what should I get? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I need a car what should I get?

Well Its time to upgrade to 4 wheels.
*im keeping the bike, but I need a roof as winter is coming*

Earlier this year I was all set to go and buy either a c230 or a honda s2000 then I crashed my bike, and got a new one, started going to track days etc.

So here I am months later, really no money to put down, and have decided to go "cheaper" on the car for now so I can afford many track days next summer.

Im thinkin of spending like 8-10,000 I want NOTHING american made. Either a truck, or car w/ cheap trailer.

Suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 06:37 PM

Nissan Pick-up. Had mine since '95 and not a single problem so far. 140k miles as of now.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 06:42 PM

Sorry but the Nissan trucks are F U G L Y!!

Get either a Honda or Toyota, you cant go wrong.

They hold their value and are reliable as you could hope for.

Maybe a Tacoma so you can carry your bike to the track days?....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 07:01 PM

Toyota's are reliable.

I just sold my Camry, had it for 3 years and not a damn problem with it. Toyota's are a very reliable easy going momo car.

Lates,
Onyx
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 07:18 PM

I vote Toyota Pickup. You don't like american, but the Dodge Dakota pickups are very very nice (I have one). They are bigger then the toyota or the Nissan, have a better engine package, and are a little better looking.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:19 PM

I believe he said $8-10,000. That eliminates ANY Toyota pick-up made in the past few years. Our local Nissan dealership had regular cab Nissans for $10.5k, whereas an equally equipped Toyota will run Just under $14. The same price as most regular cab full sized trucks.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:28 PM

Thumbs up Nissan

I almost hate to say (type) that, but this is the opinion I have formed from working with guys of all ages (most all drive trucks) throughout the last 20 years and 2 professions. The jap truck/car/BIKE reliability and longevity speaks for itself. Pesonally, I drive a full size (3/4 ton) Dodge and agree that the Nissans needs a cosmetic makeover but, at your age, (I can say that, I'm old and you put your b-date in your profile!!) and all you want to spend is $8k-$10k you need to consider function and reliability before flash. The newer the better. Toyotas are great also (I have owned two over the years) but they seemed to be underpowered compared to the Nissans dollar for dollar. I do not know much about Honda trucks, but I know the cars are great but, are waaaayyyy pricey, I can only guess the trucks/ SUVs are the same but only more so. Just my .02 , no offense intended toward anyone, but as always counter opinions and flaming welcome.

good luck
Dave

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an a$$hole when I see one.

Life is too LONG not to have fun!!!!

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 09:06 PM

Quote:
You don't like american, but the Dodge Dakota pickups are very very nice (I have one).
I second that....i have a '98 dakota 5.9 r/t

(picture too big)

Last edited by HondaNut!; 09-27-2002 at 07:31 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 09:20 PM

Why is everyone talking TRUCK when a car is less in money?

I would look for a hatchback or 4 door (when it comes to insurance then a 2 door will be costly as some look upon that as a SPORT car). Probably some good buys out there in the early 90s with not a great deal of milage & probably some minor fender-benders or patched up ones. Look at the Nissan, Toyoto or if you have Mazda in your area, then look at them as well.
Problem with an older non-American truck is you are paying the extra for TRUCK & in those days so many were with small boxes & you cannot stuff a sporsbike in the rear. I have measured my 4X4 Mazda truck & I could not stuff the 600 in it, let alone the 929. So look around for a CAR. For you are looking for four wheel transportation & to 'ell with appearances, speed, etc. You just want it to get you from A to B & back again, in the winter months, & not break down.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 06:13 AM

Last Nov. I bought an 81 GMC Sierra long bed pickup truck for $3500. V-8 with 4 in the floor. Not a ton of power but not to bad. I can pack all of my racing/track crap and bike in the back and head to the track. The truck is comfortable and actually rides pretty good. It is due for a new clutch and would hurt to have a new carb but not to bad.

My 91 Nissan Pickup was getting to old(~250,000 miles).

Wife just traded the Nissan for a 2001 Nissan Sentra and paid around 10K for it. That is really a nice driving/riding car too.

We still have the 95 Jeep Wrangler with about 160K miles on it. I'll sell it for well below $11K... ya want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode