Old Sportbikes compared to 2000+ - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Magester
Old Sportbikes compared to 2000+

Hey guys... I am riding an 87 ninja 750. I am looking to purchase a used sportbike in the fall... I am thinking 750, since it is what i have now. I have never rode one, so I hope someone could tell me if i would be correct in thinking this?

Furthermore, i know that the new bikes are extremely different, but does it take alot of adjusting once you get on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:47 AM

If you can handle your 750 well you will be fine on the newer bikes. However any modern 600 will absolutely spank what you got now.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Gotcha. Would you recommend me getting a year 2000+ 600 then instead of the 2000+ 750? I wasnt sure the difference and was concerned that the new 600's would make me want a bigger bike too soon.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to ZX6R1033
Quote:
Originally posted by Magester
Gotcha. Would you recommend me getting a year 2000+ 600 then instead of the 2000+ 750? I wasnt sure the difference and was concerned that the new 600's would make me want a bigger bike too soon.

The ZX-7R was actually replaced by the ZX-6R, which produces within 2 hp of the 7 and is over 100 lbs lighter... It couldnt hurt to check one out.

With Supersport and superbike racing at an alltime high, the 750 class has been more or less left for dead as far as manufacturers are concerned. Therefore, ALL the newer technology in the supersport class is layed into either 600cc bikes, or liter bikes.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

So it sounds like the 600 might be the way to go since it is close to the 750's... I think a jump to a 900 would be too much... Need something to look forward to in the future...

I do have a friend with a 2002 Ninja ZX 7R with 4,000 miles... He wants to sell for 4,500... It is in good condition... I think this is a pretty solid deal... What do you think?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Magester
So it sounds like the 600 might be the way to go since it is close to the 750's... I think a jump to a 900 would be too much... Need something to look forward to in the future...

I do have a friend with a 2002 Ninja ZX 7R with 4,000 miles... He wants to sell for 4,500... It is in good condition... I think this is a pretty solid deal... What do you think?

He is asking 500 over Blue Book value.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:36 AM

Everything depends on your riding style and what the intended use is for (ie stunting, racing, drags, cruizin around, railin) what kind of riding? whats your style? this will make a huge difference in what bike is going to fit you.

Marriage comes with three rings, the engagement ring, the wedding ring and the suffering
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

I am really just a pleasure rider. I enjoy riding, and rather not get into stunts or anything... I dont want to hurt myself, but would like to have a good time and be rather aggressive... Definately not racing or anything of that sort, but I imagine a stock type of racing bike would be fun on the road...

I especially like the looks of the GSXR, Ninja's and the R6's... What type of bike do you think is a good bike fit for me pricewise, riding type, and looks?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 09:25 AM

What type of bike do you think is a good bike fit for me pricewise,

That is a hard call, since we dont know your price range.

riding type,

you are looking at the right catagory... and honestly, just about any supersport will do what you want it to. most all are comparable now-a-days.

and looks?

That is purely a decision call on your part... not one single person here can help you with that one.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:04 AM

the 750 you got now is your first bike right? enjoy it, get the hang of it, and you will find a favorite. Performance wise they are all about the same. Price is also within a few hundred dollars.. So the only thing left is styling and brand loyalty. Personally I think the gixxers are pretty weak looking. So I cant advise you there

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode