2001 R1/CBR929/GSXR1000 choice; with a twist... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Question

I'm buying a new bike next year, possibly earlier, but stumped on which one. I'd like to hear some opinions after you read AND CONSIDER my dilemma:

I can get the R1 and CBR929 very cheap, and immediately. I know everything about these bikes because I was going to buy one (929)last year before I ended up buying my NSX instead. Now my choices include a new bike that I don't really know that much about, except for what the magazines say. Here's the lowdown the way I see it:

2001 Yamaha R1: $9299, Best looking, not real comfortable, awesome power but not really user friendly power. Less reliable than Honda, more than Suzuki. Basically a wheelie machine with good looks. Available immediately.

2001 Honda CBR929: $8999, Worst looking, most comfortable, Best reliability and reputation. More usable power than R1, but slower overall. Cheapest and my personal choice due to reputation and love for Honda bikes basically.

2001 Suzuki GSXR1000: $10200-10400 (lowest I could get). Excellent looks save for a few spots I'd probably try to hide, Ungodly power, comfort and power range unknown but probably excellent in both. Reliability leaves immense amounts to be desired. Don't really want to have to say I own a Suzuki based on past reputation, although the GSXR750 changed some of that (not reliability). Can't get until March 2001 or later.

Ok, I know where my choice is already, but maybe someone can sway me. I'm ready to either buy or put a deposit down immediately, so I'd like some ideas. Are my OPINIONS totally off base? Those prices are actual prices I can get them for, I'd take the Suzuki if I could get it around the R1/929 prices, but I think I'd still be in for the first year production problems. Anyway.....IDEAS?
Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 12:29 AM

Hey forget those bikes! Get the new Goldwing!! Its so sweet! Great power, you KNOW the comfort and reliability!

Ok, honestly, get the 929 unless you're on the track alot. You said it yourself: the 929 is more comfy and has better street manners.

I agree with what you said about the Suzuki, especially the first year of a new design?!? It will be a great bike by the second year though, even being a Suzuki.

The R1 is a different story. Chris LOVES his and Im sure it's a great bike, but I test rode one ~ya, only for about 3 miles on city streets~ but I was no blown away with power like I anticipated. Very nice bike anyway and looks to kill!
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 12:57 AM
Pete

Killer, first, WELCOME to Sportbikeworld!

It sounds like you have done a bit of research. Can we assume that you have some experience riding sportbikes? I ask because someone with little experience, IMO, would be better off with the 600cc class of sportbikes. Yeah, less "bark" than the litre bikes, but also less "bite", if you know what I mean.

So, now stepping off of my soapbox, my vote goes to the 929 for the reasons you stated. It's way more sportbike than any rider will ever sensibly need on the street. Same with the R1, GSXR1000, and the ZX9R, but I like Honda just a smidgeon better.

Again, welcome to SBW! Let us know which way you go.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 01:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
nsx, i'm assuming you have ridden a sportbike for some amount of time, so i won't bore you with 'sv650/msf/little bikes will make you faster' talk. but if i'm wrong, read small bikes kick ass

the dependability issues you refer to are mainly, well, crap.

the gsxr won't have the tranny problems the 750 has.

the r1 has the cush drive and hub problem, but should be fixed by now. even if it's not, i talked to chris at fcycle.com (a parts dealer) and he bought rc comp rims for his. there is such a high demand for r1 wheels that the new rims didn't cost 'that much'.

honda does have a great dependability rep, but it's not a valid reason to buy one.

now if i was picking, the r1 would be sweet, but it is uncomfortable, worse than a 916 (imo).

the gsxr (well i own a 00 750). but then everyone wants to talk about how cool your bike is and all that (it does get annoying).

then there's the 2001 929. i was looking at it in yel/black and i have to say it a looker.

my girlfriend won't ride on the back of an r1 rider seat is too long. she no fan of the gsxr, so maybe the 929 would've been a better choice.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

First of all, thanks everybody that replied. Trust the fact that I'm reading all the responses whether or not I reply.

Pete- Thanks for the welcome, I've actually been registered to this board for quite awhile as (I think) Renegade55, but I couldn't get that profile to work so I gave up, my email has changed anyway. I've posted mainly in the Kawasaki area (own a '93 ZX-6e, selling it this weekend). I've been riding for 7+ years, so I have the experience and need a bigger bike. I'm a huge sportbike fan (have been for years) and read all the magazines and online articles/forums, so yeah, I have done plenty of research.

cbrf2boy- My choice would be the Yellow/Black in the 929, blue in the R1, or silver/black in the gsxr. Don't take this as a flame, I'd looking for info, not a fight: How do you know the gsxr1000 won't have the tranny problems or the 750, or different (major) problems altogether? I think Suzuki's have had a long reputation as the least reliable of the big 4 (kaw,honda,yam, suz), even if they have cleaned that image up some lately, I'm still worried. Reliability IS a major factor for me- I've had a '93 ZX-6 that has never had ANY major problems, and runs perfect as old as it is. I'd like my next bike to do the same for me, whether it's under warranty or not.

Well, it looks so far like my choice of the 929 is being upheld. Thanks for the input!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 03:26 AM
Pete

Well, Killer, glad to see that you are still around!

Quote:
Originally posted by cbrf2boy
honda does have a great dependability rep, but it's not a valid reason to buy one.
Tony, how can dependability not be "valid"? Or did you really mean to say that it is not an exclusive reason, as in you shouldn't buy anything but a Honda because of their reputation for dependability? I'm just curious, because I have never heard anyone dispute the validity of dependability (well, except for Ducati owners. HeHe, j/k!)
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 04:07 AM

Guys

Keep the information and opinions coming. I too am at this stage of the buying process.

I was dead set on the black/yellow 929 until I went to the dealer to check it out and what was sitting right next to it... You guessed it a '01 R1!! I haven't been near too many to really take a close hard look at one... Well I did and fell in love.

As much as I love Honda's and the 929 represents top of the line technology, it is a bit bland looking and really doesn't grab me by the nuts like I want, so to speak. Hell my VFR still keeps my eyes glued to it when I'm not on it. That's how the R1 is for me.

Unfortunately I have never ridden either of these bikes but in the showroom they felt so similiar in rider position that I am swaying the R1 route. The R1's handlebars seem to be narrower(ala gixxers) and the 929's are wider(which I prefer)... The windscreens, though the 929 looks a little better, will both smack me right in the chest and probably work with the pull of the bike to throw me off the back. The biggest thing came from a few friends that were with me said I looked like I fit the R1 better. That my legs at least fit the cut-out on the tank better than the 929. My legs are above the cutouts on the 929 unless my ass is at the back of the seat, and we all now the 929 has a tendency to always push you forward.

So anyway, I am a bit torn in the same way NSX is. I can get the R1 for about the same price as the 929 or close, so it's not a money issue.

I still am leaning towards the R1 though, on sheer looks.

Ian
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

2000VFR- That's a good point, I've never been on a R1.

Any 2000/2001 R1 owners that can give some insight into the degree of improvements over the '99 R1 (windshield, riding position, basic comfort, etc)?
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 05:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
tony should be a little softer.

NSX, the shift shafts on the 750 are hollow, the fix is a solid shaft which are supposed to used on the 1000. i haven't heard one bit on trouble with the solid staffs. that's why i doubt that you'll see the same troubles. as for other problems, i'd doubt it because it shares so much with the 750 which is in it's second year. trust me i'm not here to sell you a bike. and if you are scared of suzuki's dependability, don't buy it. no flame felt.

PETE, the reason i mention the dependability isn't a viable (though you're right in that should say shouldn't be the only factor) reason to buy a bike is because most segments of japanese motorcycles are all pretty well built and fairly equal. i'm not denying honda's rep, but every manufacturer is building a good bike (except for the 00 750 tranny problems).

last year when roadracingworld compared the 929, gsxr750, r1 and zx9r they said you really couldn't go wrong if bought one based on color alone.

[Edited by cbrf2boy on 11-15-2000 at 09:47 AM]

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 05:54 AM
Pete

I'd highly recommend riding before buying, but that is much easier said than done.

Ian, when you think about it, it should be easy to make a decision based on looks when these bikes are so closely matched performance-wise (I know it's not easy, but you get the point). The 929 is a bit more flickable and for most, has better street ergos, but the R1 does have the edge in power-to-weight ratio. The 929 has FI, but the R1's carburetion is excellent. The 929 has a cooler tail trunk.

Get the one that gives you wood!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode