Have you rode the VTX yet? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

This thing is unreal, just crusing down the road you can light the rear tire at will and no " VIBRATION " well almost, you get just a little at idle. You guys have to ride one of these things.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:25 PM

I stopped by my local bike shop today and they had 3 of them. I must say it is a sweet looking bike. If I were ever going to make the switch to a cruiser, that would be my choice.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 03:44 PM

I'd love to ride one, but all of the dealerships I've talked to are extremely weird about letting customers test ride VTX's. Our local Honda shop told me that they'd let me test ride one if I'd sign a purchase contract first. Hello! The whole point of a test ride is to find out if I want to buy one or not. I've contacted a few Honda dealerships in Denver, one told me I couldn't test ride one unless I had a Colorado driver's license, the rest said they didn't have any that weren't spoken for already.

I don't know why these dealerships have this attitude that customers are just supposed to buy a bike based on its looks. I certainly wouldn't buy a new car without test driving it first, and car dealers usually offer a test drive. It should be same with motorcycles. I'm 42 years old, and I have more than 30 years of riding experience. It's not like I'm out to trash some dealership's new bike. I just want to find out if the VTX is going to meet my needs.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

The dealers here are the same way, but I spent some time on this thing today. It's a really nice bike and with all that weight handles really well through the canyons.
Nothing Like a sportbike I'm sure, but then again I like having women on the back so I'll stick to cruisers.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 08:35 AM

Wild Mike

Did you test ride a VTX before you bought one?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Didn't get to ride one first

Nope, I couldn't convince them to let me loose on one even if I left them the keys to my bike. But after riding everything from Harleys to Goldwings I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. I sold my custom Harley for this monster for one main reason "Vibration" I hate it and could never get ride of it on my Harley. The bigger I built it the more it vibrated. Sorry I'm past the stage of being a yuppie and I like to go cruising for hours on end so it was time. Don't get me wrong I really like Harleys there are so many things you can do with them, and for bar hopping it's great. The VTX is a level above that, A ton of power without having the vibration "NONE"!!!
I love it and will take all the ribbing from my friends, but we will see, I could have bought two of these in different colors for the price of my custom Harley. This is just my feeling and you will see me in the pack of Harleys cruising around, my friends don't care we just like riding.
Be Good
Mike
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 12:18 PM

Engine vibration is a Harley trait. I haven't seen one yet with a smooth running engine. Maybe if Harley's engineers would get off of their duffs and design some new engines, they could build some that are smooth. Harley's 1950's technology just doesn't cut it anymore! I won't even discuss the massive overpricing of Harleys.

If I can't find a Honda dealership that is willing to let me test ride a VTX, I'm going to contact Honda's corporate headquarters and complain about this bull****! This sh** is ridiculous! I don't know how they can expect customers to plop down 13 grand for a bike without test riding it first. I sure as he** won't do it!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 07:35 PM

Finally! I received an e-mail response from a Honda dealer in Denver who said they have an Illusion blue VTX arriving in 5-7 days that I can test ride. The salesman who contacted me said they already turned down two offers for this bike, as they are going to keep it for a while to use for test rides. Way too cool!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 08:30 AM

There should be some available at the Honda Hoot for test riding too, I would think.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 09:24 AM

Passenger accomodations

If you carry a passenger on the vtx you will at the very least, need a backrest. A Corbin saddle with a backrest would probably be a better option(when they come out). I took my wife out on my vtx and she hated it. The bike has a lot of torque everywhere and due to this the passanger has to constantly fight to stay on the little pillion, and if you throw bumps into the equation it becomes a nightmare. She says she would rather ride her gsxr 750 because it is more comfortable--that's pretty bad folks. Never thought I would see the day when the words gsxr750 and comfort were in the same sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode