VTX Question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

OK guys, I'm brand new here and I know that this isn't "Cruiseworld". However, this seems (for the most part) the most intelligent, open-minded forum out there. My question is this. Is the VTX worth it? I know it won't keep up with so and so's Ducati, or Such and Such's R1, but that's not what concerns me. I have a Harley Sportster that, contrary to other Sportster owners in here, does not have 112 hp and 145 ft. lb. of torque. I think it may have 58 HP. Quite frankly, that's just not enough. I'm not looking for something to keep up with Sport Bikes, however, I do want decent speed and torque. I also want a fun, comfortable bike that I don't have to fight to ride. So, anyone got any ideas, or should I just stick with what I've got. Any ideas you guys have would be awesome. Thanks in advance, and please don't tell me how cruisers will never keep up with sport bikes, we're comparing apples to oranges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 06:49 AM
Squidwannabe

Who thinks a sportster has 112 HP ? Sounds like an idiot to me..

What I can tell you is this... The VTX is big and heavy and powerful. The sportster has a great after market for the 1200cc engine. The 1200cc engine is pretty reliable also so hop it up a little!
I rode a Vulcan 1500 and a Road King(1340cc) back to back, I liked the Vulcan way better.
Im sure the Honda will have tons of power.

Oh by the way, a cruiser will never keep up with sport bike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 01:10 PM

Talking

Surprise, I love my VTX! I have been through a number of cruisers, Fat Boy, Victory 92C, and a Sportster. Other than the Sportster, which is now my wife's, I was glad to see them go (the FB broke ALL the time and the Vic's girth was too wide for me [a problem they fixed recently, I understand]).

I am a sportbike rider, and sometime amatuer sportbike racer.

If you have the need for occassional bursts of speed, yet want to have something comfortable to cruise around on and maybe hang your chick on the back of, the VTX is it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:32 AM

Talking

Quote:
.......contrary to other Sportster owners in here, does not have 112 hp and 145 ft. lb. of torque. - trigger
ROFLMFAOKSO!!!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 03:14 PM

Thumbs up

We recently had a Poker Run here that Honda graced with pair of new Goldwings and VTXs for demos. I didn't ride the VTX (not my cup of tea), rode the 'Wing. Sweet, but I'd have to get used to the seating.

Oh, sorry, you wanted to know about the VTX.

Everybody who did demo it came away impressed. Since most of the riders on the Poker run were cruisers and tourers, seems like Honda has done good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode