Ford Sucks!!!!!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Angry Ford Sucks!!!!!!!!

Well, I just returned home from an interesting day. I dropped my 1999 Ford Mustang GT off at a dealership here in St. Louis to get new brakes, new tires, powersteering fluid flush, and an oil change. Well, about an hour later, I recieved a call from them saying that, and I quote, "sir, the oil pan bolt on your car is stripped, we can't get it out, and the only way to remove the oil pan would be to remove your engine. The price of that will be $1,900.00 " As you can imagine, my jaw hit the floor!! I told them that I was not leaking oil before I dropped my car off to them, so why in the hell am I leaking oil now. Again, I was not having any problems before I dropped my car off, so do you think it is possible that your mechanic stripped the bolt when trying to take it off? Thier reply was, "sir, we noticed that the bolt on the oil pan is not factory, and Valvoline must have put it on there" Anyway, they said there is nothing they could do unless I authorize them to remove the engine, replace the oil pan, and reinstall the engine. F)UCK THAT!!!!! I called Valvoline and the manager was very cool. He came up to the dealership to see what was going on. He whispered to me, "these guys are full of shit", and said that he would take the car back to his shop and see what he could do. Well, I was very pissed off, and I said, "whatever, all I know is that I am not paying for anything" He said he completely understands, apologized for the person who put the wrong bolt in, and said he would see what he could do. He said that if he could not get the bolt out, he would rent me a car, and pay for ALL expenses associated with repairing the oil pan.
As soon as we arrived at his Valvoline store, he went to work on the bolt. I swear, it took him all of 2 minutes to get the stripped bolt off. He replaced the bolt with the proper sized bolt, AND gave me a free oil change.
Now, I understand that Ford did not put the wrong sized oil pan bolt in my Mustang, but they did not even try to find other solutions to remedy the problem. In so many words they just said, "$2,000.00, take it or leave it." Maybe it's just me, but if businesses truely cared about it's customers, they would try to at least work with the customer to find the best possible solution to any problems. But, that would only happen in a perfect world. Businesses really are concerned about making money only. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. But, how much money will they realistically make if customers stop patronizing their business? I know I am only a small "pea" when compared to the amount of customers they serve, but I GUARANTEE I will NEVER set foot in their dealership again!!!!! I would rather eat cat shit with a knitting needle

So, again, FORD sucks! I should have known what to expect after my power steering stopped working two days after I bought that damn car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 07:43 PM

A guy in Reno got ripped at a dealership and took a page from Jesse Jackson...he hired picketers.

Really, the guy hired a few people on a per day basis to picket the dealership. A local tv station picked it up and made the dealership personnel really uncomfortable. I figure the guy paid about $50 a day per picketer and cost the dealership tens of thousands of dollars in lost sales. I understand that he told the dealership to f&%$!off when they tried to placate him after the pickets started. He told them they should have thought of that earlier. Wrong guy to screw with indeed!

Just food for thought

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe
A guy in Reno got ripped at a dealership and took a page from Jesse Jackson...he hired picketers.

Really, the guy hired a few people on a per day basis to picket the dealership. A local tv station picked it up and made the dealership personnel really uncomfortable. I figure the guy paid about $50 a day per picketer and cost the dealership tens of thousands of dollars in lost sales. I understand that he told the dealership to f&%$!off when they tried to placate him after the pickets started. He told them they should have thought of that earlier. Wrong guy to screw with indeed!

Just food for thought
Well, if the guy in Reno really did get ripped, I think he did the right thing by picketing. In my case, I never had any problems with this dealership prior to yesterday. I took my car there for ALL services outside of oil changes. Hell, I even recommended my fiance to them when her car needed service. (she went in to have her cooling system flushed for $89.00, but got a call about 2 hours later saying that it would be $4,000 for a new engine Funny thing is, she got a call from a Salesman, NOT the mechanic. Of course, she freaked out about her engine and traded it in for one of their 2002 Focus'. Women )
Man, you guys really had to be their to understand my frustration. One little bolt was about to cost me $1,900.00 + the cost of my original service $1,255.00 I am kinda glad they called me and gave me that ridiculous price. If they would have called and said the price would only be $200 or so, I probably would have told them over the phone to go ahead and fix it. But after going up there to look at the problem for myself, there was no way in hell I was going to pay for anything. True, the bolt was stripped. But, all the dealerships mechanic had to do was TRY. They were so anxious to sticke me with a $1,900 service bill, that they did not even try to get the bolt out. (it couldnt' have been too stripped because the guy at Valvoline got the bolt out in a matter of seconds) This situation has been a learning experience for me. I always thought new cars should be taken to the dealership for service. WRONG!!! Any vehicle, should be taken to ANYONE who is capable of fixing problems. I now beleive that dealerships are not concerned about fixing problems, but lying to customers to get as much money as they possibly can

Oh well, I guess that's just life. But, the only way this dealership was going to get that much money from me would be to pry it from my cold, lifeless, dead fingers with the kung-fu grip I need that cash to pick up my new 2002 R1

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 02:27 PM

Quote:
she went in to have her cooling system flushed for $89.00, but got a call about 2 hours later saying that it would be $4,000 for a new engine Funny thing is, she got a call from a Salesman, NOT the mechanic. Of course, she freaked out about her engine and traded it in for one of their 2002 Focus'. Women )
I guess that was a pretty good clue about the lack of ethics at that agency.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 01:33 AM

i think alot of it has too do with the company and the stealerships themselves not the cars. i was reading in the usa today about how some guy in congress is trying to pass a bill that will force auto makers to hand over the trouble codes for new cars with onboard computers to independent mechanics cause it is really hurting there business not being able to work on newer cars. All stealerships are the same they sell you a car then they make you use there stuff or it voids the warrenty wich i think is crap. try owning a buell and having to take it too a harley stealership and get into an argument about not wanting my oil changed cause i use a diferent oil not the HD oil that they recomend....just another way for big corporations to dig in our pockets.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 02:01 AM

Ford is not the only vehicle that sucks. I bought my wife a new Jeep Cherokee and when she drove it to the grocery store. She noticed that there was a little smoke coming from the vents of the jeep she just figured it was something wrong eith the A/C because we had that happen before with a different vehicle. So she goes to the phone in the store and calls me and tells me this. I tell her i will be wright there to trade vehicles with her since iam only 2 miles from store.So as i am driving to the store and i see a big cloud of smoke coming from near store. Here iam thinking there is a big fire coming from some place. Well go mfigure I pull onto the store lot and relize that this big ass fire is my vehicle.By this time there is nothing left of my wife,s vehicle. Now let me tell you my friends if i had not been a stable person i would have gone postal on those idiots at the dealeship where i brought it. And thats a whole different story. but Iam sure you all get the picture.So i feel your pain bro
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 06:07 AM

Thumbs down Don't think I'll ever buy another Ford

Carried my Ford into the dealer to fix a malfunctioning central locking system. Hated to do it, but all the honest, independent mechanics I know didn't wanna touch the electrical system-been my experience a lot of competent mechanics are lost when it comes to electrical systems.
Anywho...dropped the car off, told the gal at the service desk it acted like a relay/contact going bad (I'm an industrial electrical troubleshooter by trade). Get a call later saying $180 to fix the car-said it was the door switch. Didn't really believe it, and balked, but told 'em to do it. Get a call back 'bout an hour later, and now it needs a central locking system relay (surprise!). Now the total is $300! Realizing he's not troubleshooting, but just replacing parts, I told 'em not to touch it, I'd fix it myself (so much for trying to free up some of my time, and paying the Ford dealer for their 'expertise')!
Pick the car up, charged $180. When asked for what, I was told they fixed it. Headed out to check the car with the 'mechanic' in tow. To my surprise, it worked! He told me he wasn't going to take the part out after they installed it (didn't know if he was talking 'bout the door switch or relay), so they gave it to me (door switch or relay?). After a week, doing the same thing!
Broke out the electrical schematic in my repair manual, traced out and located the defective relay, called a junkyard, and picked up one for $10. Total time invested-1 hour. Total cost-$10. Six months later, still working.
Went back to the dealer and complained, getting the runaround (you told us not to touch the car)! Yeah...well what did I pay $180 for? Ummm, ahhhh, errrr...
AHes wouldnt refund my money, complained to Ford corporate HQ (if you have a fraud problem, it's between you and the dealer!), and was going through the state when I dropped it. Figured it wasn't going to be worth $180 of my time (although it's not really 'bout the money at this point), and state agencies are notorious for being on the side of business.
Just chalked it up to experience. Wont set foot on this Ford dealership again unless Im just looking (when the salesmen hits on me, Im gonna tell him in pretty colorful language why Ill never spend another dollar at their joint again). Based on Ford HQs pathetic response bout one of their shyster dealers, doubt Ill ever buy a Ford again.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Re: Don't think I'll ever buy another Ford

Quote:
Originally posted by basicblur
Based on Ford HQ?s pathetic response ?bout one of their shyster dealers, doubt I?ll ever buy a Ford again.
Well, my next step as just been shot down I was going to write a letter to the president of that particular dealership AND Ford HQ, but frankly, I don't want to waste anymore of my time. I will just spend my time and energy writing a letter to Valvoline and compliment the store manager who fixed my problems, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!
As for not buying another Ford, I made that decision 2 days after I bought my brand spankin' new Mustang from a different Ford dealership. Power-steering went out, they told me 2 weeks because they could not find a replacement seal. (eventually found one at AutoZone for 69 cents) Hmmmm, I wonder if I ever have another problem with my power-steering if I would get hassled because the seal is not "factory" Anyway, my point is, I should have purchased another Nissan. After 75,000 miles, the only thing to break on my Altima was ONE of the windshield wiper blades. 30 minutes, and $15 later, problem fixed!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 10:53 AM

Thumbs down

I'm glad to hear ya got it fixed right, but that's bullshit what they did... "here's the price, take it or leave it" Screw them.
My mother just had to pay 1,200 to have a cam sensor changed in her olds. GM sucks that way, too.

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 05:06 PM

Re: Re: Don't think I'll ever buy another Ford

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveMyR6

Well, my next step as just been shot down I was going to write a letter to the president of that particular dealership AND Ford HQ, but frankly, I don't want to waste anymore of my time. I will just spend my time and energy writing a letter to Valvoline and compliment the store manager who fixed my problems, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!
As for not buying another Ford, I made that decision 2 days after I bought my brand spankin' new Mustang from a different Ford dealership. Power-steering went out, they told me 2 weeks because they could not find a replacement seal. (eventually found one at AutoZone for 69 cents) Hmmmm, I wonder if I ever have another problem with my power-steering if I would get hassled because the seal is not "factory" Anyway, my point is, I should have purchased another Nissan. After 75,000 miles, the only thing to break on my Altima was ONE of the windshield wiper blades. 30 minutes, and $15 later, problem fixed!
Write the nasty letter, in a nice way of course, and send it to Ford anyway. I had a pretty crappy purchasing experience with Honda when I bought my Prelude a few years ago. My fault for letting the deal go down, but the customer service displayed by the entire chain of command at the dealership was severely lacking. So I fired off a thoughtful, honest letter to both the dealership and Honda corporate. I had phone calls from both within a few days, though corporate told me it was between myself and the individual dealership. Honda of Fife (WA) tried to bend over backward to help, but I told them politely that it was too late and I wouldn't visit them again and I wasn't going to recommend them to anyone. In any case, it was nice to vent. And the finance dude was subsequently fired; apparently I wasn't the only person he had lied to and been rude with.

Most companies take those letters pretty seriously, since they figure for every letter they receive, there are probably a dozen or so more people that never got around to writing.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode