long distance sport touring - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to fracl
long distance sport touring

Hey, guys:
Anyone here like 'goin yonder' on a sportstandard, or modified version thereof? I set up a GS650M Katana back in 83 with full fairing, bags, trunk and Corbin tour seat--and had a blast with it! Course, nobody knew quite what it WAS, neither fish nor fowl, but I put 168,000 miles on the sucker, and won a fair share of trophies on the rally circuit. Did the same treatment to a VX800, and now have begun transmogrifyng a 1200 Bandit.

I want the best of both worlds: sportbike looks and performance, touring comfort, reliability and carrying capacity. Greedy pig, ain't I?

Anyone else interested in this particular/peculiar niche?

...not all who wander are lost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to hellsnat Send a message via Yahoo to hellsnat
Hey, I did a 7957 mile jaunt on my 2002 CBR954RR. With a tank bag, it's all good. Just lay down and enjoy the ride.

Detroit to California and back.

Honestly I can't think that any bike would be better. That is after I had my seat made by Corbin in California. You have to pull over about every 120 miles. Nothing to it.

Good luck buddy
Matt

"If ignorance is bliss, why arn't there more happy people?"

Moderator of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:21 PM

theres the whole IBA thing and then there are some smaller clubs that do high speed open road St'ing, I more prefer getting somewhere without too many speeding tickets and avoiding the bad times of day through cities and towns, and taking decent sized stops at interesting places,

there are some towns though that I consider a long stopover at enough time to top up the tank, and it sucks that in the US there are so many speedtraps because at 120 you make much better time than at 60-70, which I found out on my trip to and from NewFoundland where from the Maine border to the top of NF I didn't see a single speedtrap, where in New England I saw one about every twenty minutes.

I'd say 600 mile days are enough for leaving some non riding time and leaves only one stop during riding to fill up the tank on my ST1100, although there are those places where there is nothing to do but put in that extra tank and hope you can find an OK place to rest for the night,

One of these days I would like to try the NY to SF coast to coast run, but I think I will need to have some modifications done first

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 02:21 PM
Old Guy

Cool GSXR1000

I've toured on a 600r Ninja (58k miles), gsxr750, now a gsxr1000. Lean is where it's at for me, even though my packing can get a little out of hand if I'm camping.
Too bad work and family keeps me down to only 1 or 2 weeks out of the year.
No mods other than a double-bubble.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:51 PM

I love to travel on my zrx. a corbin seat and a zero gravity shield are the only modifications. use a tank bag, a rear pack and/or p-38 saddle bags for luggage. I belong to the HSTA, most of the people I ride with also travel on sportbikes. I am planning on buying a used Concours for two-up travel with my wife. I really love heading down to the Smokey Mtns or North Ga. I'm planning on doing a saddle sore 1000 this spring on rex. Got to put some more miles on it..only got 24000 in it.

patrick
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:06 PM

I do quite a bit of long distance riding including some Iron Butt stuff. Did the 100CCC, San Diego to Jacksonville and back to San Diego in under 100 hours on the V-Strom last May. Then turned around and did a Pacific coast and Canadian Rockies vacation on that bike. Over 20,000 miles in 8 months on the Strom plus 10,000 miles in 4 months on the FJR. Hope to get a Saddlesore 1000 in on the 954RR before the end of the year. Both the FJR and V-Strom are easy to do 600 to 1,000 mile days on.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 05:15 PM

Sport Touring on a Suzuki

Good to see this discussion going.
In 2001 my wife and I shipped our Katana 1100 ( 93) to Ontario from Alberta ( 3300 kms one way) and then flew, uncrated the bike and did eastern Canada and the New England States on it then shipped it back.

6500 kms in 3 1/2 weeks.

in 2002 we did a trip to Montana's Hiway to the Sun then a Northern Idaho thru to Wyoming trip then back thru Montana. No I shouldn't tell you about the trip becuase I want these unbelieveable roads all to myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode