Sport-touring Tires - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by VFour800
I've got the Roads on my VFR and have put 2700 miles on since November. They work great in the cold and rain so far. Based on remaining tread depth I expect to get around 7000 miles out of the rear.
UPDATE: I got 5137 and 5407 miles out of two Road rear tires. I don't think they were balance properly and should have lasted a bit longer. One front lasted through both rears.

I have since changed to Avon 45/46ST's. The first rear only lasted 4264 and again I don't think the shop is balancing them correctly. I have 2420 on the second rear and it seems to be wearing more evening around the circumference of the tire. May get over 5000 miles with this one. The front will last until the 2nd rear is done.

I like both the Road and Avons. The tread patterns all seem to prevent cupping very well. I think both are excellent sport-touring tires. I ride year 'round in N. Georgia and have not had issues in rain or cold. You have to adjust your riding style for rain and cold with any tire. I think people who complain about wet/cold performance are unable or unwilling to adjust their riding to suit the conditions.

Mark Zeilenga
Georgia
2000 VFR800Fi (Pearl Yellow)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 06:50 PM

pilot roads

Just had michelin pilot roads installed on my 99 katana. and wow what a difference over the macadam 100x. VERY nice tires. very nice feeling tire in the corners. Strangely enough the shop changed the rear from what i had (150/70zr17) to 160/60zr17) now i was worried about handling and whatnot when they told me what they did but damn im liking it. the bike seems very responsive to input now. i am not saying that everyone should try it but it worked for my bike. usually i hear that messing with tire size can really mess up your bikes rideability. but the bikeshop gave me a satisfaction guarantee. and yep im satisfied. we shall see what the summer brings!

****UN-BE-FREAKIN_LEIVABLE!****
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 03:12 PM

Thumbs up

i just orderd some shinkos from azmotorsport for 129. shipped raven 009 i hear lots of good about theim that their used to be yokahma. i did my homework on them. going on my gsf 600 bandit and replacing the avon 45/46. best deal i could find and people on the bandit alley forum claim they last just as long or longer than some name brands and if you go with the racing tires they are super sticky im going with the sport tourings 009s. well good luck p.s thats includes the front 120/60 and the back 160/60

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 05:16 PM

My short answer: I've had both, got 11k with both. The Avons turn in quicker, the Roads feel more stable(to me),ie, turn in slower. Both great tires.

Matt

Helmet laws suck!.....
They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
(Sarchi)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:09 PM

Vfour800,
Which tires do you like better, the Michelins or Avons? I am currently running Pirelli Diablo Stradas which I love but would like to try a few different brands to find out what I like the best. If you haven't tried the Stradas I highly recommend them!

Living the Dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode