Katana 600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I have been checking out this site for a while, and no one has said anything about the Katana. I am looking at all bikes but, I would like to hear any opinions anyone has on these. Any opinion on the Katana 600 would be much appreciated. Thanks.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 05:18 PM

Heh heh, there's been plenty of Katana "discussions", it's just that they've been deleted after turning into flamefests.
My opinion? There's nothing horribly wrong with them, there's just lots better choices. In their heyday (mid-late 80's) they were great, but the new ones are just the same old-tech bikes wrapped in hideous new plastic.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 02:31 AM

I've riden one, and personally I think they're just horrible. There is something about the way that they steer that is just not right.

I don't really like the engine either - it's got a bit of balls down low (which is strange) and doesn't like being anywhere in the vincinity of the redline. Not exactly inspiring.

Just my opinions of course. You may ride it and love it. I much prefer the CBR. They're worth the extra money!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 12:22 PM

Katanas are pretty nice bikes, however, you wont hear that at SBW too much, and most of the guys here hate them.

They are extremely comfortable over distance (CBR's, ZX's arent even close in this area), have good touring range, and handle exceptionally well. They arent the most powerful bike out there, but they are still quite fast, and will get you into trouble just as easily. Kat's are easy to modify, as there are a bazillion 'go-fast' parts available, and they are easy to work on.

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
They are extremely comfortable over distance (CBR's, ZX's arent even close in this area),
I'd have to disagree with you there. I found my CBR600 to be every bit as comfy as the Kat. Okay, the CBR6 may be an exception - no doubt the CBR929 is not anywhere near as comfortable.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 10:05 PM

Well Blackbird, I dont know what to tell ya.....

After riding 2 hours on an F4, my back and legs were killing me. After 3 hours on a Kat' , I'm only a little stiff. The ergos are much better on the Kat, for reach, seat height, and leg room.... At least for a 6' tall rider.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 11:54 PM

Thats because they are a more sport touring bike rather than a "sport" or "super sport" bike. Suzuki's contender into this field is GSXR 600.

People may disagree, but the Katana (GSXF) is more like a VFR than a CBR. If you know going into it that they are not a sportbike but rahter a touring bike, they do alright.

Long distance on the GSXR, R6 or to a bit lesser of an extent CBRF4i will have you both singing high notes and needing a good massage while the Katana will be more doable.

When trying to compare them on a track or a canyon, thats a different story. Its like comapring a standard 2 door coupe to a 911.

Know what you are looking at before you try and compare them.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:19 AM

Quote:
After riding 2 hours on an F4, my back and legs were killing me.
The F4 probably has less forgiving ergo's than its ancestor the f3
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:22 PM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Katanas are pretty nice bikes, however, you wont hear that at SBW too much, and most of the guys here hate them.
We don't hate them, I had a deposit on a 00 Katana 750 ... Then Quickly sobered up ... JUST KIDDING !! Very cool bikes ! Like a VFR but cheaper.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 02:18 PM

Katana 600

I own a 2001 Kat6 and find it very fulfilling. In my case, I couldn't afford alot of money but wanted something new to ride. For the price you can't really beat the Katana, but that is my opinion. Not only that, but the plastic looks great compared to the Katana's of yesterday. I get compliments every where I go by other riders and nonriders. Performance, well, that is something you are going to have to work on yourself. Off the showroom floor, the Kat is only pushing 80 horses and that is probably a forgiving number, again in my opinion. Never fear though it is an easy bike to add to. There are nonessentials that you can discard to lighten up this gangly beast(458 dry) and performance parts everywhere to give you some added horsepower. I've got good plans for mine.
In all I think that the Katana is a good bike for those of us who have been away from the road for awhile or the fairly new rider on the street. Oh yeah, it is pretty easy on my back too! Good ergos for a sport/tour. Good luck and endless waves!

Last edited by endleswavz; 07-26-2001 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode