Honda VTX 1800 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 05:22 AM
Pete

I know this isn't Cruiserworld.com, but...

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:55:46 -0800 (PST)
To: [email protected]
Subject: Honda VTX1800 Test @Motorcycle.Com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The newest and most hard-core entry into the power-cruiser market is
Honda's VTX 1800. With bores nearly four inches wide and valves larger
than a P-51 Mustang's, this new Honda is all about power. Oh, it looks
pretty good, too.

We recently sampled the bike at the press intro in Santa Barbara and came
away quite inmpressed with the newest boulevard bad-ass..

Stop by Motorcycle.Com (http://www.motorcycle.com) to read all about it!

Maximum Respect,

Motorcycle Online | http://www.motorcycle.com/ | [email protected]
"The World's Largest and Most-Read Digital Motorsports Magazine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 06:30 AM

Can you say Harley crusher!
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 06:45 AM

That is a very sharp machine. Got to see one at the motorcycle show in Atlanta. It is big.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 06:55 AM

Red face Not for me...

:RANT MODE ON:
I can see where the big cruiser market is going. Now that everyone is done trying to immitate the Harleys, they are actually coming up with some custom designs. I can appreciate that more than something that is a copy of an original, however, I still think that a Honda cruiser has no place in this world. I realize that they are very technologically advanced compared to Harley, but they simply do not have the charisma needed to inspire true cruiser feel (for me). I've owned Intruders and Shadows and this new bike is no different than them, just with a better look that will appeal to more baby-boomers. If you want a cruiser that will make you feel like never going home [or leaving the shop(for accessories and service!)] buy a Harley, you'll never wish you'd bought the VLX.
:RANT MODE OFF:
They do have some nice custom peices for this bike though, and as soon as somebody makes drag pipes for it, I might be a little easier on it!
Cheers.

Bikes owned:
1979 Kawasaki KM100
1984 Kawasaki KLX 250
1985 Honda Shadow 500
1988 Suzuki Intruder 750
1988 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
1998 Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja
2001 Suzuki GSX R-1000
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 08:44 AM

There's a market for everything. Cruisers are BIG money makers! They're premium-priced (often more than sportbikes), and the people who buy them are older, affluent types. I'm sure there's an entire segment of the demographic pie chart that wants a "modern-looking" cruiser with modern performance (and Honda quality and reliability doesn't hurt). AND THE VTX IS DEFINITELY NOT A HARLEY IMITATION. I DON'T SEE THE RESEMBLANCE!!!!!!!! CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 08:48 AM

THIS LOOKS BADA$S!!!!!!!

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 09:31 AM
Pete

Re: Not for me...

Quote:
Originally posted by machman
[BI still think that a Honda cruiser has no place in this world.
[/B]
Can I assume that you think the same of Kawasaki cruisers? If they have no place, don't you think sales would fall off? And obviously you don't know that profits from cruiser sales help considerably to fund the development of sportbikes.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 09:48 AM

Red face Re: Not for me...

Quote:
Originally posted by machman
:I still think that a Honda cruiser has no place in this world.

Says who? I think Honda, and the other Jap. bikes, are doing a great job in the segment and the Harley riders are wonding just what the hell they spend all that money on. This VTX is going to PISS OFF some Harley Yuppies who just spent double the $$ on half the bike.

Quote:
I realize that they are very technologically advanced compared to Harley
DAMN straight! So the appeal of a Harley is????? Poser status?

Quote:
but they simply do not have the charisma needed to inspire true cruiser feel (for me). I've owned Intruders and Shadows and this new bike is no different than them
NO different!?!? LOL! so you've ridden one? ~I think not and you are just making an ass-umption based on a Inturder and Shadows that you rode -back when-.

What is 'true cruiser' feel? I havent ridden the VTX, But I did ride my buddies Shadow Aero and I have ridden a 2000 Fatboy. I gotta tell ya, I would take the Honda. Even though the Honda had about 4k dumped into it to make it the sweet ride it is, it still comes in $7000 under the Fatboy sticker!!

Quote:
...buy a Harley, you'll never wish you'd bought the VLX.
ITS A VTX MAN! Are we even talking about the same bike!!
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 11:58 AM

So I guess you cancelled that 929 order Pete? Well, atleast it saved you the trouble of having to sell it.

That is a sweet ass bike. Just when I thought I didn't like cruisers anymore...dammit Pete, I might have to get one too.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 01:02 PM

If I was going to get anything that big, I'd just get a new Wing. For an elephant bike, the new Wing is pretty impressive. The problem I have with the cruiser/hog bikes is that after a while they get boring. Not so with sporties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode