I own a Honda VTX 1800 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: VTX -- Like?
Yes? 15 75.00%
No? 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I wanted this to be in the big thread, but it got closed on me before I could get there.

I just got my VTX last week. Here are some answers to questions I know are coming:

Why VTX? I wanted the power, specifically the torque, because I like streetlight races, but I no longer have the time to hop-up something myself.

Why not a sportbike? A true sportbike (of which I have ridden plenty), while better in something twisty, seldom has this much 0-30. Plus, they just don't look as cool. Plus, it's hard for my wife to ride a SB with me (when I'm not being an on the lights)

Why not Harley? too many posers, too slow, too expensive. I ride bikes to be an original. Too many Harley people are just lemmings following the crowd. Do I wish I had one? No, although I do like the rumble. I used to have a Fboy and its was pretty cool. I will fix the sound, though, when HardKrome or someone comes out with pipes that don't mess with the fuel injection.

What's it really like? Fast. Bizzarley smooth at high speeds (100-110 mph). It's like a Mercedes, in some ways -- you get going too fast before you notice.

the torque takes some getting used to. On some sharp turns, I've over-accelerated twice now getting going. Scared the shit out of me for a milisecond before I figured out what the hell I was doing.

The back wheel will light up (chirp) going into second or even third under heavy acceleration.

The Brakes took a little while to get going. I think there was some invisible crap on the disc from the factory.

Handles very well for a big bike. It feels, in all but the time when I went to the gym, squatted, and went on the bike with legs thrashed out, like a 500. The seat height gives great confort and confidence. It's not at all unweildy like a Valk.

Cross winds are ignored by it.

Nits: the rev limiter kicks in too soon. Someone needs to come out with a smaller radiator, or a way to hide it. Otherwise, it's beautiful.

Chicks dig it. I've had the good trashy kind nearly hurt themselves coming to look at it. Always nice. This never happened with my Ducati. I think the vibrations from V-twins make their implants feel better.

I already took some of it apart, just because that's what I do. I looked at most parts. The bulk are Jap or unmarked, but an easy third of what I could get to(cables, battery, seat, just for instance) say Made In America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 11:07 AM

Thumbs up Very Cool...

Right on, my Brutha'.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyDave
...I ride bikes to be an original. Too many Harley people are just lemmings following the crowd...
Isn't it weird that just a few years ago that is exactly what Harley riders said about Japanese bikes?

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 01:05 PM

So what the hell is the poll question?
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 08:29 PM

Question

When did we become "CruiserWorld"???
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 12:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
The VTX is okay if you like dreadnoughts, I think it looks kind of neat. But I'd get bored with it pretty fast.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 05:14 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!
When did we become "CruiserWorld"???
You got a problem with cruisers buddy ? How bout a fat lip ?
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Regarding my lemming comment and the irony of it: What is truly ironic is that I used to ride a Harley back then and left harley because of the RUBS, er, I mean lemmings, that have taken over the brand.

Plus, the Harley dealer in my kneck of the desert is a prick. I went in to find summer chaps and couldn't even find a person to talk to; they were in the back drinking expresso, I kid you not. What a crock.

Sorry this cruiser talk crept into sportbikeworld. The VTX is a "sportbike" in the way an old muscle car compares to a Ferrari: probably faster in the straighawayish areas, but killed in the corners.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyDave
...The VTX is a "sportbike" in the way an old muscle car compares to a Ferrari: probably faster in the straighawayish areas, but killed in the corners...
CrazyDave,

You're joking, right? A VTX couldn't smoke a Ninja500 on the straights.

Killed in the corners? DEAD in the corners.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

No, I wasn't joking, just not clear. I was talking real-world speeds people get to from a stop light, not on-the-highway-going-top-speed --- put differently, acceleration, the same thing muscle cars do so well.

Top end, before I personly got the shakes on the thing (but not the top end of the bike) was 135 by the speedo, whatever that translates to real world; don't know, probably 130.

On a related topic, I can tell that the engine is held back A LOT by the rev limiter. I would not be surprised to see a chip and maybe some agressive pipes (coupled with re-placement of the pegs/seat to a more aggressive stance) that could create some customs out of this monster akin to the old Cobras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode