Thinking about buying an 04 CBR600RR - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about buying an 04 CBR600RR

I am not sure if I want to make that move yet but the CBR600RR is a sweet looking bike. The articles that I have read say that it is kinda porky. I am just merely thinking about selling my Ninja and buying the CBR. I wanted to know if any of you guys or girls have one or have ridden one to know how well it rides and responds. Oh yeah, I'm loving the red one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 09:29 PM

The 600RR weighs about 1-2 lbs less than the ZX-6 you own now, so I wouldn't worry about the weight.

The NEW ZX-6, R6, etc, weigh less than the RR, but you probably won't notice the weight difference.

It's a fantastic bike (I rode one for 2 full track days a few months back) and I like it better than my own track bike.

If I were buying a 600, it would be the RR.

ALL of the 600ss are great bikes, so you can't really make a bad choice.

"Take it to the track"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the input. I am not sure what the dry weight is on my ZX6R but I figured it couldn't be much different than the CBR. I just think, from what I've heard, that the quality of Honda is unsurpassed. Do you know if there are many aftermarket exhausts out there for it? I am only thinking about possibly buying the CBR right now because my Ninja is still in showroom condition, plus my wife is probably going to be pissed if I do this. The RR is so bad-ass!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 07:47 AM

Re: slip ons for RR

I'm pretty sure most of the major manufacturers are making pipes for this bike now. Jardine, (I thought) Akrapovic, all the big guns.

Re: Your wife...sometimes it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission...not in my case though, she'd throttle me!!

It IS a sweet looking ride...hope you can get it...I'll live vicariously through you.

"If it's sticky, wet, and not yours...don't touch it!"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
i was back and forth for MONTHS about which bike to buy (2004 R6 or CBR). Honda is known for their quality, but i really think most of that reputation comes from their automobiles (which really amazing). all of the big 4 japanese manufactures make really, really good products. i wouldn't be too woried about about it if you DONT get a Honda. the CBR does weigh more than other 600's, but from what i've heard it is all 'muscle tissue' and not 'fat', heh. something to do with Honda's 'mass centralization' theory is supposed to make the weight 'dissappere' when you going over like 15 mph. however, it's at the slow speeds where bikes start to become unstable, so the weight may make a *little* bit of difference there (but prolly insignificant). the finish (i also like the red/blk CBR) on Honda's is mindblowing. the paint they use just glows and glows. the seat on the CBR is *very hard*. if you get that bike you might want to get an aftermarket Corbin seat or buy a pair of those spandex bicycle shorts with ass-pads to wear under your pants if your gonna do long days in the saddle. and yes, there are number of aftermarket exhuasts for the CBR. check out www.kneedraggers.com. the CBR also will be slowest turning of the 04 600's becuase of it's extra weight. however, i kinda think 'slow turning sport bike' is an oxymornon
i ended up getting the R6 over the CBR, but just it was a tough, tough choice. ideally, i'd have both! i went with the R6 becuase i HATED the CBR dashboard (it looks so early 1980's), and the dash is the part of your bike that your going to be seeing the most off! the ergonomics of the R6 fit me a bit better than CBR. and i liked the styling of the R6 (slightly) better than the CBR, but only slightly. the CBR also cost $600.00 more. i'm sure if you get the CBR you'll love it....i know I still do

-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I agree with the hard seat thing. It is probably the hardest seat on any sportbike that I have sat on. Someone told me that once you ride it some that it will feel fine. I'm not sure if I am buying that info.
I have a question about lowering it . I am 5'6" with a 28 to 29" inseam. I have lowered all of the other bikes I have owned. I didn't know if there is any problem with changing the swing arm links on the CBR in order to lower the rear. I have been able to do this with every bike I have owned. I ride alot in traffic and like to have my feet firmly on the ground when I stop.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 04:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to slaintedan
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Sedition
.....the ergonomics of the R6 fit me a bit better than CBR. and i liked the styling of the R6 (slightly) better than the CBR, but only slightly. ...

Chris, would you mind posting your height/weight? Why did the R6 fit you better? What was it about the styling that made you like the R6 better?

I've been lusting after the 600RR since its introduction, but having sat on it several times I've found that my knees touch the gas tank at the point where the tank juts out, on top. The tank was designed for the rider's knees to tuck in under these bulges, but my knees hit just above this, right at the point where it's uncomfortable and I'm worried that I won't be able to comfortably squeeze the tank with my legs. Anybody have anything to offer on this subject? BTW, I'm 5'10" 190lbs.

Me for Emperor of America!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
i'm 5'10, and about 155. and the gas tank / knee issue is *exactlly* what fit me better on the R6. the CBR had a slight bit more of an upright position than the R6 (hence a bit more comfortable overall), but the R6 aloowed me to tuck a bit better, didn't feel as wide between my knees, and allowed me hug the tank a bit better. i had some issues with the stock placement of the brake peal on the R6 (have limited flexibility in righrt ankle form a skateboard injury), but that is adjustanble and was east to take care of.

as for the styling...i dunno, the solid color CBR's just looked a little to plain. the wing graphics don't appeal to me all that much. meanwhile, the R6 just looks bad-ass all over. the frontend/headlights are IMHO definatlly the best looking of all the 600's. the dashboard / red back-lighting is super cool. the graphics are minimal yet really stylish...i could go on and on. suffice to say, the R6 just 'spoke' to me bit louder over-all than the CBR did.

as for the knee thing you mentioned...my friend was gonna get a GSX. he is like 6'4. his knees were WAAAY over the tank. he got on an R6, and was able to deal with it much better

-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 04:53 AM

re: lowering

Quote:
Originally posted by NINJA DAD
I am 5'6" with a 28 to 29" inseam. I have lowered all of the other bikes I have owned. I didn't know if there is any problem with changing the swing arm links on the CBR in order to lower the rear. I have been able to do this with every bike I have owned. I ride alot in traffic and like to have my feet firmly on the ground when I stop.
I have a question for ya. How much do you usually lower your bikes? I am the same height with the same inseam. I have been debating doing this to my '01 F4i, however I've been hesitant to do this, because I'm unsure how much I'll have to lower the front.

How does it affect handling?

"If it's sticky, wet, and not yours...don't touch it!"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 05:10 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
Chris, would you mind posting your height/weight? Why did the R6 fit you better? What was it about the styling that made you like the R6 better?

I've been lusting after the 600RR since its introduction, but having sat on it several times I've found that my knees touch the gas tank at the point where the tank juts out, on top. The tank was designed for the rider's knees to tuck in under these bulges, but my knees hit just above this, right at the point where it's uncomfortable and I'm worried that I won't be able to comfortably squeeze the tank with my legs. Anybody have anything to offer on this subject? BTW, I'm 5'10" 190lbs.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Sedition
i'm 5'10, and about 155. and the gas tank / knee issue is *exactlly* what fit me better on the R6. the CBR had a slight bit more of an upright position than the R6 (hence a bit more comfortable overall), but the R6 aloowed me to tuck a bit better, didn't feel as wide between my knees, and allowed me hug the tank a bit better. i had some issues with the stock placement of the brake peal on the R6 (have limited flexibility in righrt ankle form a skateboard injury), but that is adjustanble and was east to take care of.

as for the styling...i dunno, the solid color CBR's just looked a little to plain. the wing graphics don't appeal to me all that much. meanwhile, the R6 just looks bad-ass all over. the frontend/headlights are IMHO definatlly the best looking of all the 600's. the dashboard / red back-lighting is super cool. the graphics are minimal yet really stylish...i could go on and on. suffice to say, the R6 just 'spoke' to me bit louder over-all than the CBR did.

as for the knee thing you mentioned...my friend was gonna get a GSX. he is like 6'4. his knees were WAAAY over the tank. he got on an R6, and was able to deal with it much better

-chr|s sedition
This is the exact reason I've been looking at the R's instead of the Honda's. I had this issue with my XX, and oddly enough the F4 we had fit my legs better than the XX. The current bikes I've been on that seemed to fit the best were the VFR, RC51, R6, and R1. All the others just don't work very well for longer legs. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam BTW.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode