Aprilia, is it worth it? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Will the new Aprilia Mille and Mille R be worth the price? I can't find MSRP, or much comparison to any bikes similar. Will it be able to compete in the V-twin market?

Below is a picture of the RSV Mille R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsv_mille_r.jpg (45.4 KB, 270 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 08:05 AM

Thumbs down

Are they worth it is all relative:

Are you RICH? Do you put a huge value on Poser status? Do you race -seriously race? Do you just Looooooove Aprilias for some reason? Do you care if you have only one dealership to take your bike to in reasonable distance? Do you mind spending a MINT every -too often- to have your bike serviced? Or are you just willing to go in debt just to have a 'unique' ride.

My answer is NO to Aprilia and Ducati. They are VERY good looking bikes, but no where near worth the money and hastle. HD is right up near this category too, but were talking sportbikes
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:20 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!
Are they worth it is all relative:

Are you RICH? Do you put a huge value on Poser status? Do you race -seriously race? Do you just Looooooove Aprilias for some reason? Do you care if you have only one dealership to take your bike to in reasonable distance? Do you mind spending a MINT every -too often- to have your bike serviced? Or are you just willing to go in debt just to have a 'unique' ride.

My answer is NO to Aprilia and Ducati. They are VERY good looking bikes, but no where near worth the money and hastle. HD is right up near this category too, but were talking sportbikes
Shame on you, Kyle. I'm somewhat disappointed with your reply. Geez, we've been friends now for what, 12-15 years?

I almost bought a 2K Mille-R, but found that the 2K1 "standard" is a better handling bike that the 2K "R." I still may get one. I'm just having a hard time deciding on my next bike. The Mille is one of my top 3 cchoices.

I wouldn't hesitate to own one. Has anybody heard negative feedback with regards to Aprilia? Of course not. No more than it's Japanese competitors. The Aprilia's are a very reliable bike. Ducati's are too, if you take good care of them. Who cares if one bike requires more maintenance than another. Whatever blows your skirt up.

I'd take an Italian bike over a Honda with a quickness. I don't care about touring or "Honda reliability." Why would you want the same bike as every other swingin' crank in the 'hood. I guess I'm just a poser.

Honda - KIA, what's the difference?

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:40 AM

What Paul was saying is the Aprilia and Ducati can't run with the RC-51. Basically he is pissed that the Aprilia or Duc can't touch the $9999 RC-51.

Seriously, the RSV Aprilia is one of the best damn liter twins on the road. It definitely competes with the competition and wins in some categories. If you can afford it then yes it is worth it. They are fairly reliable but there aren't as many dealers/mechanics for them as compared to the Jap dealers. Parts are a little slow but since they are fairly reliable these things shouldn't be a major deal.

BTW, it has the ugliest stock exhaust can on the market so plan on spending a few hundred extra to scrap that.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:42 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser
Why would you want the same bike as every other swingin' crank in the 'hood.
I hear ya man. Thats the same reason I bought a Benelli tornado. The guys at the bike show were just as happy as I was when I put my 50$ down deposit on one, They couldn't stop laughing ....
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 10:28 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!

I won't be as kind and gentle as Paul. This is a crock of shit, Kyle. I won't answer the "Are you rich?" question, but yes, I am. Poser status? WTF?! There are posers riding *every* kind of bike made, including VFRs, so shut up with that crap. I love Aprilias for their looks, 60 deg v-twin, and what the company has done in just 2 years of WSB (and I even like that big ass muffler!). Don't associate the cost of up-keep with that of Ducati. If you knew anything about the Mille powerplant, you'd know that that is an uneducated comparison. As for racing, the Aprilia Milles are not that much more racer-esque than that CBR900RR you had, and if you did your research before opening your pie-hole, you'd know that the Milles are damn Near as reliable and not materially more costly to maintain. There are four Aprilia dealers here in Houston, with one being only 15 minutes from my house, which is 10 minutes closer than the nearest Honda dealer. Like Paul said, whatever blows your skirt up is well worth it. And don't ask me why I'm spending $7,000 less for a 929!!!

DISCLAIMER: Kyle and I are friends (at least he thinks so), so he'll know how to take this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 10:42 AM

From what a local Aprilia shop owner was saying, the RSV Mille is considerably cheaper than a Duc 996. They also use standard spring valves, so the service is no different than a Japanese bike. They claim to have prices for service comparable to that of what everyone else is charging for Japanese bikes also. The Duc's of course are going to need much more frequent valve service because of the desmo solid lifter valves.

After eyeballing the RSV Mille 1000R, I can definitely appreciate where the money goes. Nickel plated front forks, carbon fiber out the arse, etc. They have many trick parts from the factory for the price I suppose.

Anyhow, they are not as bad as Ducati's pricewise is what I've been told, and they are cheaper to service, need it less frequently, and are perhaps more reliable.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 12:42 PM

I think the only difference between the standard RSV and the RSV-R is the suspension. The R version has Ohlins R&T fork and shock. Roadracing World magazine turned identical lap times on both bikes, so the standard version is no slouch. Chances are you'll have to revalve and replace the springs of the Ohlins suspension to accomodate your weight, anyway, so the standard version and some aftermarket shock and fork or fork rebuild may be the better buy.

The Aprilia being raced in World Superbike is the "SP" version, which uses a totally different engine than the RSV and RSV-R including a special adjustable frame. The Cosworth-built motor of the SP has more room to grow in the HP department, while the Rotax unit of the other bikes can only take so much hot-rodding before it starts breaking parts. Unfortunately, the SP, besides costing as much as a year's subscription to your favorite call girl, is competition-use only.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 01:40 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo
... Unfortunately, the SP, besides costing as much as a year's subscription to your favorite call girl, is competition-use only.
That would be the European call girls... this is another area where the Japanese are much cheaper!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 01:43 PM

Mille is 13,900
Mille R 17,300
Falco 11,300

If your paycheck allows you to be shopping in this range, I'd take the Mille over a 748, or an R over a 996. The Falco is almost reasonable, I'd say it's worth more than an RC51. Everyone has heard the sob stories about Duc maintanence, there is at least some truth to them. DO NOT lump Aprilia in with them, they've had nothing but good reliability so far.
Personally, exclusivity doesn't mean much to me and I'm poor, so I'd sooner pay $10K for Japan's best. But, if the extra few thou is within your means, YES- the Aprilias are worth considering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode