The verdict in the 600 hp war. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

The latest Cycle News has the 600 comparison. Bikes included the Ducati 748, Triumph TT600 and all of the real 600s.

Ducati = 88.3hp
Honda F4i = 95.5hp
Kawi ZX6R = 92.3hp
Suzuki GSXR = 100.2
Triumph TT600 = 91.4
Yami R6 = 97.1

Overall rating from Cycle News:

Suzuki = 4.8
Honda = 4.7
Yamaha = 4.2
Kawasaki = 3.7
Triumph = 2.2
Ducati = 1.8

A nice quote from Peter Jones about the bikes.

"I'm nearly paralyzed by the equally attractive yet subtly different temptations of each of these bikes. The problem is, the's no right answer. And there's no wrong answer..." yada, yada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 05:14 AM

100 hp from a stock 600! Thats amazing.The diff between the Suz and Triumph is almost 10 hp.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 08:16 AM
Ian

It's odd that the F4i isn't a tad higher. The old F4 did more than that in a lot of dyno wars. Weird. Impressive numbers on the Gixxer.

Ian

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:42 PM

I also don't see how that Honda was so low, as other reports from around have shown it to be around 98-99 rwhp. Anyhow, I might add that is how I predicted them to fall! At least what I predicted at the Motorcycle Online shootout thread

My pick from all I have read would be, however:

Honda
Suzuki
Yamaha
Ducati
Kawasaki
Triumph

Honda has the best looks now for MY personal taste, with a remap and pipe it will be over 100hp undoubtedly, and after having and F3, now a GSX-R 750, I realize I WANT that comfort of a Honda. Sure I'm young, but even being young, Suzi's aren't very comfortable, even on short rides, on the street (at least for someone who is 6')

[Edited by Rob Nance on 01-28-2001 at 04:47 PM]
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 01:25 AM

Just for the record, I am sick of the 600cc comparos. Seems like that is all they write about. Why not do a write up on a compairison on speed of stripping all the bikes to the frame with a flat head screw driver and a cresent wrench? Just tired of the same articles that end up saying "This years crop of 600cc sportbikes are the best yet. Each bike seems to have it's own niche in the market, but you just can't go wrong with any of the bikes!"
Just buy the color scheme you like and you probibly won't outride your bike.
I'll shut up now.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 02:14 AM

They are all afraid of pissing off their advertisers, or potential advertisers. Comparos are waste of time IMO, I tend to just ignore them. Its rare to get a truly honest evalution, unless its a single bike review.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 04:32 AM

Talking

I think the numbers will change some with different dynos, and different testers, Plus none of the dynos take into advantage the RAM air systems. But the Suz will still have the high hand.
None of the mags put much emphasis on the street riding most of us do. Its mostly track time. I mean I do alot more commuting on my bike than corner carving.
The reason you see so many 600 articles is because they are the biggest sellers. They have the biggest market share for sportbikes!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Different dynos will give different numbers. That is why this was a good comparison for hp. Same dyno and same/similar conditions. Very seldom to the bikes get dynoed on same dyno and same day. Actually I am assuming that is what was done. I did not read all of the BS print on each bike. I read the opinions of the writers/riders. None of the dynos do a very good job of simulating ram air effects. They put blowers in front of the ducts but it provides steady flow. So, we will have to assume that all of the manufacturers have close to the same ability of applying ram air performance. That can be a gross assumption but it's all we have for now. I agree that the Suzuki is still going to come out on top in this group of bikes, in the hp wars.

I like 600 comparisons now that I know FunkyJon doesn't like them.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:11 PM

THE BEST 600 IS...

I shouldn't even bother responding to this, because it really doesn't matter, but here goes:

This is the absolute BEST 600 on the market...

"The one you like the best" Ta-dah!

There. I said it! If you're a Honda guy, the F4i is the most kick-ass 600 going. Nobody's going to tell you any different. If you're a Suzuki guy, there's nothing better than the GSXR. If you like Ducatis...

And on and on and on. I mean, really. Who cares how they "compare" any more? No rider is better than any of today's bikes, so just figure out which one you like the best, or get the best deal on. Personally, I'd never buy the Suzuki. But that's only because all the Suzuki dealers around here are scum bags. On the other hand, I've got good Yamaha, Honda, and Ducati connections. So that's pretty much where I shop.

But it's not like people gather at the local riding spot or race track, and then spend the day comparing dyno charts and magazine reviews, right?

Just buy a bike and go ride it. That's all there is to it. They're all good.

(Except those gay RC51's.)

[Edited by AZ Scott on 02-04-2001 at 12:13 AM]
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: THE BEST 600 IS...

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ Scott

But it's not like people gather at the local riding spot or race track, and then spend the day comparing dyno charts and magazine reviews, right?

(Except those gay RC51's.)

[Edited by AZ Scott on 02-04-2001 at 12:13 AM]
I was confused about the gathering around with the dyno charts until you put that last line in. I was thinking... of course we pose with our dyno charts. I have my latest chart stenciled on the fuel tank for convenience. Is it just us RC-51 guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode