Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 12:16 AM

I always thought it was
F ound O n R oad D ead
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 12:19 AM

........ Fix Or Repair Daily . . .

...F***ing Old Recycled Dodge . . .

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 01:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Smile Some Helpful Information

It may help that when problems with any company arise to go an entirely different direction. Customer(NO)Service is not even on my list of places to go. Alot of times what you are told is customer service turns out to be a third party company contracted out by the business in question to just answer telephones and have absolutely no authority to help the customer. In my dealings with the corporate world I have always found it helpful to go to the business's web site, look up investor relations to see who the corporate officers are, send a letter(certified return receipt requested addressee only through the postal service) to the vice president in charge of customer relations or some one in a similar post. This usually gets the job done and one can then avoid the flunkies at customer(NO) service. Just kind advice from an experienced individual as pertaining to receiving unsatisfactory service from several businesses.

BTW, for all you kids who grew up in the 70's when Ford had problems with their transmissions slipping into reverse when parked, could Ford also mean: Forward Or Reverse Drive

Last edited by ga_skyline_rydr; 07-06-2002 at 01:32 AM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 04:12 AM

Sounds like you have a problem with the dealership not Ford....
As far as the jeep on fire .....well that would be he Jeep not the dealership......1,800 cam sensor on an OLDS dude either there is more to that story or you got f**cked by the dealer.
while Ford does make shit they are right .....they don't police there dealerships ,unless it is a warranty repair it is between you and them.
Yes I do work for a Dealer......yes alot of there pratices suck shit....everyone is always looking for the almighty buck and not only in this field.....I would say your only hope would if you had a friend that worked there or were at least personable with.

Sounds like your Vavoline guy is the one who screwed the car up in the first place. which because most of the guys there are kids not mechanics.there is a reason the can do oil changes so cheap you know.
The dealership was doing what they do best they were going to fix it the proper way by putting an oil pan in it.
there are alternatives one was using a helicoil which I have done it works but most dealers what do it because they have to stand behind it.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by honestlyinsane

Sounds like your Vavoline guy is the one who screwed the car up in the first place. which because most of the guys there are kids not mechanics.there is a reason the can do oil changes so cheap you know.
The dealership was doing what they do best they were going to fix it the proper way by putting an oil pan in it.
there are alternatives one was using a helicoil which I have done it works but most dealers what do it because they have to stand behind it.
Ok, explain this to me then. Why was the "kid" able to get the stripped bolt off when the "mechanic" said he could not get it off? Also, you say Ford was going to fix it the "proper" way, well, THE OIL PAN WAS NOT DAMAGED, ONE THREAD OF THE BOLT WAS STRIPPED, THEREFORE, THE BOLT WOULD STOP BACKING OUT WHEN IT REACHED THE STRIPPED PORTION OF THE BOLT! There was no damage to the oil pan.
Every business tries to do the job right the first time because EVERY business has to stand behind their work. (in theory) But, that is not what I am complaining about. If a job really did cost that much to fix, no problem. But, nothing was wrong with my car when I brought it in, i.e. leaking oil, so one of the Ford "mechanics" must have stripped the screw while taking it out, who knows But of course, Ford did not stand behind their "mechanic" and immediatedly passed the problem off as someone elses mistake. Of course, they would have loved to replace the oil pan (which was not damaged) and put in a new bolt ($3.00) for a great deal of $1,900 + tax + parts...........I say again, F(UCK THAT!!!! The "kids" fixed the problem and changed my oil, FREE!
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 04:58 AM

So if say in another couple of oil changes the threads completely rip out what would you say then.
I am not saying that was the only way to fix it..... I did say you can heli-coil it.....but most dealers wont do that .
They guy who fixed your threads is he the only guy that works on the car or is he the service manager ?
I also thought you said the wrong drain plug was installed.....who did that valvoline or the dealer.
not picking a fight I am glad you were smart enough to second guess the dealer.It worked out in your situation.
Its not a manafucter problem it is dealer problem.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 05:01 AM

by the way if the bolt was stripped and is kinda impossible for nothing to be wrong with pan threads.There may have been enough there to thread in a new bolt but that doesnt them make them ok.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by honestlyinsane
by the way if the bolt was stripped and is kinda impossible for nothing to be wrong with pan threads.There may have been enough there to thread in a new bolt but that doesnt them make them ok.
The manager of Valvoline invited me to come below into the pit to watch him take out the bolt. After the bolt was out, I examined the oil pan threads, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. The new bolt screwed in, out, in, out, in, and out again very smoothly!! If the oil pan threads where damaged in the least bit, screwing the new bolt in would not be that easy. Oh, and 3 days later, still NO OIL LEAK!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveMyR6
Ok, explain this to me then. Why was the "kid" able to get the stripped bolt off when the "mechanic" said he could not get it off? Also, you say Ford was going to fix it the "proper" way, well, THE OIL PAN WAS NOT DAMAGED, ONE THREAD OF THE BOLT WAS STRIPPED, THEREFORE, THE BOLT WOULD STOP BACKING OUT WHEN IT REACHED THE STRIPPED PORTION OF THE BOLT! There was no damage to the oil pan.
Every business tries to do the job right the first time because EVERY business has to stand behind their work. (in theory) But, that is not what I am complaining about. If a job really did cost that much to fix, no problem. But, nothing was wrong with my car when I brought it in, i.e. leaking oil, so one of the Ford "mechanics" must have stripped the screw while taking it out, who knows But of course, Ford did not stand behind their "mechanic" and immediatedly passed the problem off as someone elses mistake. Of course, they would have loved to replace the oil pan (which was not damaged) and put in a new bolt ($3.00) for a great deal of $1,900 + tax + parts...........I say again, F(UCK THAT!!!! The "kids" fixed the problem and changed my oil, FREE!
Slow down slugger.... was the bolt stripped or the oil pan stripped? It's a rare occurrence for the bolt to strip, and it's impossible for it to strip the threads off the bolt while <i>loosening</i> the plug. The damage in either case had to have occurred when the tech at Valvoline installed the drain plug. True, the tech at the dealership may not have exhausted all his resources to remove the stripped plug, but, in his defense, I may have made the same call myself. The only way I know of to remove a drain plug that won't come out is to drop the pan and drill it out. In modern cars, that's not so simple to do. Are there other alternatives? sure. Did the tech exhaust all of them? no. Maybe he was looking for work? Possibly. (They are paid in part by the job)

Now, the way Valvoline may have repaired it is by using a self-tapping oversized drain plug. If used properly, it can work just fine for the life of the vehicle.

The solution in any case is to properly torque the oil drain pan bolt to the proper spec. The old German torque spec of goot-en-tight is what causes these types of problems.

When it's all said and done, what do you want the dealership to do now? You disagreed with their diagnosis, but it's your word against theirs as to when exactly the damage occurred. You'll never win that battle. They offered one course of action (which you rightly refused) and you sought out another means of repair (and that's a smart thing to do). They are bound by their "book" of labor costs, and that's what their opinion was of the best way to repair it. You're free to disagree with them. (I know I have on more than a few occasions)

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode