2001 RC51?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Question

hey all,

i was wondering if anyone has any information regarding the 2001 RC-51's? firstly, IS there going to be one?
secondly, if so, then by when would they roll in? and any changes expected on the bike?

some dealers are taking deposits on the bike and have indicated November for delivery. while there is another dealer that strongly believe's that they will dicontinue the RC!!

i was just curious to see if anyone had any relevant info......

thanks!

------------
arif
'99 F4 (stolen)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 11:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
arif,

the word i hear is y2k+1 51 is a go. but i've been told by a few people the 929 is more fun to ride. i haven't rode either, so can't say.

sorry about the 4 dude, it was nice.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 12:56 PM

My dealer says that it is highly unlikely that Honda would only produce the RC for one year. They speculate that the price will go up $100-$200 and there would be minor refinements. I kind of agree with their thinking. They have no idea or predictions on the numbers being imported.

As for the 929 being more fun, I believe that would have to be personal preference. I was unsure if I would like the torquey V-twin grunt more that the high RPM rush of the inline 4s. It only took one blast of the RCs fuel injection and I made up my mind.

The RC only gives up a couple of rear wheel HP on the 929 and the RC has much more torque. If it were only as light as the 929. I'll take the twin please.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 06:39 PM

Question

Arif, I really think you should ride around for awhile on a twin before deciding. I dont think you will be happy with a twin. Just My Opinion though........

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 08:46 PM

Question

This may belong more in "race chat" but on the topic of the RC51, is it necessary for a manufacturer to provide X-number of bikes for public consumption EACH year for homologation (sp?) or is it a one-time deal as long as the bike is basically the same? Buehler? Class? Anyone?

------------------
"We don't got any beers. We got tequila, it's like beer."
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

kyle, tony, john:

thanks for the heads-up about the RC51/ twins. i will hopefully get to ride a '51 this weekend, and that should give me a better understanding of the RC.

kyle, read my Decide on a Bike thread in the How to Forum. i got a closer look at the 929 and it is looking attractive. my choices at this point are the 929, RC51, and R6. really wide open, huh? might even toss in the gsxr 750 and then we have an even greater mind-boggling situation!

damn the guy who stole my bike!!!

----------
arif
'99 F4 (stolen)

[This message has been edited by arif CBRF4 (edited July 18, 2000).]
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 05:31 AM

Kyle you better keep that opinion to yourself.

Seriously, Kyle is right about riding a twin first if you can.

Arif I can't remember how long you've been riding or what all you have ridden. I will say that I love the twin but if i had ridden nothing but high reving inline 4s all my life then I probably would not have adjusted well to the RC 51. It is very different than the inline 4s. Not as different from the V-4 which I did own(except for more HP).

Don't rush into anything. Since you are asking, I would say that you are thinking it over carefully. That's good IMO.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 05:56 AM

Talking

Lol John, Nothing at all against twins, but as you say, they are very different than inlines.

Oh Poor Arif ~I wish I had the 'problem' of deciding between a handfull of supreme bikes!

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 06:01 AM

Word on the street is that the race kit will no longer be offered. So if you bought a RC51 and will be using it on the street, Sorry! It really is kicking ass on the track though. Just doesn't have what it takes in every day life. I know some will not agree. I do admit is a very nice machine but it just doesn't live up to the Honda Hype. Hey the R7 ain't a street machine either difference is the RC51 is working out better right off the bat than the R7. But ole Hagasan seems to disagree with me, thank God for that!

------------------
RLJ3RD
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 09:01 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tigerblade:
is it necessary for a manufacturer to provide X-number of bikes for public consumption EACH year for homologation
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually if I am not mistaken that requirement has only to be met for the year of production ie; 2000 year models. And that requirement has been met for the RC51.

------------------
RLJ3RD
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode