2006 - ZX10 vs. GSXR 1K - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to mainerdr
2006 - ZX10 vs. GSXR 1K

Anyone have any feedback I may have over looked in my comparison? Black ZX10 or the black and grey GSXR .

I am going to purchase one of these two bikes this spring. I have not sat on the 06 zx10 yet the are due to arrive in Feb around Maine. I have read the article in cycleworld on the new ZX10.

The only thing that pushes me away from the GSXR is that I am fairly certin that the 07 will be a completely redesigned bike given that the last two years are almost identical. It is a tried and true bike however.

I like the zx10's gage, OHLINS damp., simple styleing no wild graphics. New design, upgraded everything! Front brake mast. cyl. looks promising. I also like the idea of the redesigned engine to smooth out the vibrations and make its power delivery more linear. It's hard to invenst over 10K without riding either.

If members and fellow bike enthusiests can give me feed back to help me make a more educated choice, and give me different prosectives that I may otherwise overlook.

Thanks

*edit*
If you have negative or less than helpful comments please keep them to yourself...

Last edited by mainerdr; 01-09-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:38 AM

Interesting dilemma... Why are the CBR and R1 out of the picture?

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Good question,
I have ridden an 05 cbr and it was a nice ride however it lacks some power compared to the R1, GSXR and ZX (all 05's). The CBR is also the heaviest. The styling again hasn't changed much as well as the engine for quite some time. The CBR does nothing for me... more a personal choice.

As for Yamaha.... I ride with about 15 people on a consistant basis. 9 of them have R1's I have tried them out good power but not very comfortable for me, also everyone else has one...

I have always liked GSXR's for a long time! I have ridden/owned zx9's for 5 years now and I just have a soft spot in my heart for Kawi's.... Plus an all new zx10 it will either bomb or kick @ss.... Last two years the zx10 was a real threat in that class if not considered the top dog. To redesign it will either blow the others away because the others haven't changed much at all. Or it will bomb as some new models do...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:55 AM

I hear ya on R1's..
The CBR has been heavily redesigned for '06. This article really suck, but it gives some info Now, the author doesnt get any points in my book, but if the CBR has in fact been made competetive after these revisions, well... I always loved the honda front end. That said..

I absolutley despise the new ZX10. Its a looks thing really... But I havent rode it. The '06 gixxer should be the same as '05, so expect ungodly throttle responce (more so the the '05 10R, and it sounds like the '06 will have even less) Wether you think thats good or bad is entirely your call.
I think its safe to say that the ergos havent changed on the kawi between the generations, and I much prefer them to the suzi. The gixxer feels like you are on a real big pocket bike. The bars are too close, and the low seat forces you to bend your legs too much. I really prefer the Kawi all out agressive stance.

Well thats my 2c. Let me know

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

Yeah, wish I would of waited on my CBR untill '06. But I couldn't resist at the time. Plenty of power for me anyway, and I really like the seating position. Good deal too.

-M-
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

vash where do you get the idea that the 06 zx10 will have less power than the 05? Is it the 10lb weight gain they are talking about?

In the CW with the review they said it felt tamer but they were testing it at 3500+ft. Ocean level they expected to be much more potent.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:06 AM

Not less power, less throttle responce

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

why do you say that?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:19 AM

Heavier flywheel for one. All this talk about how the made the power "tamer" only means one thing.. less bite when you first get on the throttle, since peak power is still high, they are simply giving it more time to build up. While this is good trackwise, there is just something cool about the uber responce that sends the busas front wheel pogoing...

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

The only "tamer" talk I have read was in regards to the OHLINS damp. it made the bike easier to ride under hard accel. The other tamer comment came out of cycle world which references the altitude where testing at 3500 ft if you look it up on...
http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/nh...on_factors.php you can calculate hp loss....

Heavier fly wheel and also heavier crank... "should" remove the engine vibration and also provide a more stable bike in fast corners with more centrifical force....?? in theroy....

I can't imagine that Kawi.. would make less power with a new engine just getting into the GP series with this new model.

edit:
good points VASH keep em comming if you have more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode