St1300 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

St1300

So now that the ST1300 is finally arriving at dealers has anyone had a chance to check one out? Or better yet buy one? I got to sit on one and although my knees hit the faring in the lowest seat position I think it will be better for two up than the FJR, I guess that is no surprise. A bit top heavy compared to the FJR but not bad.

96 Bimota DB3 Mantra
05 Benelli Tre
07 MG Griso
07 MG Norge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 09:11 PM

It looks like it could be a promising bike, but there are some things that weren't done that would have made it an improvement over the current model, a sixth gear would be nice for the highway, the Concours has one and I don't care if it doesn't need it, but I would like to have the rpm's low on the highway when I am cruising, I can always downshift once or twice to pass, also they lowered the gearing a bit so the ST1100 will have lower cruising rpm's than the 1300, which seems a bit backwards seeing as they added displacement so it should be able to pull taller gearing, they also raised the compression which isn't in itself bad but it means that you should use premium gas, even though they say the knock sensor should help if you are forced to use 87, and it could have lost alot more weight,

are the models in the showrooms fitted with stereos? that is one thing I would like to have on my bike,
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 04:34 AM

I rode one last Saturday (11/30) and liked it. My ST1100 was in for the 24k service and the dealer just got the 1300 in and let me ride it. The weather was chilly (26F) and I rode only 10 miles. Didn't push it at all due to new, cold tires. I am going to try the ABS unit as soon as the snow clears (by Saturday, with a little luck) to see how the adjustable windscreen does. If it is as I hope, I'm trading up.

Glockboy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 12:47 PM

Well Glockboy, ya better start saving up cause I have an ABS model and the windscreen is awsome! In the "All the way up" position I ride with my faceshield up on the freeway and there is NO wind. You could easily light a cigarette.

Ride Red !
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 11:27 AM

ABS or not to ABS? That's the question

On the Honda ST1300, the ABS model comes with the electronically adjusted windscreen. My decision between the bikes (ABS vs. Non) is really based on this. Will the manually adjusted windscreen be able to provide the same 'still air pocket' around the passengers as well as the electronically adjustable one? I understand the manual windscreen does not have the range, but if the adjustability it has can build a nice pocket, then I might go that way. Can you give me any advice?

Carpe Diem!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 07:15 AM

If having an air pocket is important to you. I would strongly suggest getting the ABS model. It needs to be in the highest position to create the perverbial cocoon around the rider. Also, if you do want to do a little canyon carving, you have to lower the windshield for sharper turning inputs.

Ride Red !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

I agree with Nedro on the power screen. The one on the FJR is less of a gimmick than I thought it would be. Comes in very handy based on the type of riding/road.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rodm850g
ST1300

Guys,
I picked me one up last June,and have enjoyd it,w/shield does keep you out of the wind. I have to admit though the flow of wind that comes by you if you take your hand off the bar for a second is a bit...I installed a set of over the miror deflectors on mine from
the Calsci.com site and that has made a lot of difference. Its a bit top heavy,but keep it ip straight and no problems...
Great two up, we went toVIR for the last Lightening Nationals and was a great ride, all thrre bags full of stuff and ran 75-80ish and returned 42-45 mpg. I do wish Honda supported the bike with a full range of the accessories that are available in Europe...
radio, top box and all that goes with it. Had to wait a bit to get mine but was worth thte wait..... I have been some 5k miles replaced one tire....had a bit of tread but was worth replacing...bike worth more than a mileage brag...got good wear not a lot of "chicken strip" on the tire...afraid I'm gonna drag the bags.....well somebody elses opinion....

Rodm850g

damn all this talking/typing crap I'm going riding...
which one
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 AM

Got myself one last year and have done more than 68,000kms on it and cannot fault it ...oK maybe a 6th gear would be the ultimate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode